Tragedy on Cross Country Trip Home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.drain the coolant and then follow these disassembly steps.
1578412930557.png

Last edited:
I skipped step 1, and instead of step 2 (exhaust removal) I unbolted the first exhaust hanger in able to pull the exhaust and intake away from the head. I skipped steps 6 and 9 and just pulled them out of the way instead of removal.
Not mentioned here is that you will need to remove the temp sensor and the water pipe at the back of the head drivers side.
Once the rocker assembly is off and the head sent out, you can take your time and go thru the rocker assembly keeping things in order and cleaning the many oil passages.

Last edited:
Depending on how long the head gasket was leaking, you'll want to inspect the cylinder walls while you have it apart. They could be scored bad enough from the coolant entering the cylinder that you'll be getting oil past the rings and your head rebuild will be for nothing.

First step is remove the hood. Way easier ta access everything. If you don't own one, buy an engine hoist.
:beer:

Yay! Sounds like you found the issue. I would recommend getting some help from someone who has pulled a head. Just cracking the head bolts loose can be a challenge and pulling the manifold set off is difficult. I am glad you could troubleshoot, but I would get some hands on help at this point. Putting the head back on without a hoist is a nice way to RIP the new head gasket. The manifolds can give you a vacuum leak. Good luck and keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom