Transmission cooler upgrade recommendation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LX450. My OEM transmission cooler has done his time. Has anyone found an upgraded unit that they can recommend? Looking to replace the OEM unit and put the new unit at the same place. No need for fancy electric fan units for my use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Model year? Tranny cooler is inside the radiator.
Is your radiator kaput? (kapoot? finished? done-for? toes-up in clay county?)

1997 LX. The transmission cooler is actually in front for the radiator on the driver side. 242K miles. Time to replace it all the fins are bent and it is not letting air through to the radiator

1997 LX. The transmission cooler is actually in front for the radiator on the driver side. 242K miles. Time to replace it all the fins are bent and it is not letting air through to the radiator
Interesting.
That component on my '93 is A/C related.

Or I'm mistaken.
My A/C has never worked and I've barely tried to t-shoot it.

Circled is the air transmission cooler. There is also a transmission cooler in the radiator.

Behind the transmission cooler is the A/C Condenser, and behind that is the radiator.

I don't think the air transmission cooler is available from Toyota. I wish because I would like to replace mine.

1691199051080.png

For the peeps that don’t mind some extra credit, they make fin straighteners that work for this application. I would fix the fins and shoot a fresh coat of paint on it and poof done.

I bought a Hayden trans cooler form O'Reilly's a couple years ago for $80ish that's worked great and plugged right in. Can't complain.

Last edited:
For the peeps that don’t mind some extra credit, they make fin straighteners that work for this application. I would fix the fins and shoot a fresh coat of paint on it and poof done.
Who is "They". People are interested in the facts not the rumors.

As anyone used a fin comb on an automotive condenser before. I see how it will work on an AC unit but not sure how it will do for this application as the fins are not simply vertical but more in a zig zag pattern…

I plan on either sending mine to Racin Jason Cramer at RJC and have him build me one or trying to weld some tabs on a CSF 8119 and stabbing it in there on mine. The CSF 8119 is smaller in width but it is a better design and will cool more efficiently.

I was able to get things looking pretty good with a little time, a screw driver and a can of coil cleaner. Lots of old crap came out. I’ll be testing it tomorrow and collect data with an OBDII reader.

IMG_8909.jpeg

IMG_8911.jpeg

IMG_8917.jpeg

IMG_8918.jpeg

I’ve used a small, flat screw driver to straighten cooling fins many times over the years. The stock 80’s trans cooling system is a good design that obviously does the job very well based on my temp gauge readings and the fact that hot transmissions are not a topic of discussion here and has proven itself to be durable not to mention it fits properly without a day of mounting mods.

Take a screw driver to those fins, make sure the plumbing is routed correctly and forget about it. If the fins are mashed together too tightly start the process with a pick.

I’ve used a small, flat screw driver to straighten cooling fins many times over the years. The stock 80’s trans cooling system is a good design that obviously does the job very well based on my temp gauge readings and the fact that hot transmissions are not a topic of discussion here and has proven itself to be durable not to mention it fits properly without a day of mounting mods.

Take a screw driver to those fins, make sure the plumbing is routed correctly and forget about it. If the fins are mashed together too tightly start the process with a pick.
I was composing this post when you posted. Good decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom