Builds TrophyFJ Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back out in the dirt?
not quite.......

13918476_10210546953458434_160274982_o_zpsbz5hbafg.jpg

The family tow rig pulling its first load.... Putting the TwinTurbo Diesel to the test, on my way to the shop that will continue the project and get it done .... time to re-boot and start over. Fresh ideas in my head....

13902080_10210546953018423_407359667_o_zpsyjgqzwcb.jpg

17mpg towing this thing is not bad.... Especially considering my FJ gets 14.5mpg empty with a tailwind. Lots of funny looks on the fwy though....

13932289_10210546953658439_1727237874_o_zpsaljojafb.jpg

It was a sckety tow with the weight so up high....but I took it slow and got to vegas just fine.

13901804_10210546952578412_1488175208_o_zpsmddabrbb.jpg

Unloading the beast at its new home for now, the forklift didn't work.... the next hour was sketchy at best. We had to get very creative to get her off the trailer safely. Now in the talented expert hands of Jordan Kundert a.k.a @dertcoafter a long talk I think we have a solid plan and I'm confident he is going take the FJ all the way to the finish line. Here's to new an awesome fresh start!

IMG_0036_zpsndp7j2vw.jpg

Jordan is an awesome guy and was a PRO desert moto racer and suspension guru and fabricator to many race teams in Vegas. He had a terrible accident awhile back and now is "retired" from moto racing. While he finds himself in a wheelchair now he is well known and loved in the racing community. He has adapted his amazing skillset to use a handcontroller for his tig torch and is back at it full steam working on fabrication for many race teams and still working as a suspension guru for trophy truck teams and racers like Strobel motorsports and BJ Baldwin. While he is busy consulting for those guys he will find time to work on my project and develop it into something even better than before.

Needless to say I am in expert hands now. We have a plan. Time to go to work.

and in other "progress" updates.....

If your familiar with this engine builder .....You know what opening this door means....

IMG_0718_zpsvep9tkfz.jpg

Mullenix builds the engines of many winning desert race trucks here in SoCal. Justin Oquendo, Nick Isenhour, Kibbetech etc...

Time to give the beast a proper heart...

Brand new GM performance LS3 6.2L of power. bye bye 4.0...
LS3 Crate Engine - Race Engine | Chevrolet

The motor will get some special #mullenixracing parts and tuning to raise the power just below 600hp. I couldn't quite call this thing #TrophyFJ and leave the stock V6 in there now could I?

Not to mention with all that travel and 37" tires the stock 240horses where just not going to cut it.

Sorry to all my Toyota peeps that would of loved to see this build pure toyota...but the heart wants what the heart wants. I have wanted a fire breathing, rumbling V8 all my life.

One more step forward.... Thanks to James and Thomas at mullenix racing for working with me on this and now it's time to get to work!

Right on Pedro. I was getting a little worried but I figured you had a plan. Looking forward to the rest the build.

Pete

Huh... I guess FJ Cruisers are a heck of a lot lighter than an FJ40?

If I do break a ujoint....

heavy duty Dana44 u-joints $33.99
Front Axle U-Joints - Dana Spicer - 4 Wheel Parts

A LT extended cv from RCV? $1000+

A modified 930 CV with extended axles for FJ? Many hundreds of $$$

Hell a stock FJ CV from the dealer is $350 ! at the auto parts store its $150

We all know they are all going to fail at some point....which one would you rather pay for??

That said....d44 have the most history of holding up to abuse with all the v8 Bronco pre-runners with big tires and heavy truck that have used and abused them for years.

So in the end for a Looong travel suspension system(18-22") there is no doubt the d44 will hold up much better than CV setup.

Most TTB Bronco pre-runners have around 20" travel. A few have 22 and one or 2 have managed 24" with +4.5" extended beams etc.....

In any case....if I want to spend the extra money RCV does make a TTB CV axle set for $2000.....it does give you lifetime warranty.....but I have a feeling based on decades of guys beating of d44 u-joints and axles the stock parts will probably work just fine most of the time.
Ultimate Ford TTB CV Axle Set for Bronco & F-150 ('80-'83) - Bolt Style

Most of the time what fails in the u-joint and not the axle. There are a few custom made with stronger steel u-joints out there. The point is if I want to go stronger there are many options. Another benefit of using TTB is decades of aftermarket knowledge and support out there in the industry.

About u-joints. RCV isn't the only expensive option - Nitro gear makes a needle-less 4340 u-joint as well. I used the Nitro u-joint (called excaliber) - and here's why. If a u-joint breaks under load, it usually takes out the stub shaft and the axle shaft hubs. I get that either of them are more expensive, but to me it's a false economy. They both require more service, and they are way more expensive - but they aren't as expensive as axle shafts.

All of that said, I can also see why you'd use the less-expensive ones for your build. Your suspension is all about high-speed, long-travel - it's where lubrication is really important and top-shelf strength isn't as important because you won't have a wheel jammed between two rocks while turning and applying full power.

Check your link, comes right back to your build thread.

Fixed thanks,

basically.....looks like NITRO gear is falsely advertising as 300M when it is actually not......kind of a big deal in my book.

Looks like Yukon is the patent holder and original maker of these hardened HD u-joints and nitro and CTM basically are copy cats....big no-no in my book.

If any rep from Nitro or CTM wants to comment and state their defense....I'm all ears.

Bushing only u joints in a go fast truck would be a horrible idea imho..

@dertco has been busy designing my new lower links. If you need some hit him up he makes them in a few lengths already, mine will be 55" long.......if your following the build and wondering where are those sweet links you saw in prior build pics, well part of the deal I made to get the truck out of the last shop is that they wanted to keep the lower links. So we made a deal and they stayed behind. It was for the best really as I'm looking forward to these taking shape under the same skilled hands that are drawing them. Looking forward to when he sparks it up and starts melting some metal.

Here is a shot from solidworks

IMG_0746_zpslxizckmo.jpg

Early Christmas present!

s*** is getting real this week over at @mullenix_racing_engines hopefully I can stop by their beautiful new shop and see them work their magic....

A fresh create full of horsepower.

IMG_0952_zpsafwtaxya.jpg

American V8 POWER......err.....oh wait.

Hecho en Mexico Cabron!!

IMG_0953_zpsn6xgqukb.jpg

Naturally this officially makes my complete stock drivetrain up for sale!!
(2010 55k miles, 4.0 double vvti, auto tranny & transfer case) is Make me an offer!!
Original owner dealer maintained and never a problem. Amazing drivetrain for someone.

My new 6.2 LS3 waiting its turn in the @mullenix_racing_engines engine room..... it's won't stay stock for long..... stay tuned....

IMG_0956_zpst4ovl98d.jpg

The funny thing is the motor cost me the same as if I bought a TRD supercharger kit. Yet it will yeild more than double the HP&tq. The kicker is might even get better gas milage than my stock 4.0.

All in all, money well spent in my book.

SC the 4.0 v6 stresses it out and for sure decreases reliabillity. Ls3 is bulletproof, plus it comes with a fresh 50k miles warranty!

That front end for the swing arms looks like it will handle the 120 mph desert flying. Not that im an expert but sure beats the stock setup on the first design.

Great feeling coming home after a tough week at work to shiny race truck parts! Let's see what's inside....

IMG_1272_zpspr71yun6.jpg

Atlas came in! Thanks to advanced adaptors for supporting the build. They have been great to work with.

Shift knobs, 4L80e adapter, cable shifter etc..

IMG_1280_zpsipp9ve0f.jpg

Yes I went with the Heavy Duty case ...

IMG_1278_zpsprgm9xbk.jpg

300M input/32spline , 2.11:1 HD gear set

IMG_1279_zps8qzudvgs.jpg

one more piece to the puzzle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom