Builds Tokyo to Wisconsin - JDM HDJ81 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's correct - backing plates are in good condition thankfully, as they're NLA to my understanding.

The 93+ backing plates are nla and hard to find used. I decided to retain my OEM brakes. I don't swap rear rotors often for it to matter and pads are the same as the usdm.

The 93+ backing plates are nla and hard to find used. I decided to retain my OEM brakes. I don't swap rear rotors often for it to matter and pads are the same as the usdm.
just bought some from partsouq recently

Subscribed!
Great looking cruiser. I thought mine was low KM's (206k when I bought it), but yours is just a baby!
Do you have any documentation from Japan to confirm the mileage is legit?

Why did you remove the rear spoiler? I've been looking for one ;) Do you still have it?
Cheers!

Subscribed!
Great looking cruiser. I thought mine was low KM's (206k when I bought it), but yours is just a baby!

Why did you remove the rear spoiler? I've been looking for one ;) Do you still have it?
Cheers!
Thank you!

I used a broker based in Japan to pull the original auction report and history. While the information was limited, he was able to determine no accidents, no mileage anomalies, and that the hood was resprayed the factory color.

I removed the spoiler simply in favor of a cleaner look. That, and I'll probably add a roof rack relatively soon. I don't have it anymore, but do have the sunroof wind deflector if you're interested.

Subscribed!

Cheers!
Mine was 188k when it came over.
I have maintenance records from Japan to back it up.

Thank you!

I used a broker based in Japan to pull the original auction report and history. While the information was limited, he was able to determine no accidents, no mileage anomalies, and that the hood was resprayed the factory color.

I removed the spoiler simply in favor of a cleaner look. That, and I'll probably add a roof rack relatively soon. I don't have it anymore, but do have the sunroof wind deflector if you're interested.

Good stuff!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really just looking for the rear spoiler to compliment the rest of my funny JDM plastic thingies.

I've thought of trying to seek out the Japanese documents, but mine did come with a fair bit of paperwork. It even had the last shaken inspection sticker in an envelope with the inspection report from 2019.

Cheers!

93+ backing plates?
Yes...
Toyota 4778160100 COVER SUB-ASSY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT RH
Toyota 4778260100 COVER SUB-ASSY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT LH

Partsouq Brakes.jpg

OEM timing belt and tensioner replaced as preventative maintenance just after a trip to an OHV park here in WI.

First time going to a dedicated off road park, but it was a great experience. Plenty of light, moderate, and difficult challenges to try out.

While still learning its capabilities, I'm continuously impressed with the 80.

20221005_201722.jpg

No major plans in the works at the moment while the 80 is hibernating for winter, but I did receive some Aussie goodies recently.

If you're looking at organization, I'm really digging these Crashpad canvas/vinyl "pods." Materials and stitching are excellent, beer for scale.

20230212_130323.jpg

Great truck! Subscribed!

OP,
Nice rig, where is that off road park in WI? I checked out Rough Trax in the UK, they have everything! I am heading to the UK in early June to see family with my kids, I may have to stop in and see what their show room looks like. Watched for updates.
‘Spring and summer are around the corner.

No major plans in the works at the moment while the 80 is hibernating for winter, but I did receive some Aussie goodies recently.

If you're looking at organization, I'm really digging these Crashpad canvas/vinyl "pods." Materials and stitching are excellent, beer for scale.

View attachment 3252419
original poster, if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay originally for the HDJ81 in Tokyo to purchase? and what did you pay to import?

OP,
Nice rig, where is that off road park in WI? I checked out Rough Trax in the UK, they have everything! I am heading to the UK in early June to see family with my kids, I may have to stop in and see what their show room looks like. Watched for updates.
‘Spring and summer are around the corner.

Thank you! If you do check them out, feel free to do a follow up post here.

Tigerton, WI is the OHV off road park I was referring to.

original poster, if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay originally for the HDJ81 in Tokyo to purchase? and what did you pay to import?

The vehicle was imported by the previous owner out of Massachusetts and I purchased it from him; it was just a title transfer at that point. All in, I paid just north of $30k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom