Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much can the FJ40 tow? Right now we have the CCOT receiver plate that says that it can tow 3000 lbs. However, the way this truck is built it seems like it can tow more (especially with suspension upgrades).

In addition to what it can tow, are there better receiver plates and/or hitches for this truck? We're trying to make sure that it will be able to pull the boat we have in mind (less than 4000 lbs).

It would be a terrible rig to tow with. I imagine it can tow a decent amount but you wouldn't want to, the Short wheel base will be the bad part. Is this going to be on interstates or just a couple miles up back roads? How fast do you want to go? What motor do you have? Do you have disk brakes?

I use to tow my 18 foot ranger bass boat with my 75 FJ40 back in that day and stoping was a nightmare with drum breaks all the way around. The longer wheel base of the boat trailer would try to jack knife the FJ in panic stop situations. It only weighed 2800 lbs.

I don't tow anything over 10 foot long and 1000 lbs with the 78 FJ40 with disc all the way around. Towing isn't the problem. Stoping is.

i always towed everything with an fj40 but always on backroads .as mentioned stopping is the problem unless you have trailer brakes.if i towed a 6x6 i could only go about 50 so back roads were not a problem.try towing somewhere its not crowded and see how everything works it definatly not for everyone.i no longer use a 40 for towing found a truck is much easier .
08-31-2010 08;40;15AM.jpg

Well since we will only be driving less than a mile to the ramp stopping is only important a couple of times. So as long as the rigging can take it we can be careful when stopping. We also have front disc brakes.

i have found the biggest problem to be other people on the road, take your time and you will be fine.

I've towed more... And known others who've even towed another 40 behind theirs on a trailer :eek: and not just for a few miles.

You should be fine with a good hitch and trailer brakes.:D

The fun part about towing a boat with a 40 is launching it on a steep ramp. Those fronts will lock up and it'll try to pull you into the water.
I used to tow this boat all over the place. I'm not saying it was a good idea, but no issues except for over heating the 2F a couple of times. This pic is from '97. Still have the Cruiser and the boat.

2009-02-23-2120-05.jpg

Awesome! I knew the truck could take it as long as you drive according to the situation. Plus come summertime I'm hoping OME suspension will be on so that should boost towing. Now we just have to make sure brakes are perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom