Tranny Rebuild -Shadetree Mechanic Style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a valve body gasket kit that I wish I was rebuilding for.;)
DSCF0597mud.jpg

Last edited:
I'll say it again. That is an amazing project and you have my respect for taking it on. By now, I'd be sitting amongst a pile of tiny machined parts in a dark room rocking back and forth while repeatedly saying "redrum" in a wierd voice....

DougM

This is excellent.. I'll parrot the others by commending the balsy undertaking! Man and to think I was worried about taking off the throttle body.. anyway thanks for the pics & post please keep the info coming! I for one hope I only return to this post for entertainment value.. and a little education. :cheers:

Okay,
So it's time to start the assembly. But just as I get started I break a bolt on a rear plate.

1st pic: Body is air dried and ready for components to be bolts to it.

2nd pic: Install the rear bearing with the SST that I bought from SPX

3rd pic: install the rear plate and bolts. Spec says 7.8Nm (69 in.-lbf)
Well, I break a bolt. So, off to Lowe's tomorrow for a similar spec and length bolt.

Cheers,
11-18-05 assembly start.JPG
11-18-05 install bearing.JPG
11-18-05 install plate-break bolt.JPG

That's an amazingly complex aluminum casting. I'm not sure I want to know that I have one of those things lurking behind my engine. Whew. Good thing they're essentially bulletproof.

DougM

More pics: Piston, First and Reverse brakes.

First two pics are of the clutches in place.

Last pic is the tolerence and stoke measurement of the piston and clutches.

Now then, This is were Toyota suggests to use one of the SST's for the tolerance spec. Well, seeing how this is shadetree mechanic style, here is what I did. The dial indicator is used in conjunction with the longest parts of a coat hanger that I engineered. Basically, I took the hanger and cut the ends for a straight bar. Then I filed down the two ends smooth and threaded one side.

If you can visualize the clutches and the piston in the three above photo moving up and down the piston stoke should be 3.3 - 3.8mm.

I'm in spec, 3.3mm dead on.
11-19-05 install first and reverse brake piston2.JPG
11-19-05 install first and reverse brake piston.jpg
11-19-05 check piston stroke.jpg

So the lower end of the hanger has a 90 degree bend, and there's a piston down there we can't see that you're stroking and measuring as the clutch pack comes up toward the camera and then down again? Nice work.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
So the lower end of the hanger has a 90 degree bend, and there's a piston down there we can't see that you're stroking and measuring as the clutch pack comes up toward the camera and then down again? Nice work.

DougM

Doug,
Yes, that's exactly what's going on.
Here's a pic with call outs.
11-19-05 install first and reverse brake piston description.JPG

Tranny on a plate instead of Turkey, Jim?

alia176 said:
Tranny on a plate instead of Turkey, Jim?

:D

____

You coming out to Toys for Tots on 12/3?

Wow. Thousand bucks for a rebuild kit and no steels? :eek:

Nice job. I did my first tranny rebuild recently from a how-to video on a TH400.
It took two solid days. I've got about 100 miles on it now and it shifts great, so hopefully I got most of it right. I'm not looking forward to doing the trans on the 80, but I feel confidant i can do it now.

Steels arrived 11-23-05

Gumby,
The total of the rebuild kit was under $500. The kit included the steels for the brakes and clutches, Brakes and Clutches, gaskets and seals.
The pictures of the kit (prior posts) is everything prior to the steels being delivered to me.

Here are the pics of the new clutches steels and an old clutch steel.
11-23-05 new steels2.JPG
11-23-05 New Steels.JPG

Update from last night buildup 11-23-05

Here's pics of the build up.

Pictured is the "Planet arum" gear, one-way clutch and output shaft assembly installed on the housing.
11-23-05 install planetary gears, one-way clutch and output shaft assy.JPG
11-23-05 buildup.JPG
11-23-05 buldup2.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the center support installed after the planetary gear, one-way clutch and output shaft assembly.

The center support hold the 2nd brake (B2).
11-23-05 install center support 2nd brake.JPG

Last edited:
how do these clutches work?
there is some actuator that presses them together and then it's steel on steel?

e-
The brains behind the tranny is the valve body assembly. This units tells the brakes and clutches to engage and disengage.

What's in the body right now is the 1st and reverse brake (B3) and the 2nd Brake (B2) which is inside the center support assembly.

Here's some pics of the FSM with a side view cutaway of the tranny.

Enjoy,

Now is off to eat some bird.:D
A440F mechanical operation.jpg
DSCF0618.JPG

landtank said:
Are you soaking the clutches in ATF prior to assembly? I thought I remember reading that years ago.

LT,
Yeah, they have been soaking for a week in ATF. The manual only calls for 15 minutes. But since I had them, might as well really soak um.

Also, the manual says to use petroleum jelly so the bearing assemble can stick to the parts. So I've asked my brother to barrow some from his closet.:flipoff2: (O' he's gonna be pissed when he reads this)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom