Toyota Mini Truck Bed Interchangeability (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome! Thanks for the help, My plan is to return the truck to stock while keeping it as original as possible...
My search will begin for an '86 model replacement!

I'd keep the third generation bed or buy a fiber glass one. The 84-88 beds all rust easily.

I want to keep the factory stock look as much as possible, so I will be looking for a proper fitting bed.
Fiberglass ones seem to be pretty pricey... +$2000! if i'm looking right...
It would be great not to worry about rust but are they durable enough for regular use??

Or fiberglass sides and a steel bottom. They aren't cheap by the stock bed will rust out. It's why people use 3rd gen beds or go with a flatbed

Dredging up a 3-yr-old thread. Already a lot of good info here and it's better to keep the info in one place for next newbie like me!

So... it appears the rolled lip was a 2wd and 4wd thing. Apparently, the Fleetside was U.S. only and built/installed in California.
Flares - that's the quickest identifier.

What is the year range for bolt-on compatibility? At some point, the fuel door moved to the driver's side. An earlier post showed a 3rd gen (pic gone) but said the bed is wider than the cab and the body lines are off. I would count that as "Not compatible."

Last edited:
Pretty sure the gas tank moved to the drivers side with the new Tacoma in mid-95.

Also glad this thread surfaced! I had no idea this place existed:

I'm not convinced. That truck was either a one-off custom job, or it's a fiberglass replacement bed. With all the other crap bolted on that thing, could be anything. What's up with those mirrors? :eek:

TOYOTA PICKUP Catalogue-

Show me a factory lit brochure, or get beno or C-Dan to confirm. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

Has anybody used them? Is their stuff legit? I'm looking at 1982 but holy cow if this is real I'll be driving to Buffalo. I need sheet metal.

Thanks.

ShowCars does exist and is in business. I sent an email and got a call. Terry - very nice woman - asked a bunch of questions, e.g. year, 2wd or 4wd, ect. and is sending me a quote for the fiberglass bed side panels and for a full bed.

That's the good news. The bad news: Steel bed sides and beds are NOT being produced or sold anymore.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm the wheel openings on a 2wd bed - 1984 through 1988 - are smaller than their 4wd counterpart?

Measurement request:

I'm looking into modifying a 2wd bed - enlarging the wheel openings - to match the 4wd bed. If you have a minute, could you measure the X and Y dimensions for me? Once we have those, I'll delete all this text and just leave the graphic here. It may be useful to someone else in the future. Thanks!

Bed Graphic.jpg

Are you interested in the "Y" dimension from my 2wd bed? "X" is no longer measurable. My bed is the lip single wall style by the way.

@jeremy9 definitely. I'll make a third graphic for the rolled lip or "Japanese spec" bed. Thanks!

The "Y" dimension is 12-1/8" Top of bed rail/lip to the wheel opening at the opening's highest point. "X" is too far trimmed out for any decent number to go off.

No progress on the bed yet. Well, not entirely true - sketches of the tray back are lookin good. But, they're just sketches. In the meantime... still keeping an eye out for a (mostly) local, bed in good shape.

I've come to grips with these facts:
- There are no and will be no 84-88 beds from 4wd trucks that aren't complete buckets
- Fiberglass is not really an option - cost, shipping cost, crazy lead times

Realistic options:
- A bed from a 2wd 84-88 truck
- A bed from a 89-94 truck

On that note, there's this one - '94, 2wd...
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 1.30.59 PM.png

... not too far away. Seller claims it's 100% rust free, ready for paint (where have I heard that before?).

Any of you guys have firsthand knowledge of how these fit?
- Does that body line match the body line of the cab?
- Does it bolt up - same 8 bolts/holes?

Thanks!

Related: I almost had to lock the front hubs yesterday... on a dead-level pea gravel driveway. This truck NEEDS a bed.

Can't seem to find a picture of an extended cab, but it looks like it's been done before. Here's a little guide and pics:

79-83 bed fits with mininmal mods , but body lines dont match
89-95 beds fit with 6 of 8 holes lining up this bed is 1.5" wider then stock , and lines "sorta " fit
Tacoms bed .. just looks dumb !!

Personally the body line differences would really bug me.

185352d1501885158-truck-bed-swap-l_1d863550d9fba4758b397c44a44c135e.jpg

91083d1361673648-2nd-3rd-gen-bed-79-83-1stgen-3rdgenbed.jpg
91084d1361673648-2nd-3rd-gen-bed-79-83-3rdgenbedon1stgen2.jpg

76879d1256708878-anyone-have-pics-bed-swap-89-94-wmfinished3.jpg

331058d1192629278-3rd-gen-box-first-gen-joestruck.jpg

And not to drive the point home more and more, but this is what a bed like mine would look like on your truck (2wd bed on 4wd truck)

98DE4869-17CA-4CEE-B814-FF47B99A40F0-14875-0000183B4919D920.jpg

Those Frankentrucks seal it! The only Toyota bed going on Patty is an 84-88; either 4wd or 2wd. Opening up the wheel wells won't be too much work... I mean for the body guys. I'll just have write a bigger check ;)

Those Frankentrucks seal it! The only Toyota bed going on Patty is an 84-88; either 4wd or 2wd. Opening up the wheel wells won't be too much work... I mean for the body guys. I'll just have write a bigger check ;)

If you can find a 2wd Xtra-Cab I've found that they have 4wd beds on them from the factory!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom