100 Transfer Case small cracks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone with a 100 (2006) have cracks like these on your transfer case? I saw a couple posts for non-100 series but couldn’t find one specific to the 100. They seem to be surface level after scratching at them but boy are there a bunch of them. Pretty sure they aren’t casting marks. That would be silly if they were. No fluid is coming out from them. Yes there is another leak I’m going to be dealing with soon.

IMG_6342.jpeg

IMG_6340.jpeg

IMG_6346.jpeg

IMG_6338.jpeg

I have an 06 and recently did seals + bearings refresh on my t-case, yes I also saw that. Good news is that’s only cosmetic. More like reaction on the paint (primer + paint) applied to the surface. I wire-brushed using a power tool those areas with high spots to even out the surface, I considered repainting it but after the wire-brush, it exposed the anodized finish, made the surface smoother and cleaner so no need to paint it per-se imo.

I have an 06 and recently did seals + bearings refresh on my t-case, yes I also saw that. Good news is that’s only cosmetic. More like reaction on the paint (primer + paint) applied to the surface. I wire-brushed using a power tool those areas with high spots to even out the surface, I considered repainting it but after the wire-brush, it exposed the anodized finish, made the surface smoother and cleaner so no need to paint it per-se imo.
My man. Thank you. How much time did the seals/bearings take? Looks like I’ve got a sloooooowww leak front and back. Not enough to affect levels but leaking nonetheless. Was considering putting it on my procrastination list.

My man. Thank you. How much time did the seals/bearings take? Looks like I’ve got a sloooooowww leak front and back. Not enough to affect levels but leaking nonetheless. Was considering putting it on my procrastination list.
Would’ve been faster with the right tooling present when the components came in. It can actually be done in a day, pulldown from transmission to disassemble (not press required) to reassemble using press for the pinion bearing. I just needed to do mine in prep for our spring break road trip. How it looked like before and after:
28C18790-41F6-4E73-BB60-C211433EF8A2.jpeg

There’s a lot of resources in YouTube, I used all of them and cherry-picked their best practices rather than just watching a few, and that helped a lot getting the job right.

Would’ve been faster with the right tooling present when the components came in. It can actually be done in a day, pulldown from transmission to disassemble (not press required) to reassemble using press for the pinion bearing. I just needed to do mine in prep for our spring break road trip. How it looked like before and after:View attachment 3579705
There’s a lot of resources in YouTube, I used all of them and cherry-picked their best practices rather than just watching a few, and that helped a lot getting the job right.
Looks great. I should buy a press. Thanks again for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom