Transmission/Transfer Case Whine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I definitely don't get that much whining in all gears, but at higher speeds in fourth, mine matches what the quotes above describe. My whining starts at about 27 seconds in the video below (I point at the shifter). As you can hear, the whining lets up when I let off the gas, or step on the clutch.

It's loud, but that's likely due to the fact that I have no transmission covers and a massive gash cut in the tranny hump ;)

Sounds like mine.

Lot of vibration going on there--shift knob jumping everywhere. Much louder than my 77

My H41 whine is lower in pitch. Yours doesn't seem that loud to me - I mostly hear engine noise - but my high-frequency hearing is not good.

Lot of vibration going on there--shift knob jumping everywhere. Much louder than my 77

Yeah not sure what to make of the vibration. The engine mounts were pretty bad when I tore it down, plus a bad pilot bushing, throw-out bearing, and wear patterns on the clutch springs.

Long story short - not sure yet whether that vibration was from inside or outside of the transmission - but I'm changing one variable at a time.

My FJ60 whines really, really loud like that. It drives me fxxxing nuts. Maybe it's time for a rebuild on the TC. On the highway, it's the loudest noise in the cab (which is saying something in an FJ60).

Peter

My FJ60 whines really, really loud like that. It drives me ****ing nuts. Maybe it's time for a rebuild on the TC. On the highway, it's the loudest noise in the cab (which is saying something in an FJ60).

Peter

I strongly suspect that once I deal with all the open holes in the floor and exhaust leaks that were present when that video was taken, that whine will be the loudest thing in the cab for me as well!

The twin sticks seem to be the perfect mechanism for transmitting that sound right into the cab.

Peter

Amen. I grab my sticks and squeeze them together and it dies down. I hate the sound of a rebuild in the morning.

My split case whined really loud, replaced the idler shaft and bearings and has been quiet for a couple years now.

My split case in my 80 whines like crazy even after rebuild and Marks gears, which also are known to whine. I do have twin sticks as well.

I am running into the same issue with my 1978 FJ40 4 speed. It is pretty miserable in 4th gear around and above 40mph. When I pull my foot off the gas it is fine but when accelerating it is extremely whiny. I had the transmission rebuilt when I did the restoration. Any idea where I should start to try and resolve this?

In early 1980 I purchased a new '79 leftover from Toyota of Tulsa. I lived about 45 miles south and commuted to Tulsa for work daily. On about the 2nd or 3rd day of ownership I felt a harsh "popping" through the gear shift lever. Maybe 2 or 3 times in rapid succession. Nothing unusual followed. I immediately took it to the dealer and left it overnight. They told me it was a little low of transmission lube. I did not accept their diagnosis but they were not willing to consider any other possibility. I never experienced that popping again. About 3 hours after the warranty expired :D:D I noticed a whine from the transmission. Oil levels were good so I lived with it for months then finally decided to pull it and inspect. I found some small, thin, light weight, metallic pieces in the bottom of the transmission. By using the diagrams in the manuals available to me at the time I determined they were some type of anti-rattle clips on the synchronizers. My conclusion was the clips (coming loose?) were the cause of the "popping" and the small pieces got mulched in the gears and slowly ate the bearings. I'm not certain my conclusions were correct as I've not heard of anything similar happening. Not having the confidence to rebuild the transmission I sourced a 1975 4 speed from Harmon 4WD and never had another problem.

In my experience, the most common cause of whining that changes pitch when you go from drive to coast is wear on transfer case idler gear shaft and bearings.
Thought the idler shaft/bearings was the death of one of these if not fixed, I've only done full rebuilds (terrain tamer) ?? out of a kit but think often only the shaft/bearings can be done however idk how to check short of full disassembly- FWIW when I put earlier 2.32 3 spd tcase onto my 4spd the new gear had a very noticeable whine as I guess it was not a matched set to my used gear. still slightly louder but it's been years ago so I'm thinking that has quieted

In early 1980 I purchased a new '79 leftover from Toyota of Tulsa. I lived about 45 miles south and commuted to Tulsa for work daily. On about the 2nd or 3rd day of ownership I felt a harsh "popping" through the gear shift lever. Maybe 2 or 3 times in rapid succession. Nothing unusual followed. I immediately took it to the dealer and left it overnight. They told me it was a little low of transmission lube. I did not accept their diagnosis but they were not willing to consider any other possibility. I never experienced that popping again. About 3 hours after the warranty expired :D:D I noticed a whine from the transmission. Oil levels were good so I lived with it for months then finally decided to pull it and inspect. I found some small, thin, light weight, metallic pieces in the bottom of the transmission. By using the diagrams in the manuals available to me at the time I determined they were some type of anti-rattle clips on the synchronizers. My conclusion was the clips (coming loose?) were the cause of the "popping" and the small pieces got mulched in the gears and slowly ate the bearings. I'm not certain my conclusions were correct as I've not heard of anything similar happening. Not having the confidence to rebuild the transmission I sourced a 1975 4 speed from Harmon 4WD and never had another problem.
thanks for the reply! I called the transmission shop that worked on it and plan on having them take a listen. I have not heard a "popping" yet.

I am running into the same issue with my 1978 FJ40 4 speed. It is pretty miserable in 4th gear around and above 40mph. When I pull my foot off the gas it is fine but when accelerating it is extremely whiny. I had the transmission rebuilt when I did the restoration. Any idea where I should start to try and resolve this?

Rebuild the transfer case. It is not hard to do and it is not expensive.

Rebuild the transfer case. It is not hard to do and it is not expensive.
The whine in my 77' is specifically in third gear. Acceleration and deceleration, quiet right in the no load zone. Quiet in all other gears. Thoughts ?? I'm thinking its transmission.

If it doesn’t whine in 4th and it does in 3rd, then I would suspect it is in the transmission. Likely a worn bearing on the third gear / output shaft that allows the gear to tilt under load.

thanks for the reply! I called the transmission shop that worked on it and plan on having them take a listen. I have not heard a "popping" yet.
I determined what this issue was. I took it to my mechanic, he said it was coming from the rear diff so I had them pull it apart and dive into it. Apparently when I rebuilt it 8 years ago. I did not reassemble it properly with the required shim spacing and did not tighten down the bolts tight enough for the C shaped clamp. It was all coming loose. Glad I brought it in when I did, it could have been a lot worse! Lesson learned and a spendy one at that. He charged me 11.5 hrs @ $100/hr plus parts for just the diff! I have to say though, it is driving great now! I also got new tie rod ends installed, caster shims, clutch master and had the OEM carb re-installed and re-jetted.

For future reference, good used differentials run about $50 to $100. Sometimes is it better to just buy a good used part. All your other parts are used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom