TTT -- The Tool Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to look at it. I haven't read a bad review.

@NCFJ asked recently about CAD recommendations and my response was "I've used every one (the commercial engineering ones anyway) and they all suck".

When the greater engineering community started to embrace CADD, about 35 years ago, it was met with great resistance, simply because it just wasn't faster than drawing on the board. To be clear about this, I started drawing, and paying my way doing it, in 1978. I started with CADD, using both Autocad V10 and HewlettPackard ME10 at the same time, in 1989. I taught the drafting course (lecture and lab) during my (2nd) engineering degree, at UNCC. I've been employed as a consulting designer/engineer in one capacity or other for going on 40 years.

I can still draw anything faster by hand than I can using any drawing/design software. The first time. Where the software is faster than anyone's hand is when you have to make changes, or copy something. No one can match the computer's speed then. But, you have to decide how much your time is worth. When I was drawing professionally, both as a design draftsman and engineer, the drawing was secondary to the job; getting the information out in a hurry was the goal. That's not something anyone not working in an engineering office needs to be concerned about. Even someone running a business who occasionally needs a drawing. IMHO.

I have no experience with the hobby versions, just because always had the heavy duty ones at hand.

Along with the far too complicated cascading menus (ala ProE) and forever expanding recurring dues (ala AutoDesk) for the privilege of using someone's software is the almost complete lack of compatibility across platforms (less of a concern for home users, but still a problem in my mind).

My suggestion was to grab a copy of Vellum (Google: Burt Rutan) and go to work. Since it's no longer current (the current version is cheekily called Graphite), it's cheap and it's the easiest and most natural program I've ever seen. However, Vellum's hard to find (I looked, since I snagged my copy about 20 years ago) and couldn't find one floating around. I did find this, though:
View attachment 3492938

Comes highly recommended by our friends across the pond, where there's a large model making community, for which there are no drawings, so if you're building something, you have to design it yourself. As a bonus, they have a full license option. That alone makes it interesting for me.

IMO, there's nothing in the DesignPro that's worth $500 over the Atom3D. And no one who's not being paid to draw "needs" to spend $1000+ on drafting software...and if you are being paid to draw, you need software that's likely to cost way more than $1000.

FWIW

I've tried a bunch of different ones. Had access to autodesk stuff through uni for a while.
Recently started tinkering with FreeCad. It is free.
It seems really functional, much more functional than other free CAD stuff that has functionality behind a pay wall.
it does not require massive memory to run bloated software, or have insane lag rendering everytime you change a view.

I'm using it on a 10 + year old laptop without a heap of memory. Fusion 360 basically bricked the same laptop.
Fusion360 i found overly complex for someone with novice/ pleb level mastery of CAD. I used Revitt at uni, but hadn't used anything for a few years since, starting again with Fusion 360 was tough. The learning curve is STEEEEP from the get go.
There's some really great proffesional quality tutorials for FreeCad on YouTube

I agree on drawing by hand being quicker to get ideas onto paper initially.

The thing with CAD is you can save infinite iterations if you need to change things or develop a design. Then it quickly becomes worth investing the time.
There's times I've done 3d models for specific elements of construction projects. I don't use it enough to have it mastered by any stretch of the imagination.

I use Blubeam PDF editing software a lot at work. I pay a subscription from my own pocket because it makes my life easier.
It let's you do simple drawings on PDFs. You CAD set a scale. Measure, take off quantities etc
It has layering functionality, and i can save different iterations, grid lines, dimensions, overlays etc in different layers and turn them on/off.
If I'm sketching something i want to share with a contractor or client, it's clear, concise, to scale etc, and can be altered or developed as needed. I can do this much quicker than i can produce a detsiled neat, clear, to scale hand sketch a lot of the time. If i sketch by hand, I'll screw up the page and start over a few times before i produce something useful.

It's a lot less of a learning curve than CAD, but not as functional, and not really for modelling, but great for simple sketches and mark up of drawings or photos.
Definitely not a replacement for CAD, but super useful

Fusion definitely does have a learning curve, but if you plan to do more than just conceptual modeling, it's hard to beat.

For free and simple, download sketchup 2015. Free, dead simple, and lets you conceptualize your napkin drawings:

Fusion definitely does have a learning curve, but if you plan to do more than just conceptual modeling, it's hard to beat.

For free and simple, download sketchup 2015. Free, dead simple, and lets you conceptualize your napkin drawings:

Sketchup is terrible to use IMO, and without paying it is sorely lacking functionality

Sketchup is terrible to use IMO, and without paying it is sorely lacking functionality

So which is it, a fully fleshed out CAD/CAM suite is too much, but a basic 3D modeler "sorely lacking functionality" :lol:

Many people, including my past self, use sketchup for fleshing out ideas and making basic plans like cut lists. Someone like you who was trained to use proper CAD software is going to think it's lacking sure, but it works really well for new-to-CAD people who just want to play with their ideas in 3D space.

So which is it, a fully fleshed out CAD/CAM suite is too much, but a basic 3D modeler "sorely lacking functionality" :lol:

Many people, including my past self, use sketchup for fleshing out ideas and making basic plans like cut lists. Someone like you who was trained to use proper CAD software is going to think it's lacking sure, but it works really well for new-to-CAD people who just want to play with their ideas in 3D space.

Im trained to about "hamfisted monkey" level.
Wouldn't describe myself as proficient at all.

I think sketchup and fusion 360 are polar opposite ends of a spectrum. Something about the UI with sketchup just didn't gel for me. YMMV, I didn't persist with it for long. I used sketchup to model an elevator retrofit into a hotel location had to be coordinated to fit within a lot of constraints across 3 levels. It worked great. Just found it less intuitive to use than freecad (if you can call my use of it intuitive)

FreeCad somewhere in the middle and truly free. It's a lean shareware platform with some surprisingly good support available via YouTube and community forums

Anyway, just another option worth looking at that not a lot of people are aware of

I haven't used FreeCad, but I have heard good things. If autodesk forces me out of fusion for some reason, I'll give it a whirl. There are a ton of CAD programs out there now, it can be hard to sort through all of the options!

I've not done a whole lot in regard to picking a program.

I do have a high end architectural program called Chief Architect that I used for years when I worked as an Architect. The learning curve on that was about six months drawing houses every night after work and on weekends. Great program for house design, the basic CAD section is not enough, plus I am not willing to buy a new version that works with my new computer.

That was always my problem with the previous Autodesk products. The original AutoCAD was designed to be used by architects. There were very simple programming additions/changes that could have been made for mechanical users, but the corporate geniuses who took over after Walker left (was shown the door) failed to understand why they should improve a product that was already selling. That's why Solidworks ate their lunch. After Inventor, I gave up on them. They kept claiming their products were redesigned from the ground up for mechanical users, but I'd seen it since it was really an architectural product and I could tell they were lying. And their stuff has always been a resource hog; their programmers don't care about the system it runs on.

That, and I got really spoiled using ComputerVision on a Unix Sparc station. That was a great program. Of course, it didn't survive PTC being bought either. HP's ME10 was a close second. But those, and everything else I've used, were aimed at large design offices.

The only program I've ever bought for my personal use was Vellum (same price as Atom3D above). That was a great program for any user. Truly zero learning curve; you draw just like you would with a pencil.

Last edited:
I've been doing CAD for a bit. In 1990, the company I worked for paid huge money for a state-of-the-art workstation with a 54" digitizing pad, puck, two 27" monitors and a giant 1G hard drive. Mind you that in 1990 the 1G hard drive was the size of a small refrigerator! Nobody in the company knew how to use it and nobody cared to learn. The company did manual drafting up until that time and there were some really good drafters back then...real pros. The company hired me fresh out of college and sent me to Huntsville, AL to the Intergraph Corporation to learn how to use it. I have used a Bentley CAD product called Microstation as part of my daily job functions since that time. Over the years, Microstation has changed a lot, but I still use it. It is pretty much the standard CAD program for large scale government BIM projects and DoD applications. It is overly complicated and expensive. The company pays the license. I don't recommend it to anyone. Revit seems like a more intuitive and easier-to-learn program, but I hear it is pricey as well. I have not looked into other programs for my personal use, mainly because the last thing I want to do after an 8-hour day behind a screen is to come home and do more CAD.

I've been doing CAD for a bit. In 1990, the company I worked for paid huge money for a state-of-the-art workstation with a 54" digitizing pad, puck, two 27" monitors and a giant 1G hard drive. Mind you that in 1990 the 1G hard drive was the size of a small refrigerator! Nobody in the company knew how to use it and nobody cared to learn. The company did manual drafting up until that time and there were some really good drafters back then...real pros. The company hired me fresh out of college and sent me to Huntsville, AL to the Intergraph Corporation to learn how to use it. I have used a Bentley CAD product called Microstation as part of my daily job functions since that time. Over the years, Microstation has changed a lot, but I still use it. It is pretty much the standard CAD program for large scale government BIM projects and DoD applications. It is overly complicated and expensive. The company pays the license. I don't recommend it to anyone. Revit seems like a more intuitive and easier-to-learn program, but I hear it is pricey as well. I have not looked into other programs for my personal use, mainly because the last thing I want to do after an 8-hour day behind a screen is to come home and do more CAD.

Interesting how different experience can be realized doing such similar work.
CATIA is the DoD/Aerospace standard from my recent experience (past 30 yrs or so). Used other standard products such as CADAM and ComputerVision years ago too. ACAD (the inhouse CAD system at GD) and Unigraphix (in house at McAir) were very good too, until the raw numbers with CATIA resulted in them being set aside. It was my understanding that CATIA V5 and AutoCAD were very similar products. My basis is the feedback I have gotten from the new college grads that I have have hired in recent years. They have said that AutoCAD is a free product to college students. They receive training in CATIA V5 and pick it right up ... reporting back that CATIA V5 and AutoCAD are nearly duplicates of one another. Wasn't that way when I was in school. CAD and numerical analysis (CFD / finite element analysis) were what the student programmed.

This is exactly why I don't have a CAD program on my computer, and haven't had one in 35 years.

I headed in this direction.
IMG_7440.jpeg
Probably going to get a set of Craftsman screwdrivers. We can build from this
IMG_7441.jpeg

I worked with a professional mechanic last weekend to swap the struts/shocks on my Tacoma and he had the Milwaukee impact tools in every size. It was impressive how much faster it was... it was evident I needed a 1/2" impact. I already had some DeWalt 20v drills so I decided to stay instead of jump to the Milwaukee.
I did some research and the new DCF961 is awesome with 1400ft/lb tightening and 1750 loosening but I could get the DCF900 with 2 batteries and charger with 1030/lb tightening and 1400 loosening cheaper. It was a no-brainer for me. I'm not working on anything that big

Tried it out on a few lug nuts and WOW!! I should have done this sooner...

I picked up this Amazon light that connects to the batteries for $15. I'm excited to have some vehicle projects coming soon. Next up is the Badlands offroad jack...
20240226_171718.jpg
20240226_171904.jpg

I started migrating to milwaukee m18 fuel products about 7 years ago. The sawzall with a diablo pruning blade saved my neighbors windows when fallen tree limbs were pressed against them after hurricane michael. Made precision work out of a delicate situation.

Ive got a couple 1/4" impacts, keyless chuck drill, sawzall, 1/2" impact, oscillating tool, palm sander, small shop vac, light, and some other stuff. Worth their weight in lithium ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom