Troopy and Apple car play radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 92 Troopy on the way and I would like to have a modern radio installed.Apple car play or similar. Does anyone know what stereo system will fit in a Troopy with little modifications. Thanks, Mike

I have a 92 Troopy on the way and I would like to have a modern radio installed.Apple car play or similar. Does anyone know what stereo system will fit in a Troopy with little modifications. Thanks, Mike

It's easy depending on what you have. If you go with a double DIN from a single DIN, you'll need a new bezel which are on ebay. LHD and RHD are the same, they just flip depending on side. Depending on what you have in the truck, you may need the mounting brackets...they work, as I recall, for either single DIN or double DIN. I just did my HZJ with a double DIN that had a single DIN and the brackets fit the double DIN just fine.

I went with a Sony AX200 on my LC79 primarily because it has a volume knob.....I hate fiddling with buttons for volume. Easier to deal with a volume knob....probably a sign I am getting old. It has Carplay and Android Auto. Nice system but the screen is tough to see in certain light...my only gripe with it.

It's easy depending on what you have. If you go with a double DIN from a single DIN, you'll need a new bezel which are on ebay. LHD and RHD are the same, they just flip depending on side. Depending on what you have in the truck, you may need the mounting brackets...they work, as I recall, for either single DIN or double DIN. I just did my HZJ with a double DIN that had a single DIN and the brackets fit the double DIN just fine.

I went with a Sony AX200 on my LC79 primarily because it has a volume knob.....I hate fiddling with buttons for volume. Easier to deal with a volume knob....probably a sign I am getting old. It has Carplay and Android Auto. Nice system but the screen is tough to see in certain light...my only gripe with it.

View attachment 1914080

Is the double DIN bezel aftermarket? The OEM bezel I have accounts for a single DIN plus a pocket... so I figured it would accomodate a double DIN unit in lieu of that.

This was my JVC setup....really nice simple unit. No Carplay or Android Auto on it but I'm sure that's available now. Again with the volume knob.....I like them.

Obviously if you go with one without the volume knob, you can have a much larger screen....probably 7". We have a customers car in here with the Sony AX5000 in it....that's a really nice unit with all the good stuff.

Is the double DIN bezel aftermarket? The OEM bezel I have accounts for a single DIN plus a pocket... so I figured it would accomodate a double DIN unit in lieu of that.

This is the OEM bezel I used: 55413-90K00

This is the OEM bezel I used: 55413-90K00

Okay, yeah, same as mine. So double-DIN works in that with no trimming then right?

I'm eyeing the JVC units with CarPlay and reverse camera. I'm a JVC loyalist... have been putting their head units in my cars since high school. And I'm gonna need the reverse camera once I start filling up the back of this truck.

Okay, yeah, same as mine. So double-DIN works in that with no trimming then right?

I'm eyeing the JVC units with CarPlay and reverse camera. I'm a JVC loyalist... have been putting their head units in my cars since high school. And I'm gonna need the reverse camera once I start filling up the back of this truck.

I miss my JVC in the 79....I feel like I downgraded with the Sony. It's a great system but I hate the screen. I could always see the JVC.
I've been a JVC loyalist too....I remember my dad bringing back a JVC 4" TV in the 80s...it was incredible. Was about the size of a phone book but nobody had ever seen anything like it. I was stuck on JVC since then.

Part of the reason I upgraded the 79 to the Sony was to have a camera since I run the canopy now. The camera is really nice....I've been spoiled with cameras being in all the new cars we deal with daily.

No trimming with that bezel. Just make sure you have the OEM radio brackets. They are very specific for the dash....but like I said, I think they are both single and double DIN compatible.

Double din brackets are bigger then single din brackets. Whatever you do, make sure you use the oem brackets, otherwise the bezel will crack.
for single din radio I went with a brand named Kienzle (Germany?), has a retro look while offering bluetooth.
normally the toyota connector needs a adaptor to use a regular radio, but one can source those adaptor harnesses on ebay.

to fill in the car sound, I ended up installing a very flat active subwoofer (kenwood I think) and the sound is decent now.

Thanks guys for all the comments, It seems as though Hi-Fi has diminished a bit from what I remember from the 80's and 90's I think I will go with either a JVC or Pioneer. I had an Alpine in my car and it was an incredible stereo.

You'll find that this will fit with room to spare and although I'm not sure about Apple Play it does have FM play as well as AM play. Part time static is provided at no extra cost.

conflicted, 1 side of me wants good tunes, airplay, etc but the otherwise wants to stick to the good old OEM stuff so people leave it alone.

@lazylfarm My wife made that comment when I told her about putting a good stereo system in the Troopy, So I will just find a rag or make a custom Kydex cover that covers the face of the radio. Anyone have any suggestions ? Mike

The radio that I installed has a removable face so that when I leave the truck and remove the face; the only thing that remains is a black surface and nothing to be seen thru the tinted windows.

You can hide one of these setups....but you won't get Carplay....just Bluetooth streaming.

This is a 1.5 DIN....would be super cool. Nobody would pay it any attention. No Carplay.

I have a 40 in the shop with one of these....pretty cool for an open top truck. Requires some fabrication work obviously and no Carplay.

Very timely - my new Troopy arrives next week. Base workmate spec, so be actively seeking a new headunit.

I've been looking at Pioneer SPHDA130

or going high end...

Alpine ILX-702D

Also got to work out on the speaker set up in the future, so making sure I have enough pre-outs.

Since you mentioned Alpine, here’s one for under $300 if you can live without CD or volume knobs. Just came out last month.

And since it’s so shallow without CD, they have an amp you can add for 200watts that piggy backs on the back of the unit.

Anyhow I am in the same situation with a truck on the water. I was looking for a double din CarPlay, always like Alpine and that’s the one I put on the list.

Since you mentioned Alpine, here’s one for under $300 if you can live without CD or volume knobs. Just came out last month.

And since it’s so shallow without CD, they have an amp you can add for 200watts that piggy backs on the back of the unit.

Anyhow I am in the same situation with a truck on the water. I was looking for a double din CarPlay, always like Alpine and that’s the one I put on the list.

That looks like a winner. The SiriusXM is a bit of a waste. Let's hope I can find one here or get one shipped to Dubai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom