Transfer case ticking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new to the LC100 world, was curious if anyone has had ticking coming from the transfer case after greasing the rear shaft and Ujoints?

Hmm instesting. I have not heard about this. Usually they just work or go bad into pieces of gear that is.

I'd check your oil in the T-case just to ensure your oil level is good. In this case you would open the Fill hole which should be in the side. And check to see if the oil is slowly dripping or if the oil is right below the fill hole - if you stick your finger in the fill hole, the oil should be right below you finger. Which means it's fill. If it's a little bit below your finger then you need to add more oil.

Btw It takes specific type of differential oil 75w-10 or something like that. Please check the manual or this forum on the type of oil if you need to add some.

Hmm instesting. I have not heard about this. Usually they just work or go bad into pieces of gear that is.

I'd check your oil in the T-case just to ensure your oil level is good. In this case you would open the Fill hole which should be in the side. And check to see if the oil is slowly dripping or if the oil is right below the fill hole - if you stick your finger in the fill hole, the oil should be right below you finger. Which means it's fill. If it's a little bit below your finger then you need to add more oil.

Btw It takes specific type of differential oil 75w-10 or something like that. Please check the manual or this forum on the type of oil if you need to add some.
Thank you for your response, I have checked and changed the oil in the transfer case. I was told to ride around with the grease fitting off of my shaft and see if that fixes it. I’m told I over filled my slip yoke. There for it pushed the shaft into the transfer case. Not sure how much damage that will cause or if it’s reversible.

Thank you for your response, I have checked and changed the oil in the transfer case. I was told to ride around with the grease fitting off of my shaft and see if that fixes it. I’m told I over filled my slip yoke. There for it pushed the shaft into the transfer case. Not sure how much damage that will cause or if it’s reversible.
In my experience, over-fillin the slip yoke is a non-issue unless (theoretically) the grease that's inside of it is so hard that nothing will push past the seal. If you're flinging grease then you should be fine.

Are you 100% sure that this is where the noise is coming from? And can you readily shift from Hi to Lo? Did it make the noise before you drain/filled the t-case, and are you sure that it's filled to the correct level with appropriate (75w90 or 80w90) fluid?

If you overfilled the slip joint, you might want to remove it. Just remove the grease fitting on the slip joint/splines and bounce the vehicle few times and then reinstall the slip joint. I do 2-3 pumps with a mini hand pump.

In my experience, over-fillin the slip yoke is a non-issue unless (theoretically) the grease that's inside of it is so hard that nothing will push past the seal. If you're flinging grease then you should be fine.

Are you 100% sure that this is where the noise is coming from? And can you readily shift from Hi to Lo? Did it make the noise before you drain/filled the t-case, and are you sure that it's filled to the correct level with appropriate (75w90 or 80w90) fluid?
We put it on a lift and it seemed to be coming from the Tcase. It only started ticking after I greased the slip yoke and Ujoints. But grease did come out of the yoke, that’s when I stopped pumping the grease.

If you overfilled the slip joint, you might want to remove it. Just remove the grease fitting on the slip joint/splines and bounce the vehicle few times and then reinstall the slip joint. I do 2-3 pumps with a mini hand pump.
I will remove the grease fitting and drive around some more. Thank you again

We put it on a lift and it seemed to be coming from the Tcase. It only started ticking after I greased the slip yoke and Ujoints. But grease did come out of the yoke, that’s when I stopped pumping the grease.
Did you happen to add grease while up on the lift?

I drove it again today and you can definitely tell it is coming from the Tcase now, you can feel it in the H/L shift handle. I guess I will break it down and see what it is. Thank you all for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom