TTT -- The Tool Thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IR guy here. All of my good pneumatic tools are IR. Few drops of oil each day and it'll run for damn near forever.

IMHO, most people are unhappy with their air tools because they have undersized air compressors. Watch this video and learn about the differences between SCFM (how consumer grade air compressors are rated) and CFM (how all air tools are rated). I have a 5hp 100% duty cycle air compressor and it can not keep up with most of my air tools.

Thanks for sending the video along as well as the rec. 2 votes from guys that seem to know their tools works for me. If nothing else the video was hilarious. I'm probably undersized a bit as well but the 21 gallon tank that will put out 175 PSI and 4 stated SCFM at 90 PSI has worked just fine for most of my needs thus far and cycling time has been acceptable (light years ahead of my Dewalt Pancake compressor). Given power output thus far with a cutoff wheel, die grinder etc I would think that for quick breaking of bolts it should get the job done over my cordless version. A big issue that I've seen in IR reviews also seems to be folks buying them from dealers they can't get in contact with for service/etc, so that's easily mitigated...

Thanks for sending the video along as well as the rec. 2 votes from guys that seem to know their tools works for me. If nothing else the video was hilarious. I'm probably undersized a bit as well but the 21 gallon tank that will put out 175 PSI and 4 stated SCFM at 90 PSI has worked just fine for most of my needs thus far and cycling time has been acceptable (light years ahead of my Dewalt Pancake compressor). Given power output thus far with a cutoff wheel, die grinder etc I would think that for quick breaking of bolts it should get the job done over my cordless version. A big issue that I've seen in IR reviews also seems to be folks buying them from dealers they can't get in contact with for service/etc, so that's easily mitigated...

Before I had my 60 gallon compressor I relied on an 18 gallon Dewalt oil-less upright. I had no issues using it and the IR impact...but forget about die grinders, cut-offs, etc. My 60 gallon Quincy even cycles on and off when using a die grinder.

I love gearwrench tools and especially their 1/2" long handle ratchet with 120 points of engagement. I have two of them.

IR guy here. All of my good pneumatic tools are IR. Few drops of oil each day and it'll run for damn near forever.

IMHO, most people are unhappy with their air tools because they have undersized air compressors. Watch this video and learn about the differences between SCFM (how consumer grade air compressors are rated) and CFM (how all air tools are rated). I have a 5hp 100% duty cycle air compressor and it can not keep up with most of my air tools.

Love that guy!

And thanks for the video, makes a lot of sense.

Decided to give them all a bath.
5A3D4003-B531-4229-B777-67B3C82F3896.jpeg

Can you have to many of any tool?

Kinda.... when you can’t find them when they are buried under the other tools, or maybe I am just getting old... I’m sure I have more tools than think I do. Materials too.

Kinda.... when you can’t find them when they are buried under the other tools, or maybe I am just getting old... I’m sure I have more tools than think I do. Materials too.

It was just odd to see how many were in the draw. The ones I use are scattered out through the three floors of my house I am working on. And never where I need them.

I picked this up for $337 earlier
Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator - 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts
Amazon product ASIN B00NHACROW

Thats a good price for that geniverter.

I've had one for a couple years. Used it more after storms and hurricanes than I have with my camper.

The first one went back to Amazon with shipp9mg damage. 2nd once has been fine. Quiet considering the cost, but it does have a lil too much exhaust smell.

After Michael, I ran ours 4 days straight. Used it to run both fridges, and the entertainment center. Would go thru a tank in about 9 hours. Smart sense switch will run it at low rpms and adjust for load.

It was just odd to see how many were in the draw. The ones I use are scattered out through the three floors of my house I am working on. And never where I need them.

I'm always amazed at how many Philips heads I have.....when I'm looking for a flathead, and how many flatheads I have.....when I'm looking for a Philips head.

Just picked this little guy up this afternoon. It's nice to finally have a larger vise than I've been using. It's no 6" vise, but it's still awesome.

Starrett_4%22Vise_SM.jpg
Starrett_4%22Vise_2_SM.jpg

nice...I have a few starrett tools, hadn't seen a vise before
Their vises are well built. They are also pretty heavy for their size, which surprised me.

@S4Cruiser or @GLTHFJ60 could probably chime in on the history of Starrett vises, but I believe they are made by the Athol Machine Co. Starrett bought the company back in the early 1900s shortly after settling a patent dispute. Laroy Starrett actually helped found the Athol Machine Co. After the purchase of the company, Starrett continued to make vises at the Athol foundry under the Athol name. Later they rebranded the vises as Starrett vises. All Starrett vises are considered Athol vises and vice versa. Even if they are labeled as an Athol vise.

The drill doctor 750X. Worth its weight in ... well, damn nice to have. Especially if you have a random drawer full of old bits. Does 118* and 135*, plus any custom angle you may want.

20190914_174508.jpg

Their vises are well built. They are also pretty heavy for their size, which surprised me.

@S4Cruiser or @GLTHFJ60 could probably chime in on the history of Starrett vises, but I believe they are made by the Athol Machine Co. Starrett bought the company back in the early 1900s shortly after settling a patent dispute. Laroy Starrett actually helped found the Athol Machine Co. After the purchase of the company, Starrett continued to make vises at the Athol foundry under the Athol name. Later they rebranded the vises as Starrett vises. All Starrett vises are considered Athol vises and vice versa. Even if they are labeled as an Athol vise.

Pretty much yes. If the Athol vise was manufactured before 1920 then it isn’t a Starrett per se...but...Leroy Starrett actually co-founded Athol Machine in the mid 1800s. He left the company among some patent disputes, subsequently suing them and winning...gaining enough winnings to then buy them!

They make some great and huge vises!!

0B55BE09-DB53-42F9-A506-A6A5DECD2E13.jpeg

The drill doctor 750X. Worth its weight in ... well, damn nice to have. Especially if you have a random drawer full of old bits. Does 118* and 135*, plus any custom angle you may want.

View attachment 2083183

I’ve always wondered if they were worth the costs. Might pick one up now!!

View attachment 2083183

Is that better than knowing how to sharpen a drill bit at a bench grinder? Being able to touch up a drill bit in a few seconds at a bench grinder is pretty nice.

Is that better than knowing how to sharpen a drill bit at a bench grinder? Being able to touch up a drill bit in a few seconds at a bench grinder is pretty nice.

Good question. I never use the bench grinder for bits because my stone is too coarse (60 grit). With a 180+ grit wheel it would be worth comparing the results. I do have a second grinder not in use, just no place to put the thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom