To line....or not to line...that is my question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! Just bought a 91 a couple weeks ago. Saw a few threads on using Al's Liner on the exterior. Got super excited about it and found a Groupon (still available by the way) for Al's Liner. Picked up 3 orders in battleship grey as well as some flattener to give it a true matte finish. The exterior of my truck is in decent shape with the major problems being flaked off clear coat, some really small surface rust spots on the tailgate and hood and one pretty major rust spot on the passenger side door which will need attention during the prep stage.

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet. It's a very permanent move.

So I have a question to those who have lined the exterior of their LC...do you regret it at all and if so why?

I also have a question for the rest of you....would an LC which was lined with Al's be seen as a positive in your eyes if you went to go look at one for purchase? Do you think it affects resale and if so is it a positive or a negative?

Thanks all!

Yes it affects the resale value, negatively. Only someone looking for a dedicated off road rig would look positively at a lined rig. To maximize the resale value you should repaint it.

Any modification like that is going to make it much harder sell. Common mods like a 2" lift, or aftermarket bumpers are pretty safe for resale value. When you do more less common mods like bedliner exterior, far fewer people are going to find that appealing. Will you get your money back in resale, it's very possible, but will take a very very long time to find that buyer.

I have had many compliments on my driveway, roll on, Monstaliner job from other wheelers and strangers in store parking lots alike. Bedliner definitely stands up to rocks and trees many times better than paint. I agree, if you don't plan to wheel it hard, and you are vacillating over how long you may have your 80, or you bought it hoping to sell for a profit at some point, or you enjoy the maintenance that goes along with a pretty paint job, or you enjoy worrying yourself sick that you might scratch the paint beyond a buffing out, then you don't want to apply a quality bedliner to the exterior of your 80 even though it is, by far, the cheapest, lowest maintenance, longest lasting protective coating you can apply.

I have had many compliments on my driveway, roll on, Monstaliner job from other wheelers and strangers in store parking lots alike. Bedliner definitely stands up to rocks and trees many times better than paint. I agree, if you don't plan to wheel it hard, and you are vacillating over how long you may have your 80, or you bought it hoping to sell for a profit at some point, or you enjoy the maintenance that goes along with a pretty paint job, or you enjoy worrying yourself sick that you might scratch the paint beyond a buffing out, then you don't want to apply a quality bedliner to the exterior of your 80 even though it is, by far, the cheapest, lowest maintenance, longest lasting protective coating you can apply.

Totally agree with everything you said. I do not plan to wheel it hard, however, do plan on taking out with the family on occasional trails here in CO and Moab. New paint job is crazy expensive and I'm not interested in putting those funds into the paint. If I do sell it down the raod it will be 3-5 years away.

Totally agree with everything you said. I do not plan to wheel it hard, however, do plan on taking out with the family on occasional trails here in CO and Moab. New paint job is crazy expensive and I'm not interested in putting those funds into the paint. If I do sell it down the raod it will be 3-5 years away.
You will get a full range of opinions here on mud. For some, a swimming pool reduces the attractiveness of a home and others are shopping for a huge, money sucking pool before anything else.

As long as you don't liner it a crazy color, it could be a selling point to a prospective buyer who is looking for a solid 80 to do a serious build on for boonie bashing. There are as many ways to look at this as there are people. I say, liner your pig and never wash or wax it again.

I went back and forth on a full-on paintjob vs bedliner/monstaliner for a long time and eventually settled on lining the truck. I just couldn't fathom paying $$$ for a quality paintjob that I might scratch or ding up on the next trail. The resale value probably will take a hit if I sell, but the practicality/usability for my time owning the truck was well worth the decision. $700 = durable, semi-matte paint, easy to touch up.

Here's a few photos of the paint, the monstaliner thread has plenty of other sweet rigs too.
Monstaliner Bedliner

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet. It's a very permanent move.

Not really, I had Al's liner on my rear bumper originally. When it was time to strip it down for more welding most of it just peeled right off. Some of the areas had rust where moisture had obviously crept under it.

I repainted mine with an Omni single-stage paint. It took about a gallon of epoxy primer and a gallon of paint, and that includes some respraying. Total materials cost (paint, primers, body filter, abrasives) was probably around $1k. I think the paint and epoxy primer (one gallon each, with activator) was $367, but that might have included reducer and miscellaneous other stuff.

Single stage paint is great for Land Cruisers. It's not as glossy as base/clear, so minor defects are somewhat concealed, and if you do any damage you can just scuff and shoot a spot repair without blending issues.

A flaking paint job would impact resale as well. Not sure if you could recoup your investment in an expensive paint job anyway. I say line it and enjoy! If it is done well, I think a future overland/off-road type buyer would appreciate the approach. My Al's is almost six years old and is still awesome.
DSCN5230.jpg

If the truck in the foreground had used bedliner, would probably still be around :)

A flaking paint job would impact resale as well. Not sure if you could recoup your investment in an expensive paint job anyway. I say line it and enjoy! If it is done well, I think a future overland/off-road type buyer would appreciate the approach. My Al's is almost six years old and is still awesome.
View attachment 1579633

If the truck in the foreground had used bedliner, would probably still be around :)
is that big bend

Sorry, I was referring to his current paint condition, not a new paint job.
As to photo location, that is on the Oregon/Idaho border near Jordan Valley.

View attachment 1579633

FYI - Your Dingo thread was a huge inspiration for going this route. Any tips/tricks/thing you wish you would have done differently that wasn't covered in the thread?

Two things stand out: Mix small batches and don't keep using them once they start to kick off/congeal; Be patient for the liner to completely cure before reinstalling parts.
Other than that, it was no more difficult than painting inside your house.

Two things stand out: Mix small batches and don't keep using them once they start to kick off/congeal; Be patient for the liner to completely cure before reinstalling parts.
Other than that, it was no more difficult than painting inside your house.

Thanks! I plan on spraying mine (I want a smoother finish) so I think I'll be good as long as I spray quicker than the 20 min pot time. What are your thoughts on when to peel the tape off? Should I peel it off while still wet or let it dry? Regular automotive tape or that wire stuff? How long did you wait until installing parts? I think I'll be getting a snorkel sometime soon...should I do that and drill all the holes before lining or would it be ok to do it after?

Thanks!

But you live where stuff like that, is the norm so your opinion doesn't county :flipoff2:

Thanks! I plan on spraying mine (I want a smoother finish) so I think I'll be good as long as I spray quicker than the 20 min pot time. What are your thoughts on when to peel the tape off? Should I peel it off while still wet or let it dry? Regular automotive tape or that wire stuff? How long did you wait until installing parts? I think I'll be getting a snorkel sometime soon...should I do that and drill all the holes before lining or would it be ok to do it after?

Thanks!

If I remember, I peeled the tape shortly after my second coat, before it was cured.
I used the green 3M auto masking tape and blue 3m tape.
I would wait 24 hours after the last coat to install parts-but I think it is temperature dependent might take a bit longer?
I installed the snorkel after the bed liner, before reinstalling all the front end stuff.
Good luck!

But you live where stuff like that, is the norm so your opinion doesn't county :flipoff2:
Wheeling hard is the norm here! I’m sure you could find some rocks and trees to run into in oregon if you ever locate the exit from the mall parking lot. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom