“Un-Sticking” The Transfer Case Lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been working through the various corroded components on my rig and found the 4 H N L Lever is “stuck” in the 4 H position. I mentioned this earlier and folks pointed out it probably needs a bit of PB Blast and some force. I’m sure it’s never been engaged - Question - once I let the PB work it’s magic I plan to place a piece of pipe on the lever and tap it liberally. Should I have the truck’s transmission in N as well? Could I potentially damage anything? I have located the lever at the transfer case, should it move freely once de-corroded and lubricated?

You can shift the lever with the trans in Park (engine OFF). It will just take some use once you've gotten it to move. And yes, if the parts aren't just horribly pitted with rust it will free up and work normally (with exercise).

You can shift the lever with the trans in Park (engine OFF). It will just take some use once you've gotten it to move. And yes, if the parts aren't just horribly pitted with rust it will free up and work normally (with exercise).
Thanks Flintknapper - just want to be certain before I go to whacking!

Wow, just fixed this on my 2004 - one owner and never put in Low.

There are 2 issues - First the shift lever can seize and (2) the transfer case lever can seize and needs help to free it up (more than jamming the shift lever).

Is there any play in the shift lever? Does it budge at all? If not, start with removing the shift lever.

1. Remove console. It pulls straight up (might require a gentle pry)
2. Remove shift lever. On a 2004 there is a bracket (possibly air bag related) - 2 bolts and 4 bolts for the shift lever top - and one nut underneath at transmission linkage.
3. Remove transfer case knob and boot (4 bolts)

4. Unbolt transfer case lever. It is four bolts, however to get access I removed the transmission crossmember (4 bolts on each side plus 2 at the mount) and gently lowered the transmission/transfer case 3-4 inches. 3644 is what needs to come out. The nut at the linkage end is a pain and requires a (8 or 9mm) wrench or needle nose vise grips to hold the ball end and 12mm wrench on the nut. (More next post)

F7ACEACC-C7D2-43AC-99D9-79F4F1DEE306.jpeg

Wow, just fixed this on my 2004 - one owner and never put in Low.

There are 2 issues - First the shift lever can seize and (2) the transfer case lever can seize and needs help to free it up (more than jamming the shift lever).

Is there any play in the shift lever? Does it budge at all? If not, start with removing the shift lever.

1. Remove console. It pulls straight up (might require a gentle pry)
2. Remove shift lever. On a 2004 there is a bracket (possibly air bag related) - 2 bolts and 4 bolts for the shift lever top - and one nut underneath at transmission linkage.
3. Remove transfer case knob and boot (4 bolts)

4. Unbolt transfer case lever. It is four bolts, however to get access I removed the transmission crossmember (4 bolts on each side plus 2 at the mount) and gently lowered the transmission/transfer case 3-4 inches. 3644 is what needs to come out. The nut at the linkage end is a pain and requires a (8 or 9mm) wrench or needle nose vise grips to hold the ball end and 12mm wrench on the nut. (More next post)

View attachment 2600750

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION - I took out the transfer case>front drive shaft.

Linkage from top (nut loosened from underneath)
37FFBBDD-25D7-444D-AA4B-61C29A56BD37.jpeg

D7023F44-92E7-458E-AC5B-AABA4EE15F51.jpeg

Second part of my problem was the transfer case was seized. Fortunately a tap with a hammer/pipe and a little heat freed it up.

Here is the view (note vise grips holding linkage). From the back side I tapped it loose (also sprayed some penetrating oil and propane torch from the top).
B3A21B7C-AAA9-4237-A8DC-FE49250CFDD4.jpeg

Hopefully your transfer case is free, and doesn’t require attention.

If you are taking the transfer lever out, it pulls out through the a/t shift lever opening.

Lowering the transmission makes it easy to get to the 4 bolts on top. Note there is a rubber gasket, rubber washers/spacers and little ‘L’ washers on the top mount. L washers go under the mount. If I knew ahead of time, I would have ordered a new rubber gasket. I used some grease to hold them in place, a drop of sealant/silicone would work better.

The shift lever is mounted on rubber to minimize vibrations.

355F7178-2A91-42CF-9C9F-EA77C5874736.jpeg

Last edited:
THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM - ASK WHAT TIME IT IS AND SOMEONE WILL BUILD YOU A CLOCK!!!! Thanks you, thank you, thank you. Your notes and diagrams will help greatly. There is no play what so every by the way - so it looks like this just became a "Saturday Project." At least I may need to wait until I can devote a few hours - thanks again!

I’ve been working through the various corroded components on my rig and found the 4 H N L Lever is “stuck” in the 4 H position. I mentioned this earlier and folks pointed out it probably needs a bit of PB Blast and some force. I’m sure it’s never been engaged - Question - once I let the PB work it’s magic I plan to place a piece of pipe on the lever and tap it liberally. Should I have the truck’s transmission in N as well? Could I potentially damage anything? I have located the lever at the transfer case, should it move freely once de-corroded and lubricated?
Looks like you already have all the information needed -- here are a few more pics and ideas from another thread:

The situation of the Transfer Case shifter can be seen below:
(Acknowledgement to @Moridinbg for the picture)

LC100 Transfer Shifter 1HD-FTE.jpg

lc100-transfer-shifter-1hd-fte-jpg.2605914

He needs to make an upgraded version of The Excellent !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom