Tokyo to Wisconsin - JDM HDJ81 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welcome!

This thread will be an ongoing journey in my ownership experience. It will encompass some usual (and perhaps unusual) maintenance, as well as modifications, any mishaps, adventures, and learning about my 80 Series - a 1995 JDM HDJ81 factory turbodiesel, specifically the 1HD-FT engine mated with an A442F transmission and HF2A transfer case. In the unlikely event of a future sale, it will also provide context and history for a new potential owner.

Originally imported by a Toyota/Lexus mechanic in MA, at the time of purchasing the vehicle, July of 2021, it had approximately 119,000 original kilometers (or approximately 74,000 miles) with only minor surface rust and some service history/mods from the PO. No body damage other than a minor dent in the tailgate.

The intention of this purchase was to have a long-term, dedicated platform for wheeling, camping, and general exploring. It's also a way for me to increase my mechanical knowledge and learn more about how to properly modify a 4x4 to be a jack of all trades. While this vehicle is intended to be used, it won't be abused - garage-kept, never driven in the winter when road salt is prevalent, properly maintained, and quality modifications throughout.

Of course, this thread is useless without photos. How it came to the US in its original form:

HDJ81-0061157_1_vga.jpg
HDJ81-0061157_2_vga.jpg
HDJ81-0061157_8_vga.jpg
HDJ81-0061157_4_vga.jpg
HDJ81-0061157_6_vga.jpg

Notable Current Maintenance and Modification List - Updated 9.17.2023:

Modifications:
- Dissent Off Road high clearance front bumper with bull bar.
- Disc Brake Australia (DBA) front and rear disc brake rotors and pads.
- Dobinsons C59-176 front linear rate coils - rated at 3" lift with 120lbs constant load.
- Dobinsons C59-167 rear linear rate coils w/ new OEM rubber isolators - rated at 3" lift with 120lbs constant load.
- Dobinsons IMS front and rear shocks.
- Dobinsons radius arm 2.5 degree castor correction rubber bushings.
- DIY 3/4" plywood sleeping platform and storage compartments w/ rear seat delete.
- Escape Gear front seat covers.
- Fender flare delete.
- Harbor Freight Apex Badlands. 12,000 lb. winch w/synthetic line.
- Land Cruiser Phil/Land Cruiser Products transfer case shifter extension.
- Legendex 3 inch turbo-back exhaust. 409 grade stainless tube with heat-treated coating, 304 grade stainless muffler, resonator, and dump pipe.
- Nitto Ridge Grapplers 315/75 r16, load range E (x5), 73lbs each.
- Spoiler delete (top and rear).
- Stealth Custom Series (SCS) F5 wheels (x5) - 16x8, 0 offset, 4.5 backspace, 18lbs 13oz each.
- STEDI Type X Sport spot lights.
- Trail Tailor soft shackle frame recovery points (x2).
- Trekboxx Richlite tailgate cover.
- Unique Mats all weather floor mats.
- Wits End rear hatch gas struts.
- YodaTEQ left rear antenna mount.

Maintenance baseline completed as of 6.28.22 | 125,000KM:
- New OEM brake calipers, front and rear.
- New OEM brake lines - all four calipers and frame to axle.
- New OEM engine air filter.
- New OEM engine oil filter w/ 2.5 gallons Shell Rotella 10W-30.
- New OEM engine fuel filter.
- New OEM timing belt and tensioner.
- Power steering fluid flushed and replaced.
- Coolant flushed and replaced.
- Brake fluid flushed and replaced.
- Automatic transmission fluid flushed and replaced (Dextron 2).
- Rear diff oil replaced (LSD SAE 75W-110).
- Front diff oil replaced (SAE 75W-90).
- Transfer case oil replaced (SAE 75W-90).
- Drive shaft u joints and slip yokes greased with Lucas Red N Tacky.

Last edited:
How it arrived from the PO, with the following maintenance/modifications:

*Trail Gear Rock Defense Front Bumper (w/ stinger)
*3D Printed Toyota Emblem
*Turbo Grille Emblem
*Hella Fog Lights + LED Tail Lights + Clear Signal Lights
*35x12.5 Tires Nexen Roadian MTX Tires
*17x9 ET-12 Level 8 wheels in Gunmetal (w/ Custom Toyota Decals)
*Dobinsons 30MM spacer lift
*Bilstein 5100s
*Oil Change 3 Gals Rotella Oil + OEM Toyota filter
*OEM Valve Cover Gasket
*OEM Turbo Pipe Gaskets
*OEM Fuel Filter
*Diesel 911 Fuel Treatment + K100 Additive
*OEM Drive Belts
*New Front Brake Pads + Hardware

20210701_205308.jpg
20210702_175521.jpg
DSCF1728 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Ok, wow. Yeah, was gonna say that RocketRabbit kit may not play well on the trail. lol

Nice rig.👍

Very nice! Mine had the same JB Offroad grille on it, funny coincidence. :p

Oddly enough I hand no clue about the origins of the grille, just assumed it was some aftermarket part from Japan.

I think it is... a second look shows that yours has more slats than mine did, but i'm nearly positive it's from the same company.

Replaced the worn OEM springs and Bilstein 5100s (installed by PO) with a Dobinsons kit purchased and recommended through @crikeymike:

- IMS shocks (pure beef, great quality).
- Linear rate coils, rated for 3 inches of lift with 110-120lbs constant load. Ultimately aiming for 2.5 with what I intend to add and settling.
- 2.5 degree caster correction bushings.
- Rear brake bias/proportioning valve.

Had an alignment performed as well.

20220326_133103.jpg

That said, the PO had 30mm Dobinsons spacers/spring isolators installed and the shop I chose to do the suspension work recommended keeping them in, as there weren't any isolators otherwise. Therefore, I'm currently at roughly 3.5 inches of lift all around, more than desired. I haven't experienced any odd vibrations or steering issues at any speed during the ~150 miles driven this weekend, it actually feels dialed in. However, it does have me wanting to either find isolators, remove the 30mm entirely, or swap for something like a 10mm; the last thing I want is premature driveline wear.

In any case, extended brake lines and diff breathers are on the list, possibly extended sway bar brackets and bump stops as well.

Replaced the worn OEM springs and Bilstein 5100s (installed by PO) with a Dobinsons kit purchased and recommended through @crikeymike:

- IMS shocks (pure beef, great quality).
- Linear rate coils, rated for 3 inches of lift with 110-120lbs constant load. Ultimately aiming for 2.5 with what I intend to add and settling.
- 2.5 degree caster correction bushings.
- Rear brake bias/proportioning valve.

Had an alignment performed as well.

View attachment 2964466

That said, the PO had 30mm Dobinsons spacers/spring isolators installed and the shop I chose to do the suspension work recommended keeping them in, as there weren't any isolators otherwise. Therefore, I'm currently at roughly 3.5 inches of lift all around, more than desired. I haven't experienced any odd vibrations or steering issues at any speed during the ~150 miles driven this weekend, it actually feels dialed in. However, it does have me wanting to either find isolators, remove the 30mm entirely, or swap for something like a 10mm; the last thing I want is premature driveline wear.

In any case, extended brake lines and diff breathers are on the list, possibly extended sway bar brackets and bump stops as well.
Wow, that looks awesome. I always loved that 2 tone color combination and the wheels go with it so well!!

Bummer about the spacers. I'd suggest some proper isolators and to pull them out. The u-joints in the driveline might start to show their age very quickly here soon with all that extra lift.

Wow, that looks awesome. I always loved that 2 tone color combination and the wheels go with it so well!!

Bummer about the spacers. I'd suggest some proper isolators and to pull them out. The u-joints in the driveline might start to show their age very quickly here soon with all that extra lift.

Agreed - you've been great to work with by the way, for both the suspension and the ARB bumper.

I'll be contacting Cruiser Outfitters this morning to see if they have proper isolators - may I ask if you have a suggestion of where to locate these otherwise?

Edit: Cruiser Outfitters was able to confirm the part number for a pair of rear spring isolators, 48257-60020; the front springs never had isolators. Ordered through McGeorge Toyota and should have them by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Agreed - you've been great to work with by the way, for both the suspension and the ARB bumper.

I'll be contacting Cruiser Outfitters this morning to see if they have proper isolators - may I ask if you have a suggestion of where to locate these otherwise?

Edit: Cruiser Outfitters was able to confirm the part number for a pair of rear spring isolators, 48257-60020; the front springs never had isolators. Ordered through McGeorge Toyota and should have them by the end of the week.
I'd have called Cruiser Outfitters too!!

How it arrived from the PO, with the following maintenance/modifications:

*Trail Gear Rock Defense Front Bumper (w/ stinger)
*3D Printed Toyota Emblem
*Turbo Grille Emblem
*Hella Fog Lights + LED Tail Lights + Clear Signal Lights
*35x12.5 Tires Nexen Roadian MTX Tires
*17x9 ET-12 Level 8 wheels in Gunmetal (w/ Custom Toyota Decals)
*Dobinsons 30MM spacer lift
*Bilstein 5100s
*Oil Change 3 Gals Rotella Oil + OEM Toyota filter
*OEM Valve Cover Gasket
*OEM Turbo Pipe Gaskets
*OEM Fuel Filter
*Diesel 911 Fuel Treatment + K100 Additive
*OEM Drive Belts
*New Front Brake Pads + Hardware

View attachment 2960701View attachment 2960703View attachment 2960705

I have that same front bumper without the stinger.

Great looking rig. I was just looking at diesel 80 LC on japan-partner last night. It is crazy how much the value of these things has gone up.

Nice truck! That body kit is simultaneously ridiculous and awesome. I could see that 80 picking up some serious tail cruising "the strip" in 1998 :flipoff2:

Nice truck! That body kit is simultaneously ridiculous and awesome. I could see that 80 picking up some serious tail cruising "the strip" in 1998 :flipoff2:
I would've been seven years old at the time!

Spacers are being removed by mid-next week, should have a total of 2.5 inches of lift when all is said and done.

Wisconsin!!!! Watch out for the salt. What region of WI are you? Nice national forests in the north....Chequamegon
Agreed! Beautiful country in this state.

I'm in the SE area - the 80 is almost entirely rust-free and is garage-kept in the winter months to avoid the road salt. My Tacoma bears the brunt of it, though it's ceramic-coated and the undercarriage is hit with Wool Wax.

It feels great to have a proper wheel and tire set up on the 80.

315/75 r16 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Stealth Custom Series F5s - 16x8, 0 offset, 4.5 backspace, hub centric, no spacers, 18lbs 13oz. I also had Colby Ultimate valves installed, reducing the possibility of ripping out a valve.

Total wheel/tire weight comes to about 91lbs. The FT diesel seems to love it, holding steady at about 2300-2400 rpms at 75mph on stock 4.11 gears. Handling and tracking are both spot on.

20220402_143300.jpg

Last edited:
Unsure. I'll post pics of every identifying piece on mine in my build thread this week and tag you. :) (I'll be selling mine, wasn't really my "thing")

April was a busy month!

Basic maintenance complete with all fluids/filters freshened up and the driveshafts/slip yokes greased; trying out Lucas Red N Tacky, as I've heard great things.

Spacers on the suspension removed and new OEM isolators placed in the rear; ride quality is amazing on and off road.

DSCF4065-2-1.jpg

Several pieces from Adventure Trail Gear in Canada added - excellent hand made quality. Exterior storage on the tire for recovery gear/fluids and a secure place to mount my Halotron fire extinguisher from H3R Performance.

20220410_171514.jpg
20220410_173407.jpg
20220410_173418.jpg

Lastly, added front soft shackle recovery points below the ARB bumper from @TRAIL TAILOR

20220423_185441.jpg

Last edited:
Glamour shot from a recent camping trip.

20220425_171403.jpg

The 80 is awaiting some Aussie goods that should be delivered by early June - a new Legendex 3" turbo-back stainless steel exhaust and DBA T3 brake rotors/pads all around. Both sets of modifications will serve as true upgrades and maintenance, as the OEM components are due to be replaced.

Glamour shot from a recent camping trip.

View attachment 3005403

The 80 is awaiting some Aussie goods that should be delivered by early June - a new Legendex 3" turbo-back stainless steel exhaust and DBA T3 brake rotors/pads all around. Both sets of modifications will serve as true upgrades and maintenance, as the OEM components are due to be replaced.

The legendex is such an easy install.

I was told to replace my exhaust hangers. I had one bad. I replaced all 3 anyways with new. Got them through partsouq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom