Tranny Rebuild -Shadetree Mechanic Style

Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
270
Location
Austin, TX
powerglide (2spd) ; inline 4 : mercedes (7spd) ; W16 (VW engine)
is to as is to

if that makes sense.

i have rebiult 1 auto tranny (4spd). its not hard, just time consuming. all the adustment to spec is done before it is put in the vehicle. so, in that respect you could call transmission rebuilding easier.

the difficulty of assembly all depends on your experience in either area and the understanding of the mechanics.

also need high quality (accurate) tools.


great thread too!
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
12-17-05 Update

Well, I got to rebuild the Overdrive Planetary Gear, Overdrive Direct Clutch and Overdrive One-way Clutch today.

Here are the pics:

1. OD Planetary Gear pieces
2. OD Planetary Gear tolerance check. Tol is 0.20 - 0.59mm with max of 0.80mm, I spec'ed out between 0.20mm and .59mm as 0.20mm went in with no resistence and 0.59mm did not go in to any of the four gear wheels.

3. bushing inside diameter check.
12-17-05 OD pieces.jpg
12-17-05 Overdrive Planetary Gear.jpg
12-17-05 Overdive Planetary tol check.JPG
 
Last edited:

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
12-17-05 Update

More pics: clutch check.

Now then, the book says to use the torque convertor and the pump as a platform to measure the overdrive piston stroke.
Well I had a better idea. I inverted the pump and placed it in the tranny body and used that as the platform. Worked like a charm.

The specs calls for a piston stroke of 1.10 - 1.70mm. Well, I checked out okay with no problems at 1.5mm.

Other then the valve body that needs to be rebuilt I and finished with rebuilding all the sub-assemblies for the tranny. The bearing race did not come in on Friday so it might be until Xmas that I finish this project. Bummer.:mad:
12-17-05 Overdrive Direct Clutch.JPG
12-17-05 OD Clutch spec check.JPG
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
Nakman-
Thanks for the reply.

I was planning on rebuilding one piece of the valve body today, however last night was a hard one

1 Guinness, 1 Gin&Tonic, 1 Dewar's on the rocks and 1 Miller lite has me under.
I remember now why I promised myself back in my 20's never to mix beer and hard liquor.

Back to bed.
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
12-19-05 Update

Well, It appears the bearing race is on the slow JUNK from Japan. Dealer said it's TBA, which they interprete as the supplier is making the part.

Well, let's see, since I work for a teir I automotive supplier to Toyota and other customers, the process going sometime like this:

1. Dealer sends signal to TMS is CA for the bearing.
2. CA replies to the dealer that they don't have it. Will give ETA tomorrow.
3. TMS sends signal to TMC for the part.
4. TMC sends order to supplier.
5. Supplier replies that they can send out on 12-12-05. [Original Date]
6. Part not available. Send signal to TMC that part is now TBA.
7. Tier I supplier requests material to tier II supplier.
8. Tier II supplier sends material.
9. Supplier issues Kanban for a production run of specified lot size.
10.Supplier ships out the parts to TMC.
11. Side effect: UPS, Fedex, BlackCat [pick the shipping company] is back logged because of the Xmas effect.
12. TMC ships to TMS.
13. TMS ships to Dealer.
14. Jimmy receives parts. TBA!!

In any case, here are the pics of the valve body disassemble.
12-19-05 valve body1.JPG
12-19-05 valve body2.JPG
12-19-05 valve body3.JPG
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
and some more.

Damn, just look at all those pistons. I hope I remember how to put it back together.

Surpisingly enough, there's only one torque spec for the entire valve body. 5.4 Nm.
But they have lenght references for all the springs that need to be spec'ed out.
12-19-05 valve body7.JPG
12-19-05 valve body8.JPG
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
6,048
Location
Dixie co. Florida
That reminds me of a circuit board, instead of electrons it uses ATF

besides the one clutch pack and the race have you found anything else out of spec?
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
RT-
At this point no. The individual components have all checked out. However, the race is the only thing holding me up to check the stackup height to finish the measurements. There is two more measurements that I have to take once I have the race.
 

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
3,945
Location
Austin, Texas
On my FJ62 the PO had the Tranny rebuilt at around 250K. But they had put in a rebuilt Torque Converter – and now 50K miles later it’s going out. My knowledge on tranny is limited … but from what I’ve told – it just not worth the hassle to rebuild everything and not use a new torque Converter!

Iam inspired by your work – Maybe I’ll put my new converter in myself! :)
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
The place I got the rebuild kit from is the largest distribute for AT rebuild kits.
They stock RECON brand TC in addition to rebuild kits. I researched TC's and found a company called DACCO. They have the A440F TC in the catalog. Check'em out.

I'm amazing that someone was bold enough to tell the PO that the TC was rebuilt. The TC is mfg'ed in two halves and welded together. I don't think the PO understood what he heard.

To change out the TC is very easy. Drop the tranny and it's right there. Pull out the TC and fill the new with ATF and slap it in. Not hard at all. Just have a tranny jack for support.

Good luck.
Give a PM if you need help.


mmw68 said:
On my FJ62 the PO had the Tranny rebuilt at around 250K. But they had put in a rebuilt Torque Converter – and now 50K miles later it’s going out. My knowledge on tranny is limited … but from what I’ve told – it just not worth the hassle to rebuild everything and not use a new torque Converter!

Iam inspired by your work – Maybe I’ll put my new converter in myself! :)
 
Last edited:

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Moderator
 
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
23,579
Location
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
This post needs to be a sticky. What great information, presented in a concise manner. This is exaclty how it works.




jklubens said:
Well, It appears the bearing race is on the slow JUNK from Japan. Dealer said it's TBA, which they interprete as the supplier is making the part.

Well, let's see, since I work for a teir I automotive supplier to Toyota and other customers, the process going sometime like this:

1. Dealer sends signal to TMS is CA for the bearing.
2. CA replies to the dealer that they don't have it. Will give ETA tomorrow.
3. TMS sends signal to TMC for the part.
4. TMC sends order to supplier.
5. Supplier replies that they can send out on 12-12-05. [Original Date]
6. Part not available. Send signal to TMC that part is now TBA.
7. Tier I supplier requests material to tier II supplier.
8. Tier II supplier sends material.
9. Supplier issues Kanban for a production run of specified lot size.
10.Supplier ships out the parts to TMC.
11. Side effect: UPS, Fedex, BlackCat [pick the shipping company] is back logged because of the Xmas effect.
12. TMC ships to TMS.
13. TMS ships to Dealer.
14. Jimmy receives parts. TBA!!

In any case, here are the pics of the valve body disassemble.
 

Cruiser Jimmy

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,090
Location
Grand Junction, CO
mmw68,
I guest I have to correct myself.
Recon is a tradename that you can get thru Axiom Automotive Services.
Dacco is a remanufacturer of TC's. After talking with a specialist at Axiom it appears that TC's are all remanufactured unless you go thru Toyota and buy a new one for $600 to $700.

The part number for an A440F Torque Convertor is TO46 from either Dacco or Axiom.

Thanks,


jklubens said:
The place I got the rebuild kit from is the largest distribute for AT rebuild kits.
They stock RECON brand TC in addition to rebuild kits. I researched TC's and found a company called DACCO. They have the A440F TC in the catalog. Check'em out.

I'm amazing that someone was bold enough to tell the PO that the TC was rebuilt. The TC is mfg'ed in two halves and welded together. I don't think the PO understood what he heard.

To change out the TC is very easy. Drop the tranny and it's right there. Pull out the TC and fill the new with ATF and slap it in. Not hard at all. Just have a tranny jack for support.

Good luck.
Give a PM if you need help.
 
Top Bottom