TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best I can figure out is a valve broke somewhere in the ice maker and just let water pour out.
I purposely ordered a fridge without an ice/water dispenser because (A-) they always break first, and (B-) they take up valuable door space. Sadly, there was no option to delete the ice maker. I connected it since the line was already there and the damn thing died a few weeks out of warranty. They wanted $300+ to replace it. F that. One day I'll yank all the ice maker guts out and reclaim a little more freezer room.

So far I've had a Samsung dishwasher ($$$ out of $$$$) s*** the bed just out of warranty (tiny plastic piece not available except as part of a $400 replacement assembly) and that Samsung fridge do the same. The fridge still works fine but the DW was toast. Replaced it on Xmas eve with the cheapest Kitchenaid in stock (less than the cost of the Samsung replacement part) and it's still working great 3-4 years later. Turns out that it's almost identical inside and out to my mom's 15 year old GE Profile that was top of the line back then.

We bought a Samsung gas range, sight unseen, online in December because it was the only thing we could get within 5 weeks. Works great now. Waiting to see what happens once the warranty is done. We definitely won't be keeping it if we do the kitchen remodel before then.

Final thought: Most modern appliances suck for longevity. My theory is that manufacturer greed is solely to blame.

My high dollar Samsung DW broke just outside of the warranty. Circuit board resistor fried. I bought a new resistor for $3 (with $18 shipping, of course) and soldered it in. Worked well for 2 years. Then the start capacitor went out. Got a $30 replacement from Grainger and hooked it up. Worked fine for another couple of years. Then the damn thing just died. I couldn’t revive it. They don’t make ‘em like they used to. That’s for sure.

Yesterday was fun.
Get up, make coffee. Go to my home office. 5 minutes later I realize I must have left the tap on or something as I could hear one running after the current song ended on spotify.

Go to the kitchen.... water all over the floor. Leaking from the fridge. its coming from the freezer, fridge and the water connection in the back. Pull the fridge out..... turn the valve off at the wall. Push fridge to the sliding glass door in the dining room to get its leaking ass outside so I can start the clean up. Realize its too wide for the sliding door. Pushing it back through the dining room into the living room and out the front door. Now I have water everywhere. Wet dry vacuum and lots of towels later all the water is up off the wood floor.
Start taking everything out of the fridge and freezer and get the water out of the inside.
Best I can figure out is a valve broke somewhere in the ice maker and just let water pour out. Fridge is now back in the kitchen with water not hooked up and its doing fine.
Glad I was home.... in the space of a few minutes there was water everywhere. Could have been a whole lot worse.

tenor.gif

After my 3 hour detour from work. Everything is going fine after putting it back. So I do a load of dishes in the dishwasher. Come out later for lunch........ water leaking from that friggen thing....... LMAO. All I could do was laugh. That one was just a clogged drain and an easy fix though. Glad I had the wet dry vac and towels out already.
You must have angered the water witches...

Been dealing with a small, but consistent leak from our water dispenser in our Whirlpool fridge for the last 7 months. It started under warranty and they sent a tech out about 6 times during the first 4 months of the issue to replace various lines, valves, etc...no go.

Finally convinced Whirlpool to replace the whole thing and we still don't have a new fridge. Last 2 they tried to deliver had dents/scratches and then have to go thru the whole reorder process/delays, etc. Super frustrating.

I've had a Kenmore "Elite" Oasis Washer and Dryer set for probably about 14 years. In that time, I've replaced the control boards on both, the suspension springs and tub bearings on the washer and the drive belt and rollers on the dryer. On the one hand, that feels like a good bit of work to have to do on a washer and dryer when we don't have kids, so it's not like they're running every day. On the other hand......at least I was able to replace that stuff fairly easily and MUCH more inexpensively than paying someone else to do it or buying a new washer and dryer and I learned how to do all of it thanks to YouTube.

I've had a Kenmore "Elite" Oasis Washer and Dryer set for probably about 14 years. In that time, I've replaced the control boards on both, the suspension springs and tub bearings on the washer and the drive belt and rollers on the dryer. On the one hand, that feels like a good bit of work to have to do on a washer and dryer when we don't have kids, so it's not like they're running every day. On the other hand......at least I was able to replace that stuff fairly easily and MUCH more inexpensively than paying someone else to do it or buying a new washer and dryer and I learned how to do all of it thanks to YouTube.

No buddy you have pets, it's way worse than kids 😆

No buddy you have pets, it's way worse than kids 😆

Ha! I've gotta say.....the amount of pet hair I pull out of the dryer lint screen is pretty impressive, but at least the pets don't wear clothes that I have to wash.

Common courtesy. When you are checking out at a register and there are people behind you and you wait until everything is bagged and the total is flashing on the screen before you even to begin to get your wallet out. It is absolutely unbelievable how clueless folks are. Imagine if as they are bagging the groceries or whatever, you already had your card or cash out and ready to go. F'n magic right there!

Next up is people that do not use cruiser control or move out of the left lane. I guess being in eastern NC really can drive you batty.

Or the folks in the 100k self driving rocket ships that still have no turn signals and get auto accelerated from a stoplight by fully loaded semi trucks.

Or how about NCDOT working at the absolute busiest time of day or busiest day of the week, when they have data that specifically shows how much traffic will be coming through. And there are 24 hours in a day. Work at night. Once again MAGIC. And the 10 people guys standing around watching the 1 guy work.

Back to the regular rants.

Wooo, Much better.

Common courtesy. When you are checking out at a register and there are people behind you and you wait until everything is bagged and the total is flashing on the screen before you even to begin to get your wallet out. It is absolutely unbelievable how clueless folks are. Imagine if as they are bagging the groceries or whatever, you already had your card or cash out and ready to go. F'n magic right there!

Next up is people that do not use cruiser control or move out of the left lane. I guess being in eastern NC really can drive you batty.

Or the folks in the 100k self driving rocket ships that still have no turn signals and get auto accelerated from a stoplight by fully loaded semi trucks.

Or how about NCDOT working at the absolute busiest time of day or busiest day of the week, when they have data that specifically shows how much traffic will be coming through. And there are 24 hours in a day. Work at night. Once again MAGIC. And the 10 people guys standing around watching the 1 guy work.

Back to the regular rants.

Wooo, Much better.

I worked at a health food store as a clerk for several years, so you can imagine the sorts of entitled behavior I've witnessed from customers. I don't disagree with you. That said - how much time do you think nitpicky grandpa has truly added to the transaction by waiting to whip his wallet out?

Also I (used to, will again soon) drive i-26 for work, where they are widening the highway. Oh my god. So tired. I'm going to have to fix the ac in the vehicles this year if I want to survive it.

I worked at a health food store as a clerk for several years, so you can imagine the sorts of entitled behavior I've witnessed from customers. I don't disagree with you. That said - how much time do you think nitpicky grandpa has truly added to the transaction by waiting to whip his wallet out?
The amount time over 3 and 4 people is crazy. This is one of the main reasons I shop online.

On the subject of retail checkout, kind of an anti-rant:

The Sam's Club app let's you check yourself out, scanning the products in your cart with your phone's camera. No more standing in line behind 12 Home-Depot-sized carts loaded up with 400 lbs of goods. I check myself out as I'm shopping and just wheel my cart straight to the exit. They scan your onscreen QR receipt at the exit and double check like they normally do.

Also, the Chick-fil-A app is the frak'n bomb. Why everyone doesn't use it, that goes through the drive-through, amazes me. It's faster, you can customize your order/condiments without explaining everything to a teenager. It remembers what you last ordered and you can save them in your own favorites. The process is touchless - you can link it to paypal or a CC so you never have to swipe a card or touch a PIN pad.

That right there is what can happen when somebody stops bitching and starts doing! Technology to the rescue...but one day we’ll probably forget how to interact with other humans. I know a few of us who are looking forward to that day.

@JohnVee so true.

One idea I always think about when a cashier spins an item 10 different ways to find the bar code is, why not have the bar code hidden on every side or hidden in the label. Problem solved and time saved.

Also ready for the scanner that can read every item in the cart without removal. Walk up and through a metal detector type device with the cart and it scans and calculates all items without removing from the cart. Integrate with store app and payment method and email receipt people would be flying out of the store.

I will still wait for some people to get their credit cards out but that would be cool. ;<)

Last edited:
That right there is what can happen when somebody stops bitching and starts doing! Technology to the rescue...but one day we’ll probably forget how to interact with other humans. I know a few of us who are looking forward to that day.
Oh, don't worry, you still get a "my pleasure!" at the end of the transaction ;)

I mean I personally took this COVID time to memorize which businesses allow online ordering and pickup. I'm just done peopling unless necessary.

I mean I personally took this COVID time to memorize which businesses allow online ordering and pickup. I'm just done peopling unless necessary.
Korrect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom