Transfer Case Shifter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Problem: Can't get out of 4hi.

Removed the center console, lubricated all that I could see, nothing.
Remove the linkage from transfer case to shifter, case will go into 4hi and 4lo but the shifter is stuck. That was a big relief knowing that the case itself isn't the problem but I still need to be able to go down to 4lo.

Without actually dropping the case, not too easy to identify things and was hoping that someone more intelligent than me would be able to offer some insight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The linkage isn't too complex, you could pretty safely spray it down from the top side with WD or silicon and then keep jiggling it to see if you can work it loose. Beyond that, could be something got bent if someone tried to force things at some point.

Problem: Can't get out of 4hi.

Removed the center console, lubricated all that I could see, nothing.
Remove the linkage from transfer case to shifter, case will go into 4hi and 4lo but the shifter is stuck. That was a big relief knowing that the case itself isn't the problem but I still need to be able to go down to 4lo.

Without actually dropping the case, not too easy to identify things and was hoping that someone more intelligent than me would be able to offer some insight.

Thanks in advance for your help.
There are a few threads that deal with a frozen linkage due to age and internal corrosion in that part of the linkage which is bolted to the top of the transfer case -- and what to do about it. In my case, the transfer case was dropped to gain access, others have cut holes in the floor to gain access to the relevant bolts -- in all of these cases flooding with a penetrating oil or spray was not enough -- but worth a try. A wander through this thread might be a good place to start, includes pictures ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom