TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

upcoming auction

upcoming auction
Some decent machines for an engine shop in here. Some of the valve guide and head surfacing machines don't go up for sale that often.

Haven’t been doing much lately...been crazy busy at work and super tired...then found out my thyroid is ****ed...Dr tells me this is why I’m exhausted 24/7.

Enough self loathing...mustered up some wrenching today. Ever since building this vise stand I’ve wanted some type of shelf and grinder/tool holder. This what I ended up with.

C2E79DF1-BBD7-47AA-9F5D-BA511356E1D2.jpeg
BD5006E9-DEBD-405F-AF0C-578755A4081B.jpeg
9932D05E-D7BB-45AA-868F-3DEFF78CA2E3.jpeg

that art work there. prettyy awesome!!

Here’s another vise/stand I cobbled together yesterday evening / this morning. It’s a beast...now I need to figure out what I’ll do with it / where to put it.

1/2” plate plasma freehand :cool:

DC2EE2FC-BC76-4B11-9376-3C0C67D42689.jpeg

After experiencing the weight of this thing I might go back and add another pass to my welds. I did preheat both the plate, I beam and wheel before passes.

D5C0CC66-C561-4470-A400-18C2C7D8FF2A.jpeg

EECD4C2B-A753-4529-9D65-1FC5FD42502A.jpeg

80C42D91-22FC-4E48-93B1-1B8F61BF84FD.jpeg

nice. I like the rubber toe stop. add these ideas to the project list.

@S4Cruiser - I just want to know how you made those beautiful, perfect cuts on, what, 3/8" plate??? You get a CNC laser you didn't tell us about? Dope.

@S4Cruiser - I just want to know how you made those beautiful, perfect cuts on, what, 3/8" plate??? You get a CNC laser you didn't tell us about? Dope.
He states 1/2" and freehand plasma above I think. :)

He states 1/2" and freehand plasma above I think. :)

LOL, I'm like a kid, I only look at the pictures. Oh, ad I don't believe him either :p

LOL, I'm like a kid, I only look at the pictures. Oh, ad I don't believe him either :p

No BS here...freehand all the way! ...and there is no way I could keep something like a laser/cnc cutting anything a secret :hillbilly:

Question and preference. I just upgraded to a Hobart Handler 140 for jobs up to 1/4 inch (apparent limits of welder) with Argon mix gas. I had a Chicago Electric buzz flux core box and the accessories. The Harbor Freight helmet seemed to work ok with the old box; however, I went snow blind and had a sandy scratch in my eyes for a couple days after using the Hobart with the same helmet. 8-13 instant darkness for the current helmet and I thought I had it on 13. Is there an economical helmet that will protect my peepers better? No preference on instant dark or permanent with a flip of my head. Flip flops and tank top are standard PPE (kidding).

Thanks.

What's economical?

I'm a big fan of my optrel weldcap. About $140.

Johnny, economical is me being able to see after I make sliders and armor protection. I will search the interwebs for said Optrel. Thank you.

Travis.

Amazon is more expensive it seems:

Amazon product ASIN B01KA8PLPK
Downside is that it tends to fall off my head when looking straight down, and will fall on your nose when looking straight up. Not sure if that's because the cap is too small for my head, or if it's because of the helmet, but that's the only real downside. It's much smaller than full helmets, which is great when working inside/around/underneath trucks IMHO.

They have a hard hat version too. Give me a reason to wear mine again. It has been years sitting on the shelf. My giant head will have no trouble holding everything in place. Ha!! Amazon Prime adds the shipping cost into the product and then advertises free shipping. I search from multiple computers and get multiple quotes. Technology ain't all its cracked up to be.

Question and preference. I just upgraded to a Hobart Handler 140 for jobs up to 1/4 inch (apparent limits of welder) with Argon mix gas. I had a Chicago Electric buzz flux core box and the accessories. The Harbor Freight helmet seemed to work ok with the old box; however, I went snow blind and had a sandy scratch in my eyes for a couple days after using the Hobart with the same helmet. 8-13 instant darkness for the current helmet and I thought I had it on 13. Is there an economical helmet that will protect my peepers better? No preference on instant dark or permanent with a flip of my head. Flip flops and tank top are standard PPE (kidding).

Thanks.

I’ve got an extra Jackson safety mask if your interested worked for me for a long time I got the optrel Johnny mentioned and it’s really comfortable. Just upgraded to a miller T94 and am very happy with that too.

Thanks.
I use a HF helmet with my Hobart 140 mig all the time. No issues here. I don't think mine is even turned up to the darkest setting either. Maybe try another HF helmet and if it's not better, take it back. Mine is not the cheapest HF hat and not the most expensive one. Somewhere in the middle. I think it was less than $50.

Dave, mine too. Middle of the road. Does the solar function wear out? If so, mine is roached. The right eye confirms limited protection.

Dave, mine too. Middle of the road. Does the solar function wear out? If so, mine is roached. The right eye confirms limited protection.
This is the first one that I've had that was solar powered. I have had a battery powered one before and it worked well until the lens got so scratched and burned that I just threw it away. I wish HF still offered the battery ones, but they don't. The solar one I have is less than a year old and it works fine. At the $50 price point, I expected the solar function to crap out quickly. I actually bought two and kept the other one in the box as a spare for when that happens. I have not had to use it yet and I've done a ton of welding in the last 8 months. How old is yours?

The mask is a few years old. There is about 20 hours total on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom