TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The optrel I mentioned is battery powered, but auto darkening. It has internal and external replaceable lenses, meaning when they get scratched and burnt, you just swap out a $2 cover instead of the whole mask. Really is neat.

I've burned through ~50# of mig wire and done probably 15 hours of TIG welding on my weldcap. Don't remember if I've even changed the battery.

Cyberweld has it on sale for $99. Buy the helmet and a pack of replaceable lenses. Don't think twice about it.

Ordered. Thank you sir dickhead. Said with respect and honor.

Delivered fast. Now to wait for the rain to stop. I don’t like welding in puddles. My lovely bride modeled the cap, much better than how I look with it on.

14474BD5-6985-4141-B950-CF35DC7507ED.jpeg

Hated the welder (edit) until I realized I’m a big dummy. Flux core is great unless you are wired for solid and gas. 1/4 steel with a double pass and I’m happy (with the helmet)

6EF6E575-A105-4E16-89DF-0093999CCEF7.jpeg

7DC2C1C3-9989-428B-9616-55291C48327D.jpeg

Last edited:
Figuring out the settings.

08AC0188-BE49-423F-9E62-501DACA99004.jpeg

The Optrel cap is casual. No mullet haircut needed.

I do. Your description was spot on. I wear a baseball cap under it when welding looking down and it stays in place better. Great field of vision and the extra lenses ordered are peace of mind. Thanks again.

Hmm... I need a new welding helmet.

I purchased an autodarkening helmet off Amazon years ago. Great reviews with a XL view. It worked ok the first dozen times I used it but then I noticed the autodarkening was failing to activate. As a backup, I purchased a fixed shade helmet and continued to use that for all my welding needs. I tried to fix the autodarkening helmet several times and it worked about 50% of the time. In the end I couldn't trust to and threw it in the trash. The fixed shade works but it's definitely not ideal.

Ya'll realize that the auto darkening, solar type helmets have a battery that goes bad right?

Personally, I use Miller helmets with fine results. A welding shield is no place to skimp, it's only your eye sight. :)

Aren't there auto darkening helmets that don't have batteries? I thought there were strictly solar ones.

You're not wrong though. Cheap auto darkening helmets react slower than expensive ones a lot of the time, which can cause eye damage over time. I've heard some of the really bad ones will give you arc flash symptoms you use them enough.

I've not had those issues with my optrel weld cap. I would like to get a nice Miller or optrel rigid helmet for bench work though.

image.jpg

Big fan of the miller helmets now, this put my Jackson safety helmet to shame great helmet but I was able to tell a pretty big difference.

I have two auto-darkening helmets; a Miller ‘pro hobby’ and a newer Lincoln. The miller is 15 years old and the batteries are original. The Lincoln is ~2 years old that I’ve used maybe 5 times and the batteries have already needed to be replaced. The Lincoln is way way nicer (view and comfort) and has a lower amp darkening feature needed for tig welding.

Miller version -

Lincoln one -

I have a miller NIB, I won it at rubithon last year. seems l should be welding soon

I looked hard at the Millers but wound up with the Lincoln 3350. Maybe it's partially marketing but with the 4C lens it was the clearest one while welding I could find at the time.

It's been great so far. No battery changes or hesitation to darken. Very happy with it over my old Hobart which actually held up pretty well.

Not to distract from the Welding Helmet Discussion. I have the Miller Pro Digital only b/c it came in a package when I bought my Millermatic last year, and it's worked great, but I'm a welding noob.

Searched this Thread and couldn't find any posts on this topic, but Air Impact Wrenches, what are folks pleased with? I'm not looking to break the bank entirely, but I've been less than impressed by some of the airtools I've bought from HF (cut off tool died in the first month). Reviews on the IR line seem to be all over the place from waste of money to "I drop it 25 times a day and it works great". It's not going to be used like a full time shop, but getting ready to help my friend redo the suspension on his mid 80s K5 blazer and would like a little more oomph then my Milwaukee Cordless impact wrench and then for projects on my 40 thereafter.

Searched this Thread and couldn't find any posts on this topic, but Air Impact Wrenches, what are folks pleased with? I'm not looking to break the bank entirely, but I've been less than impressed by some of the airtools I've bought from HF (cut off tool died in the first month). Reviews on the IR line seem to be all over the place from waste of money to "I drop it 25 times a day and it works great". It's not going to be used like a full time shop, but getting ready to help my friend redo the suspension on his mid 80s K5 blazer and would like a little more oomph then my Milwaukee Cordless impact wrench and then for projects on my 40 thereafter.

IR guy here. All of my good pneumatic tools are IR. Few drops of oil each day and it'll run for damn near forever.

IMHO, most people are unhappy with their air tools because they have undersized air compressors. Watch this video and learn about the differences between SCFM (how consumer grade air compressors are rated) and CFM (how all air tools are rated). I have a 5hp 100% duty cycle air compressor and it can not keep up with most of my air tools.

I've had this impact for probably 15 years and it's been great.

Amazon product ASIN B0002SRM3I
I have heard good things about the HF Earthquake impacts, but I've never used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom