Builds Tucker and Roma's 75 FJ40 Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Jumped off the cliff and bought my first FJ40 and started frame off restore (only possible with guidance and skill of Roma) this past weekend. Plans are evolving as we disassemble. So far this week, we (and take that to me I watch and hand Roma tools and hold the light) have striped all the body parts off and body/tub are at sandblaster today. We have been working 5 days! Will add pics when I figure out how.
DSC_0001.jpg

Awesome! Sad to see the custom artwork go. Are you staying with the same color?

I remember seeing this 40 up for sale back in the fall if I remember correctly...from somewhere out west, used at some camping site or something, correct? Can't wait to see the progress.

Roma's the man, if he were closer, I'd pay him to help me.

Yes art work was cool. Needed to be repainted and some rust taken care of. I am currently planning to go with mustard yellow again.

It is my understanding it has always resided in the north Alabama area.

Tucker thread needs an update. I'll let you put the in between photos in.

frame is going to the blaster this week. Tub is getting a NOS toyota driver rear quarter and some minor rust repairs in the floor as soon as a competent body shop guy is nailed down. Front axle housing was rebuilt with fj40 disc brake knuckles, reman toyota calipers, toyota pads, rotors, pins, springs and hoses. finished out with a marlin rebuild kit with the eco inner axle seals and koyo bearings.

IMAG0623.jpg

IMAG0622-1.jpg

IMAG0630-1.jpg

Last edited:
Took a week off to go fishing in florida with brothers. We had fun and caught a few speckled trout.

Roma and I have been busy since I returned. We have stripped off all lights, knobs, roof, body parts to get down to see what the "trouble" areas looked like. The roof had a leaky sun roof in it that will be subject of another post when we get to that point in build.

I took the main body into a sandblaster (see attached picture from Roma ). There was some rust spots in driver floor pan and left rear quarter seal that will take some body work. Overall work is progressing very good at this point.
DSC_0190.jpg
DSC_0188.jpg

Got a pallet from man-a-fre as well. 2.5" OME deluxe kit and a aisin clutch kit including New hydraulics and line. Engine will get a new rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front crank seal, water pump, t-stat and gasket, and will go ahead and do a cylinder head job as a preventative measure. Head will be decked, magnafluxed and new valve seals and valve job.

IMAG0637-1.jpg

IMAG0636-1.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg

IMAG0640-1.jpg

IMAG0639.jpg

IMAG0641-1.jpg

roma042987 said:
New quarter came in today. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it comes with the whole top channel. Taking that into consideration 250 shipped was a steal!

Where did you guys source this?! Looking good, you blokes don't waste time.

I found the quarter panel here in the classifieds i could not believe it had not sold sooner it had been bumped to the top for months! The pictures from the seller didnt show that it was complete with the top rail so i was pleasantly surprised when i opened the box. Yep moving in a hurry I cant touch mine until this one is done. Mine is patiently awaiting a turbocharger and front and rear axle rebuilds before my next roadtrip in july/august.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom