Tub stripped and want to prevent future rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
201409084.JPG
201409083.JPG
201409085.JPG

I want to get my tub lined and have researched all the big names in commercial bedlining. All said they scuff the surface and then spray in the bedliner for $800-$1200, AFTER I have removed all of the interior. Didn't sound like a good idea to me because I was worried about trapping the surface rust. So in order to be able to sleep at night, I have stripped the tub down to the bare metal and have found absolutely zero/nil/nada rust after using aircraft remover and angle grinding with a paint stripper pad. Side wall stripping will be this week. I bought POR Metal Prep and POR15, and have ordered some samples from Monstaliner. Looking for suggestions to get it ready for the Monstaliner. Do I POR Metal Prep, wait for it to completely dry, then POR15 and wait until tacky and then put on the first coat of Monstaliner? I have never done this and don't want to make any mistakes.

Any suggestions and/or comments are greatly appreciated.

Wow that must have taken a lot of aircraft remover, nice job.

My suggestion: take/send the POR stuff back, go with Chassis Saver. Made by the same folks that make Monstaliner. I just used the stuff on my sandblasted bumpers, really nice. Very hard coating. They will be getting Monstaliner as well. I found it at NAPA.

That clean metal deserves a good 2k epoxy paint, such as SPI 2k Epoxy. If starting from bare metal I wouldn't use anything but epoxy but that's just me.

That clean metal deserves a good 2k epoxy paint, such as SPI 2k Epoxy. If starting from bare metal I wouldn't use anything but epoxy but that's just me.

This is the correct answer. Nothing beats an epoxy primer for adhesion and corrosion resistance.

WOW, That tub looks great! Almost a shame to cover it with a liner.

If you haven't already contact @magnetman for information. I am assuming that you probably want the POR15 to completely setup before you put down the ML. Give their phone number a call as that will probably be the best way to get a hold of ML.

I went with ML WWII olive drab over their chassis saver. My son thought the olive would complement the desert tan exterior. It turned out better than expected. After that, I ordered ML white for the top. Did bumpy texture on interior and used a smooth nap roller on exterior top. It looks brand new. I couldn't be happier. Also ordered and installed corbeau baja XRS seats with heat. Next is to install flexible LED on interior in top along the edges.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also found a place that would blast and powder coat the wheels for $25! It was their "semi truck grey". It was exactly as I was looking for. Put some mickey Thompson baja mtz tires 31x10.5x15 and mounted a couple of ammo cans to hold the kids skis in the winter. I'm sure the neighbors hate me with the truck up on jack stands with logs underneath as backup.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did you spray any primer down first? Any paint under the Monstaliner?

Did you spray any primer down first? Any paint under the Monstaliner?
I put down the chassis saver gloss. Then scuffed it up with supplied pad. Then monstaliner. Monstaliner said to not use the antique satin black because the liner might not stick to it. Amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom