Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PRA= Parts Research Analyst

They are expediters. They grease the gears.

If you want these parts or any non-US sourced parts you need to figure out how to “talk” the Toyota parts language.

Or, as I stated above, you contact Stedman, pay him, and get your parts.

If you are crying about logistics costs, you are in the wrong game. :meh:

This is all “pay to play.” s*** or get off the pot.

Hmmm... maybe it's time for me to just go find a muffler shop and have them make me an exhaust?

Find an independent exhaust shop that does custom work for Hot Rods. Ask for 11 ga aluminized tube.

I was hoping they'd repop the early two-bolt flange downpipe, but doesn't look like it.

PRA= Parts Research Analyst

They are expediters. They grease the gears.

If you want these parts or any non-US sourced parts you need to figure out how to “talk” the Toyota parts language.

Or, as I stated above, you contact Stedman, pay him, and get your parts.

If you are crying about logistics costs, you are in the wrong game. :meh:

This is all “pay to play.” s*** or get off the pot.
I get it but there’s a point of ridiculousness. The cost of restoring the vehicle isn’t the problem; I just dropped $5k on body panels between CCOT and Real Steel. The problem is spending somewhere in the range of $2.5k for something that isn’t valued at 1/5 that and I could likely make for $300 or less in materials (which is what I’m likely to do at this point). I’m doing my best to be true to the originality; I’m fine with the cost to build, learn, experience and enjoy but I’m not stupid. $2.5k for a partial section of exhaust mated to a tractor engine is stupid

Maybe some of the parties that provided input for this program can help to send some feedback: There's insufficient dealership support and customers have to jump through hoops to buy the parts!

If this is going thru a third party that is charging $2.5K for section of FJ40 exhaust pipe this program isn't for 99.9% of the people on mud. I am well aware this is a pay to play hobby today but that ridiculous 😒.

Koyarisan just shared the latest batch of available items from the GR Heritage program. I recognize a few part numbers 😎

Maybe some of the parties that provided input for this program can help to send some feedback: There's insufficient dealership support and customers have to jump through hoops to buy the parts!

Guess they want to keep it a secret.

I did find Amayama has 17420-61060 in stock. Appears this is the same as17420-61070 except doesn't have a welded hanger. It's right around $160 depending on the exchange rate. Ordered a couple and got a message saying that they have temporarily suspended sea freight and can't fulfill the orfer. They haven't changed it to NLA like other parts that turned out they no longer have. So I'll keep trying.

I did find a picture I have of exhaust and brake junk pile with what appears to be the part with the major bend in it.
IMG_20201105_131855946.jpg

Will pull and next time I'm at that location and compare it to my 79.
20220724_112531.jpg
20220724_112307.jpg

Unfortunately a PO replaced the muffler/tailpipe with after market parts and cut the flange off the middle section otherwise it could be used as a pattern. Hoping once I get my aftermarket first piece in my hands will find it works on a LHD with power steering. Part came from Tasmania, a RHD market and may have been run differently. Hopefully between those and a NOS muffler/tailpipe will have what I need for a good muffler shop to use a pattern. Have no intention of spending thousands on what was probably five hundred dollars in parts originally.

Would still be nice if there was a way to figure out the mystery in the Heritage program. That is what is great about this forum, people sharing their knowledge with others.

Not my photos but it appears non-reman gear reduction starters have come available in Japan. Didn't see anything yet about this yet in the thread, forgive me if I’m late.

28100-60070

View attachment 3090508

View attachment 3090509
This part was never listed unavailable on Amayama, not sure if it was really available all that time or just no-one tried to order it. Considering the price it was listed and still is, the second option is possible... 913$.

what is different here , between the 28100-60070 you do show in the TECH. Photos above , and the 28100-60070-84 you do not show 🤔
-84 denotes remanufactured by ‘Toyota’. So it’s cores that are returned and refurbished and resold at a very reduced rate.

Did you just noticed this on amayama or do you know it was released thru the Heritage program? Personally not excited about a starter that remanufactured is a available for a fraction of the cost state side. I know I have at three of these used laying around.

-84 denotes remanufactured by ‘Toyota’. So it’s cores that are returned and refurbished and resold at a very reduced rate.

- i have studied this topic in great detail , so much so i have dis-assembled a 28100-60070-84 completely , down to it's bones ....

- i can say without a shadow of any doubt
100% of the internal components , including the STAR-DRIVE gear which is partially inside and out , are 100% NEW

in every way ......

- not a single internal part had any glimmer of being cleaned up , soda blasted , or re-finished at all .......

- the external
Solenoid is a 100% new part inside and out also ...

- the front section of the aluminum case is always a NEW part as well , because there are no signs of the OEM lock washers biting into the sand cast aluminum surface , the
HEX NUT and BOLT side that secure it to the bell housing , also , the bell housing mating face is always BRIGHT freshly machined aluminum ...

- so , that only leaves one single part that COULD be re-furbished , that rear main body sand cast aluminum housing itself ?

- the TECH. facts i spell out above are not simply my opinions , but based on pure objective evaluation , with a unique opportunity to see many of the -84 units coming

and going ........ lets just say a few times each week .....

- all the CORES i receive back , and im talking GEAR REDUCTION only here , vary wildly in condition , from original NON -84 ones installed at plant A-11 day one ,

and actual -84 units that have ended there service life cycle naturally , and died of old age , time and regular service use proudly ! :)

- however .......

- many come to me all F'd up and parts missing and beat up with a ball peen hammer and such , most common crap issue is a missing STAR DRIVE gear ?

- this puzzles me the most because has anyone here ever heard of a OEM TOYOTA Lands Cruiser Starter Star Drive Gear needing replacement or going bad ?

- not me , that's for sure ..🤔

- staying on topic here , take for example the 27700-54040-84 , the common widley use3d application late modle FJ40 and FJ55 and some random FJ60's also

it's a -84 Remanufactured TOYOTA GENUINE Part RIGHT ?

- i say NO-WAY-Jose , not a chance in Teq H#LL it is 🤣

- not one single part inside and out is refurbished or re-used in any way shape or form ....

- the RED and BLACK parts box it comes in , and the CHROME red and silver foil parts lable tag stickers both say made in JAPAN on them too

- lastly , and the most intriguing part of this topic at hand is BOTH sides of the parts box say : NO CORE REQUIRED ?

- if any one has any solid TECH to add to this conversation topic , don't be shy , bring it on and let's continue this relevent discussion here , becase it matters greatly

from my prospective anyway ........

- i have a concrete theory that has supporting fact-based TECH to back it up too , i will add below after some folks have a chance to chime in , especially

if anyone has actually purchased a
$800 + 28100-60070 as @mattressking , has posted above those totally awesome and NEW 2022 date code stamp TECH photos ...

it would be totally awesome to have a side by side comparison study right here in this thread where it matters most i think .........

those are my fact based :

DSCN9587.JPG

1660878913921.png

Last edited:
Guess they want to keep it a secret.

I did find Amayama has 17420-61060 in stock. Appears this is the same as17420-61070 except doesn't have a welded hanger. It's right around $160 depending on the exchange rate. Ordered a couple and got a message saying that they have temporarily suspended sea freight and can't fulfill the orfer. They haven't changed it to NLA like other parts that turned out they no longer have. So I'll keep trying.

I did find a picture I have of exhaust and brake junk pile with what appears to be the part with the major bend in it.
View attachment 3086477
Will pull and next time I'm at that location and compare it to my 79.
View attachment 3086481View attachment 3086482
Unfortunately a PO replaced the muffler/tailpipe with after market parts and cut the flange off the middle section otherwise it could be used as a pattern. Hoping once I get my aftermarket first piece in my hands will find it works on a LHD with power steering. Part came from Tasmania, a RHD market and may have been run differently. Hopefully between those and a NOS muffler/tailpipe will have what I need for a good muffler shop to use a pattern. Have no intention of spending thousands on what was probably five hundred dollars in parts originally.

Would still be nice if there was a way to figure out the mystery in the Heritage program. That is what is great about this forum, people sharing their knowledge with others.
If you’re not going to use that old cat in the first picture, you could cut a flange off of it and weld it on that pipe allowing you to go back to a OEM muffler. That’s what I did.

- i have studied this topic in great detail , so much so i have dis-assembled a 28100-60070-84 completely , down to it's bones ....

- i can say without a shadow of any doubt
100% of the internal components , including the STAR-DRIVE gear which is partially inside and out , are 100% NEW

in every way ......

- not a single internal part had any glimmer of being cleaned up , soda blasted , or re-finished at all .......

- the external
Solenoid is a 100% new part inside and out also ...

- the front section of the aluminum case is always a NEW part as well , because there are no signs of the OEM lock washers biting into the sand cast aluminum surface , the
HEX NUT and BOLT side that secure it to the bell housing , also , the bell housing mating face is always BRIGHT freshly machined aluminum ...

- so , that only leaves one single part that COULD be re-furbished , that rear main body sand cast aluminum housing itself ?

- the TECH. facts i spell out above are not simply my opinions , but based on pure objective evaluation , with a unique opportunity to see many of the -84 units coming

and going ........ lets just say a few times each week .....

- all the CORES i receive back , and im talking GEAR REDUCTION only here , vary wildly in condition , from original NON -84 ones installed at plant A-11 day one ,

and actual -84 units that have ended there service life cycle naturally , and died of old age , time and regular service use proudly ! :)

- however .......

- many come to me all F'd up and parts missing and beat up with a ball peen hammer and such , most common crap issue is a missing STAR DRIVE gear ?

- this puzzles me the most because has anyone here ever heard of a OEM TOYOTA Lands Cruiser Starter Star Drive Gear needing replacement or going bad ?

- not me , that's for sure ..🤔

- staying on topic here , take for example the 27700-54040-84 , the common widley use3d application late modle FJ40 and FJ55 and some random FJ60's also

it's a -84 Remanufactured TOYOTA GENUINE Part RIGHT ?

- i say NO-WAY-Jose , not a chance in Teq H#LL it is 🤣

- not one single part inside and out is refurbished or re-used in any way shape or form ....

- the RED and BLACK parts box it comes in , and the CHROME red and silver foil parts lable tag stickers both say made in JAPAN on them too

- lastly , and the most intriguing part of this topic at hand is BOTH sides of the parts box say : NO CORE REQUIRED ?

- if any one has any solid TECH to add to this conversation topic , don't be shy , bring it on and let's continue this relevent discussion here , becase it matters greatly

from my prospective anyway ........

- i have a concrete theory that has supporting fact-based TECH to back it up too , i will add below after some folks have a chance to chime in , especially

if anyone has actually purchased a
$800 + 28100-60070 as @mattressking , has posted above those totally awesome and NEW 2022 date code stamp TECH photos ...

it would be totally awesome to have a side by side comparison study right here in this thread where it matters most i think .........

those are my fact based :

View attachment 3090813

View attachment 3090814
That's great and all, but that is what remanufactured means. A core is taken and reassembled with new parts, so they reuse certain things and toss others that do not pass inspection then slap a new sticker on stating that it has been remanufactured. Toyota does this from a cost perspective, they wouldn't just sell a reman'd starter or alternator for 1/4 of the cost just for fun.

If you’re not going to use that old cat in the first picture, you could cut a flange off of it and weld it on that pipe allowing you to go back to a OEM muffler. That’s what I did.

That old CAT was removed over twenty-five years ago for a V8 conversion. I do know any history was a business doing the swap. Not sure if the conversion was on a 60 series or 40 series. Exhaust parts that were given to me included both. The CAT used was the same on both. I am keeping it as a possible spare for my 79. The muffler the PO installed in my 79 is longer and just a flange would not be enough. I already have section of OEM pipe with the correct flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom