U.S. Forest Service News Release (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

U.S. Forest Service announces improvements on Uwharrie OHV Trails​

Dickey Bell Trail, southern end of Rocky Mount Loop Trail, and parking for Dutch John Trailhead will be closed through July​

TROY, N.C., March 29, 2024—The U.S. Forest Service is continuing several maintenance and improvement projects for off-highway vehicle (OHV) trails in the Uwharrie National Forest. OHV enthusiasts should review their plans for the spring season as a handful of trails and parking areas will remain closed for much-needed maintenance and improvements.

While OHV trails on the Uwharrie National Forest will open for the season on April 1, maintenance and improvement projects will continue on the Dickey Bell Trail, the Dutch John Trailhead and the south end of the Rocky Mount Loop. These areas will be completely closed to all traffic.

Visitors should stay off the closed trails and use alternative trailheads while construction is underway as any damage done during this time will potentially delay completion of the project, currently planned by the end of July.

“The Uwharrie is a popular destination for OHV riders across the region, and while these upgrades may cause a small impact on their visits, we know this work will ultimately lead to a much safer and better-quality experience,” said District Ranger Susan Miller. “In the meantime, we encourage riders to enjoy one of the several other OHV trails and trailheads when the season opens.”

The following trails will be open to OHV traffic when the season starts on April 1:

• The northeast portion of Rocky Mount Loop
  • Sawmill Trail
  • Slab Pile Trail
  • Wolf Den Trail
  • Falls Dam Trail
  • Daniel Trail
  • Falls Dam Trailhead/Art Lilley Campground
  • Flatwoods Trailhead
  • Wolf Den Trailhead
  • Cotton Place Trailhead
  • Lakeview Trail

For updates on closures or for the latest trail maps, OHV riders can contact the Uwharrie National Forest District Office at (910) 576-6391 or visit the office at 789 Biscoe Road, Troy, NC 27371.

Good thing we have the Grand Overland trails on Friday for the Relic Run.

Amazing. All winter to get this stuff done. Smh.

"Temporary" closures are always scary.

I don't remember Kodak being temporary. They id'd an archeological site and put up fencing, but people didn't respect the boundaries. I recall it being above the main obstacle, to the right looking up from the bottom.

Validity of the claim aside, I remember it being closed because people couldn't stay on the trail, and that was a major reason why guardrails and fencing was put up everywhere else.

@krzyabncanuck can fill in the gaps here. He was in the thick of it around that time if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I see this as the forest service investing in the trails and preventing another Kodak from happening. They wouldnt have opened lake view if their goal was to close the trails down through "temporary closures".

I was thinking back to Tellico more than anything. Probably just my own PTSD and the USFS is doing the right thing here.

Despite my lack of use of URE in recent years, I hope to get back at it one day.

When we shut down Kodak it was never meant to be temporary. It was permanent.

All of the "D" trails are being rerouted on the hill climb portions of them eventually. Looks like they started on Dutch John first. This has been in the works for years now. The hill climbs are too wore down in their eyes. The rerouted have been flagged for a couple years now where they are going to go.

There was and still is a huge Indian artifact site still up on Kodak. I have been on it about 100 times now.

The real justification of closing Kodak was that and the following.

The Trail was too wide. Remind you of anything right now on Daniel ? Yep. It's getting too wide. When the trails are designed and developed they are only set for so wide. Once the Tread starts going off of that the USFS gets people out there to look at the impacts. If it is going to destroy something of importance we block that site off. If they can not keep people out then you know what is next.....

How many people here actually know we were going to loose Daniel if that workday in 2016 March did not get all the guard rail up ?

Yep. We were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom