Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This are not my personal pictures but show the 1/79 routing of the exhaust except for markets with a CAT.
View attachment 3066636View attachment 3066637
Those markets the exhaust still went out side the frame just went under the frame on the 79 and 80 models. 81-83 it was above the frame like the rest of the world except it has a small EGR pipe. 8/80 a heat shield was added on the left foot well in the cowl. The CAT makes the exhaust run hotter. This is why it was run under the frame in 79 and 80. 81 model Toyota added the heat shield and moved it above the frame like the rest of the world. When the exhaust was run under the frame it blocked the routing fornthe PTO winch driveshaft. Even after 8/80 when Toyota routed all exhaust above the frame they never offered a PTO winch option in the US. I have sourced a couple non US market 8/80+ PTOs and driveshafts. Personally perfer the exhaust routed outside the frame. There is no skid plate for it but is higher than the frame. Two track trails the tire tracks have better clearance the the center. There the skid plates are lower than the frame. Routing exhaust above the skid plate added heat to the cab and transmission and transfer case. Toyota never added any type of heat skids in that area.
My US spec 2/79 has the Catalytic converter heat shield mounting points. I thought that started in 1/79

Anyone have success in ordering exhaust or any other parts here in the US? None of the part numbers show up for me as available on parts.toyota.com

Still in exhaust limbo. I ordered the center pipe but getting nowhere. The parts guy at my local dealership is great but he’s getting the run around from the folks at the Heritage Program.

My US spec 2/79 has the Catalytic converter heat shield mounting points. I thought that started in 1/79

The heat shield is above the CAT. My 3/79 has it. The heat added 8/80 is in the foot rest of the cowl. That is when the US exhaust moved the frame. The hotter exhaust with CAT had a heat shield not used before 8/80. The running side the frame was universal on all FJ4X and HJ4X 1/79 0n. Not sure about the BJX4X. That run down the right side. The HJ and FJ shared same exhaust after the first section of pipe. Not sure if any heat shield were on the non CAT markets. My 79 has heat shield clamped to the pipe. My scrap pile has some pipes with the heat shield but never researched where there were from.

Still in exhaust limbo. I ordered the center pipe but getting nowhere. The parts guy at my local dealership is great but he’s getting the run around from the folks at the Heritage Program.

The pipe right off the exhaust manifold could argue the US version is NLA and would bolt right on. The second pipe would bypass the CAT and harder to justify. You could say would cut down to work but might not fly. Planning on a 2F and PTO winch in 73 and if available would but the two pieces of pipe to get it outside frame. Already removed the spare tank so mount the muffler tailpipe mounted there is not a issue. I have the heat shield for above the muffler already.

Last edited:

My recommendation is to contact someone in Japan where this program is really instituted well at the parts sales level.

I’d contact David Stedman: @Japan4X4

He’ll knock it out of the park for you.

Contacted my local store about two weeks ago and did it as well today and he has no idea how to get the exhaust pieces. Then told me that the heritage parts program was just a third party that warehouses certain items. I was hoping to get the front exhaust pipe as well 17401-61090.

Contacted my local store about two weeks ago and did it as well today and he has no idea how to get the exhaust pieces. Then told me that the heritage parts program was just a third party that warehouses certain items. I was hoping to get the front exhaust pipe as well 17401-61090.

Curious how you warehouse parts that are NLA? Someone has to be producing them. Seems someone posted getting 40 series tail light shields and a diff flange that were in the program. They were purchased thru a dealer.

Curious how you warehouse parts that are NLA? Someone has to be producing them. Seems someone posted getting 40 series tail light shields and a diff flange that were in the program. They were purchased thru a dealer.
That's what I told him but seemed like he wasn't really interested. Luckily there are 3 more dealers that are pretty close to me so I will keep trying.

Curious how you warehouse parts that are NLA? Someone has to be producing them. Seems someone posted getting 40 series tail light shields and a diff flange that were in the program. They were purchased thru a

I got the flange etc. for my 40 about 6 weeks ago. It was not via a dealer. In this thread @flx said Amayama had them and that is where I ordered the heritage program parts.

(Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyota-land-cruiser-heritage-parts-program-discussion.1248551/post-14444544)

Yes I ordered through Amayama directly from Japan.
Note that the parts I ordered were almost the first one released for the 40 in this program and they were not listed available in Japan immediately after they got listed on the GR website. So not surprised the last released parts like the exhaust are not yet available to order.

I just checked the 2 parts I ordered are still not listed available at TPD or my European equivalent so seems we are stuck with ordering from Japan...
That being said I'm starting to be a little fed up of Amayama... They deliver for sure, but let say they are very Japanese in their way to not handle anything out of standard process, even if it's their website or process that doesn't work.
So really looking for alternatives to order parts from Japan (even outside of GR parts it's not rare to find parts only available from Japan).

So really looking for alternatives to order parts from Japan (even outside of GR parts it's not rare to find parts only available from Japan).
My recommendation is to contact someone in Japan where this program is really instituted well at the parts sales level.

I’d contact David Stedman: @Japan4X4

He’ll knock it out of the park for you.
Onur offered his suggestion up thread. ☝️

Yeah, I'm wondering why people are making this is so difficult. This isn't rocket science.

Send David Stedman an email or call his US phone number, talk to a human, tell him what you want, he orders it, you pay and they ship to you, you receive a package, you open it and voila!

:rolleyes:

I may try him, particularly if I have other GR parts to order at some point. Thanks!

A website where you can directly order your parts also has its benefit. In my last order, beside the 2 light covers, I ordered 52 nuts, bolts, washers, springs, etc. at 1$ a piece, mostly 2 parts of each. I would not have dared asking a human to handle this mess.

Yes I ordered through Amayama directly from Japan.
Note that the parts I ordered were almost the first one released for the 40 in this program and they were not listed available in Japan immediately after they got listed on the GR website. So not surprised the last released parts like the exhaust are not yet available to order.

I just checked the 2 parts I ordered are still not listed available at TPD or my European equivalent so seems we are stuck with ordering from Japan...
That being said I'm starting to be a little fed up of Amayama... They deliver for sure, but let say they are very Japanese in their way to not handle anything out of standard process, even if it's their website or process that doesn't work.

Do you know these were added because of the Heritage program and weren't already available. Just checked and 17401-61090 is still not available.

Yeah, I'm wondering why people are making this is so difficult. This isn't rocket science.

Send David Stedman an email or call his US phone number, talk to a human, tell him what you want, he orders it, you pay and they ship to you, you receive a package, you open it and voila!

:rolleyes:

I haven't read thru this whole thread, is this information somewhere in here? This is the first I hear of this. What is David Stedman email?

I may try him, particularly if I have other GR parts to order at some point. Thanks!

A website where you can directly order your parts also has its benefit. In my last order, beside the 2 light covers, I ordered 52 nuts, bolts, washers, springs, etc. at 1$ a piece, mostly 2 parts of each. I would not have dared asking a human to handle this mess.

Peope in the business of selling parts will generally be very happy to sell you lots of parts

My business generally orders hundreds of part numbers a week (dozens daily) and the human on the other end of our orders thanks us for the commission :lol:

Trading emails with Dave Stedman. Great guy. The center pipe that I want for the 79+ is available in Japan. Shipping is the issue. I did a FedEx quote and it was 4x the cost of the part. Not heavy, just large. I keep following up with the local dealer. Poor guy is getting the run around from the folks at the Heritage program. He keeps referring to them as PRA, I don’t speak dealership so maybe someone here knows what that means? Still in limbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom