Builds Tokyo to Wisconsin - JDM HDJ81 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glamour shot from a recent camping trip.

View attachment 3005403

The 80 is awaiting some Aussie goods that should be delivered by early June - a new Legendex 3" turbo-back stainless steel exhaust and DBA T3 brake rotors/pads all around. Both sets of modifications will serve as true upgrades and maintenance, as the OEM components are due to be replaced.
Who'd you get the brakes through?

Who'd you get the brakes through?
I ordered via Slee Offroad.

Called to confirm stock, which everything is in stock except the front DBA pads. Currently looking at another distributor for front DBA pads, though I've signed up for Slee's notifications as they're expecting a shipment this summer.

I ordered via Slee Offroad.

Called to confirm stock, which everything is in stock except the front DBA pads. Currently looking at another distributor for front DBA pads, though I've signed up for Slee's notificat

I forgot yours was newer. He doesn't have anything for me

A few more things being done to the Cruiser recently.

Escape Gear seat covers are on and fantastic. Ordering through Equipt was painless, total time to get them delivered was about six weeks:

20220608_201542.jpg

Also, the rear brake calipers failed after a recent trip; pistons seized and boots torn, likely due to age. While the front calipers seem fine, it's about time for a fresh upgrade all around - new OEM front and rear calipers with 3 coats of VHT caliper paint to compliment new DBA rotors, pads, and OEM brake lines (standard caliper lines, extended frame lines to accommodate up to 4 inches of lift).

20220626_164129.jpg

Recently explored the sand dunes of Silver Lake, Michigan.

Nearly 950km round trip and on the dunes - the 80 performed flawlessly. Averaged about 18-19mpg while lifted on 35s, not bad!

Very pleased with the Dobinsons shocks and springs, as well as the brake system overhaul, to include:

Rear: DBA rotors and pads, new OEM calipers, new OEM axle to caliper lines, and new OEM extended axle line.

Front: New OEM calipers, new OEM axle to caliper lines, and new OEM extended axle line (no ABS). DBA rotors and pads will be part of the front axle rebuild later on.

20220716_092413.jpg

Also, one other note - this 80 obviously has the rear OEM tire carrier. There's lots of concern in various threads about it, especially with increased weight.

Over the past year of ownership, so far there hasn't been a single issue. The spare tire and tire bag w/recovery gear totals about 110lbs, for reference.

Granted this could change over time. However, the design has four areas of reinforcement and seems incredibly stout.

Also, one other note - this 80 obviously has the rear OEM tire carrier. There's lots of concern in various threads about it, especially with increased weight.

Over the past year of ownership, so far there hasn't been a single issue. The spare tire and tire bag w/recovery gear totals about 110lbs, for reference.

Granted this could change over time. However, the design has four areas of reinforcement and seems incredibly stout.

Several of us in my club (coastal cruisers) and circle of friends have been running 35s on the stock carrier for a long time, have not heard of a single issue yet.

Nice truck!

I'm seeing mid to high 17s on my commute and high 18s on the highway. I'm thoroughly impressed. I expected 16s when I bought it.

Wanted to try an overseas distributor I've heard good things about, Rough Trax 4x4 in the UK. They did not disappoint!

First, while the digital manuals and FSMs are good, I wanted a hard copy on hand too - not the easiest to come by:

20220801_184311.jpg

From there, the equivalent of "while I was in there" happened. Ordered up a whole bunch of spare parts and planned replacements, to include new OEM upper and lower rad hoses, spare fuses, Gates' belts, a rear Hella wiper blade, diff plugs, and some nifty magnetic oil plugs (in purple, no less).

20220801_184324.jpg
20220801_184626.jpg

Fair prices with the current exchange rate and the package arrived at my doorstep one week from ordering.

Cheers!

Wanted to try an overseas distributor I've heard good things about, Rough Trax 4x4 in the UK. They did not disappoint!

First, while the digital manuals and FSMs are good, I wanted a hard copy on hand too - not the easiest to come by:

View attachment 3075377

From there, the equivalent of "while I was in there" happened. Ordered up a whole bunch of spare parts and planned replacements, to include new OEM upper and lower rad hoses, spare fuses, Gates' belts, a rear Hella wiper blade, diff plugs, and some nifty magnetic oil plugs (in purple, no less).

View attachment 3075378View attachment 3075379

Fair prices with the current exchange rate and the package arrived at my doorstep one week from ordering.

Cheers!

You ordered fuses from the UK?

I hope they were cheaper than just going to napa

They were!

The other reason was to see how well the distributor packaged things and what their turnaround time is. Reason being, there are other more expensive replacement items I'm interested in.

Last edited:
New timing belt kit and water pump will be installed soon, all OEM and/or Aisin components. Creeping up to 130,000km.

Meanwhile, I've been gradually testing out the suspension/wheel/tire combination and couldn't be happier. Seems to be a great blend of on road comfort and off road capability.

20220908_200427.jpg

Your 35s with Dobinson 3" IMS setup looks awesome. Glad to hear your FT pulls well at 75mph too as you said on the first page. Your HDJ81 is looking excellent. 😍

I kind of want to step up to 35s at some point from my 33s. I did notice an acceleration difference though from stock 31s to 33s, and I do hit 100% throttle on mountain passes around here to maintain 75mph. So maybe I'll time that with some power upgrades. Did you consider going down in tire size?

Your 35s with Dobinson 3" IMS setup looks awesome. Glad to hear your FT pulls well at 75mph too as you said on the first page. Your HDJ81 is looking excellent. 😍

I kind of want to step up to 35s at some point from my 33s. I did notice an acceleration difference though from stock 31s to 33s, and I do hit 100% throttle on mountain passes around here to maintain 75mph. So maybe I'll time that with some power upgrades. Did you consider going down in tire size?

Appreciate the kind words!

I really have no negatives to say about the current set up. Everything has settled nicely too, sitting at about 2.25" of lift in the front and 2.75" in the rear. This will drop down a bit further yet, once sliders and a winch are added down the road, which is what I was aiming for.

As for the 35s, I'm glad I went with this size for my use. So far, it's been a good happy medium between long stretches of road and ground clearance off road. Plus, when aired down below 20 PSI, they really soak up vibrations and hook up nicely on rocks/sand/etc.

That said, if this was a daily or strictly for pavement, 35s are overkill - a skinny 33, like a 255/85 r16, or a 32 would be far better, in my opinion.

Appreciate the kind words!

I really have no negatives to say about the current set up. Everything has settled nicely too, sitting at about 2.25" of lift in the front and 2.75" in the rear. This will drop down a bit further yet, once sliders and a winch are added down the road, which is what I was aiming for.

As for the 35s, I'm glad I went with this size for my use. So far, it's been a good happy medium between long stretches of road and ground clearance off road. Plus, when aired down below 20 PSI, they really soak up vibrations and hook up nicely on rocks/sand/etc.

That said, if this was a daily or strictly for pavement, 35s are overkill - a skinny 33, like a 255/85 r16, or a 32 would be far better, in my opinion.

I daily mine on 35's because I don't want to swap tires when I leave pavement.

Recently explored the sand dunes of Silver Lake, Michigan.

Nearly 950km round trip and on the dunes - the 80 performed flawlessly. Averaged about 18-19mpg while lifted on 35s, not bad!

Very pleased with the Dobinsons shocks and springs, as well as the brake system overhaul, to include:

Rear: DBA rotors and pads, new OEM calipers, new OEM axle to caliper lines, and new OEM extended axle line.

Front: New OEM calipers, new OEM axle to caliper lines, and new OEM extended axle line (no ABS). DBA rotors and pads will be part of the front axle rebuild later on.

View attachment 3067324
You're going with the upsized rotors, calipers, pads and backing plates from the 93+ years right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom