Transmission fluid on my transfer case? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This looks and smells like transmission fluid. It’s red and seems to be coming from where the transmission mates with the transfer case. Anybody seen this kind of leak before? Gonna try some at205 before I drop the transfer case.

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4621.jpeg

This looks and smells like transmission fluid. It’s red and seems to be coming from where the transmission mates with the transfer case. Anybody seen this kind of leak before? Gonna try some at205 before I drop the transfer case.

View attachment 3565070

View attachment 3565071
Your rear output shaft seal on the transmission may be leaking. AT-205 is a good first step.

Keep it mind the coolant, unless changed incorrectly, is red as well. Does it smell sweet or oily?

Your rear output shaft seal on the transmission may be leaking. AT-205 is a good first step.
I added AT-205 to my transfer case a couple weeks ago. No more smell of oil from output shaft burning on muffler.....at least for now.

^^ How much of AT 205 did you add to transfercase? I have a very weak leak (just a very fine film) at the input seal on transfer. I am planning to do a complete seal kit replacement later.

^^ How much of AT 205 did you add to transfercase? I have a very weak leak (just a very fine film) at the input seal on transfer. I am planning to do a complete seal kit replacement later.
You add ~1.3oz per quart of oil. Bottle has 8oz. I usually mix an oz in quart bottles when I do a fluid change on a baseline or if needed and call it close enough.

Power steering pump leaks can end up there. I had chest pain when I saw it, turned out to be a power steering hose was leaking. Good luck!

Power steering pump leaks can end up there. I had chest pain when I saw it, turned out to be a power steering hose was leaking. Good luck!
What’s weird is I’m not seeing a noticeable loss in fluid, tranny or power steering or coolant.

What’s weird is I’m not seeing a noticeable loss in fluid, tranny or power steering or coolant.
It probably takes less than a tablespoon to create what you’re seeing.

The fill plug w/O-ring is on LH side rear. Make sure it's not leaking

Also the 98-02 TC shares breather & hose with A/T. Been finding them clogged. The 03- have sperate breathers, but still check them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom