TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AGM next time

Went to tractor supply to get the exide 27MDCST for my second battery. On the way home I had to swerve to miss someone that pulled out and the milk crate I had the battery in went tumbling. It me about 45 seconds to get off the road, acide leaked out and ate through the carpet. It also leaked through the gap by the 3rd row seats. Got home pulled the carpet and treated everything with baking soda. I think I got it all; and all this to find the 27 is too tall
View attachment 1510357

That would put me in such a foul mood..... that sucks....

After yesterday's adventure, today went much better. Got everything hooked up and working, simple blue sea 7610, 1/0 gauge wire, got a solid frame and chassis ground. Love techflex, wish it would have been around 10 years ago
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG

Ok, let's all pretend that I am a dummy....ok I am a. Dummy. I have hooked up relays before and every time I confuse the crap out of myself. Basically I wired up 2 LED off-road lights, wired theor grounds and power wires together. Grounded them with other grounds under the hood. Running all this to a 3 prong rocker switch. So I ran the LED wires directly to the switch and then ran a wire to my Blue Sea fuse box. Every time I flip the switch it is blowing the fuse (tried 10, 20, 30)...blows them immediately. So I thought I would put a relay in the mix...which is a good idea anyway. I have watched videos etc and can't find exactly what to do. I have the 5 pin relays. I am hoping that maybe using a relay will eliminate the blown fuses.

Ideas?

basicrelay.jpg

Using a relay likely won't be what stops blowing fuses. Study Stan's picture above. Does your switch have a light inside of it? Plenty of info out there with some nice idiot-proof diagrams. Good luck. Wait...you're a musician, right? Singer? Sorry, pay someone. :grinpimp:

Using a relay likely won't be what stops blowing fuses. Study Stan's picture above. Does your switch have a light inside of it? Plenty of info out there with some nice idiot-proof diagrams. Good luck. Wait...you're a musician, right? Singer? Sorry, pay someone. :grinpimp:

Retire musician....bass player (and singer). ;)

The switch does have a light....I also used a smaller switch and same result. Retraced the wiring but everything looks good. Hmm....

Retire musician....bass player (and singer). ;)
Ahhh, okay. You're probably just missing 2 wires somewhere.

(Inside joke - don't give me that 5-string crap or I'll reply with a 7-string reference that puts us back to where we were!)

List each terminal and where you have it going - both the switch and the relay. Even better, draw a diagram and post a pic of it.

Will do.

I do play a 5 string bass by the way....Modulus Q5.

Your description leads me to think you have a dead short somewhere, that is what led me to quoting you above. It's not hard to mis-wire a relay.

Your description leads me to think you have a dead short somewhere, that is what led me to quoting you above. It's not hard to mis-wire a relay.

I will re-trace my wiring but I haven't even wired the relay up yet. Blowing fuses with just straight wiring to a switch.

If it is popping fuses as soon as you hook it up you have a dead short somewhere.

Thanks. I will check that out and secure any connects I have.

Love reflectix. Did the 40, the 80, and the roof of the trailer. Got another roll on order :).

Did some wrenching today. First, test fitted a kayak rack. Got the top part upside down in this pic.
IMG_6998.JPG

Then I test fitted the metal boxes and the goodwill special fridge. PERFECT fit.

Then I actually turned a wrench and made a little stealth mount on the 40 for the the high lift.

Sprayed the bolts black after the pic. Easier to see what I did there:
IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_20170805_163355.jpg

Got my radiator mounts worked out! Need to sort the upper intercooler mount and get this core support prepped for paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom