Transfer Case Rebuild & Modification (Low & High Range Gears & Part Time 4wd Kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Dudes,

I was lucky enough to partner with an expert in the industry to bring you guys a 4-Part series showing how to rebuild and modify the HF2AV transfer case. The expert I'm talking about is Georg Esterer @orangefj45 who owns Valley Hybrids in Stockton, California. Georg's Valley Hybrids shop is a Land Cruiser specialty shop that's been in business for over 20 years. Georg has been turning wrenches on Land Cruisers for the past 30 years and has a wealth of knowledge to share. Georg does a phenomenal job of describing every little detail of the rebuild and modification process. You will not find a better instructor than Georg for this job, in my opinion.

All the parts for this job came from Cruiser Brothers. They stock the rebuild kits, high and low range gear sets and the part-time kits and a whole lot more for your 100 Series Land Cruiser. Home - CruiserBrothers - https://cruiserbrothers.com/

I know you guys will appreciate this series. Here's Part 1:

Last edited:
Perfect timing. I'm starting this in a month or two. Thanks!

Timmy, thank you for all the great videos . I have used probably about 10 of your videos to help me with my 3rd Gen 4Runner. So great to see 100 series content! Keep it up man!

Pleas can anyone help me,I used to run a 1992 4.2 diesel land cruiser auto,fantastic truck couldn't fault it,until it was wrote off by an even bigger truck, iv now bought a 1942 international harvester 3ton military truck & it has a 80's series 4.2 turbo deisel land cruiser engine & box in it, with 5 speed manual & transfer box from about a 1992 ish truck, all gears & transfer box gears are standard, the rest of the truck is standard diffs & axles, witch we could never get new diffs for (because of its age & rarity) !! My dilemma is the truck cruises at about 40mph at sensible revs, I need it to cruise at 50mph at the same revs, the truck pulls away easily in 2 second gear, if it's got a very slight down hill it pulls away nicely in third !! So we have plenty of power & holds the hills without dropping gears early !! The height of the wheels is 39 inchs tall, where as the standard land cruiser wheels stand about 30 inches tall. Im thinking can I buy a kit for the transfer box to give me more speed with the same revs !! Please please help im ripping my head to bits here !!

Timmy, thank you for all the great videos . I have used probably about 10 of your videos to help me with my 3rd Gen 4Runner. So great to see 100 series content! Keep it up man!
You're very welcome! It's great to know my videos are helping you out. Happy Wrenching!

Sub’d, thanks for the video. I will soon be doing my input and output shaft seal and while at it t-case reduction gearset as well and this will help me a lot.

I just picked up gears for mine, perfect timing indeed.
I’m in for a much bigger job than anticipated 😂

You might want to change the thumbnails so they aren’t all the same.

I just picked up gears for mine, perfect timing indeed.
I’m in for a much bigger job than anticipated 😂

You might want to change the thumbnails so they aren’t all the same.

I asked my buddy who creates the thumbnails to put which part they are on the thumbnail so it doesn't confuse people which part they are clicking on.

Reactions: GTV
Part 4 is live Fellers. Check out Post #4. This concludes the series. For anyone finding this thread, I hope you appreciate the gift @orangefj45 has provided you. You have to know this is a fairly rare event that an expert in the industry takes time out their busy schedule to share trade secrets they have developed over decades of turning wrenches on Land Cruisers.

I can say with 100% certainty this video series will never be surpassed. Do you know how I know this? It's because the level of work it took to bring this series to you was ENORMOUS! Georg and I filmed for around 12 hours together to capture the necessary footage. Then it was probably 50-60 hours of editing. We put this kind of work into our DIY videos because we want people to succeed. Sure, there are much more succinct videos on this subject matter, but when people get lost and have questions, guess where they will come? That's right, to this series because Georg provided detail and explanation that no other video series will offer.

Happy Wrenching my 100 Series Land Cruiser Brothers!

Thanks for the video @Timmy65. About 2 hours maybe getting this done.
Part 1:
9BB6D388-3C07-45CB-AD12-008F8A650F25.jpeg

Quick part number check:
• Input Shaft Seal part number: 90311-48025
• Output Shaft Seal part number: 90311-58008

Are these correct? Thanks in advance.

Quick part number check:
• Input Shaft Seal part number: 90311-48025
• Output Shaft Seal part number: 90311-58008

Are these correct? Thanks in advance.
I don't know the individual part numbers for those seals. We just have the links to the rebuild kits sold by Cruiser Brothers. You could always call Cruiser Brothers and get the seals you need.

I don't know the individual part numbers for those seals. We just have the links to the rebuild kits sold by Cruiser Brothers. You could always call Cruiser Brothers and get the seals you need.

Thank you will give them a call this afternoon.

Quick question, upon pull down of the t-case I noticed that the shaft on the transmission side has traces of red fluid, I’m assuming this is ATF transmission fluid? If so, does that mean the seal on this shaft is also leaking?
IMG_3684.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg

Thank you.

Quick question, upon pull down of the t-case I noticed that the shaft on the transmission side has traces of red fluid, I’m assuming this is ATF transmission fluid? If so, does that mean the seal on this shaft is also leaking?
View attachment 3546078
View attachment 3546081
View attachment 3546082
Thank you.
God damn right.

For some of us this isn’t a game or a hobby or some such passing fancy.

It’s our entire way of life.

View attachment 3546078
View attachment 3546081
View attachment 3546082
Thank you.
You should absolutely replace the output shaft seal of the transfer case while doing this job. Yes, that is ATF from the automatic transmission. You can get that seal from Cruiser Brothers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom