Transmission/Transfer Case Whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For future reference, good used differentials run about $50 to $100. Sometimes is it better to just buy a good used part. All your other parts are used.
Good point Pinhead!

Good point Pinhead!
Bringing this thread back since it is the most applicable...

Need opinions on temp fix like fluid additives and repairs like idler shaft/bearings if needed.

My symptoms in my 78 4 speed / t case are; pretty loud whine in all 4 gears, accelerating and decelerating, but goes away when clutch is engaged. Is this normal? It's been like this for over 5 years since I've owned it. (first 40 so I assume it might be normal). When I originally changed the fluids I think both trans and t case were suuuuuuper thick and took a long time to drain. I wondered if it was Lucas oil treatment or similar. Anyway filled all 4 boxes with off the shelf walmart 75/90 GL-5 and no difference in noise. Not worse and for sure not better.

Any opinions on fluid cheats to quiet it down?

With the whine in all 4 gears accelerating/decelerating but not in neutral or clutch engaged...it that a tell tale sign of certain repairs needed?

Or should I just shut up and drive? :-D

Need opinions on temp fix like fluid additives and repairs like idler shaft/bearings if needed.

My symptoms in my 78 4 speed / t case are; pretty loud whine in all 4 gears, accelerating and decelerating, but goes away when clutch is engaged. Is this normal? It's been like this for over 5 years since I've owned it. (first 40 so I assume it might be normal). When I originally changed the fluids I think both trans and t case were suuuuuuper thick and took a long time to drain. I wondered if it was Lucas oil treatment or similar. Anyway filled all 4 boxes with off the shelf walmart 75/90 GL-5 and no difference in noise. Not worse and for sure not better.

With the whine in all 4 gears accelerating/decelerating but not in neutral or clutch engaged...it that a tell tale sign of certain repairs needed?

You should be using a GL-4 oil

Straight cut gears will have more wine than helical cut gears. Use the proper gear oil to prevent pre-mature gear wear. The noise is what the noise is so get used to it.

Any recomendations on thicker oil or additives?

Has anyone tried this???

Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction gear oil treatment

1698629540818.png

My gears were in good shape. I resealed it and fixed the vacuum valve to allow it to come out of 4x4.
It was stuck in 4x4. It is much better now but the gears in these rigs are just noisy.

The parking brake drum leaked lube for years so on occasion while traveling the fluid level would get low.
I always figured that had something to do with the whine from the T case.
Finally put in a speedy sleave and fixed the leak.
Took some pipe insulation and trimmed it to fit over the gear shift and then made a vinyl cover.
It quiets the noise a bit.
Also have carpet and insulation on the floorboards.
I have had my 1970 FJ40 for 45 years now and lost count of how many hundreds of thousands of miles it has.
In all this time I have never had the gear boxes open.
Finally almost a month ago went through everything from the piolet bushing to the third member and axle bearings.
The gears in the trans and case looked good so just replaced all bearings and shims.
The whine is still there but not as prominent.
I also have an aftermarket floor shift, but think it is very much like the stock ones.
The two pins were worn and loose allowing the ball to move around in the socket.
After making new pins tightening the shifter I think it helped the noise issue a bit.
It does make gear changes feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom