Tires decision time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bunch of us on the 200-series boards have great success with the Wildpeaks. Anecdotal, but in my research, a tire insider said that the Falken was very competitive and perhaps even better in some metrics to the K02s. If they're comparable, at 25-35% less price, it's an easy decision. Use the savings to get a matching spare.

I only got 18,000 miles out of my last K02's. I'm running Duratracs now.

Jim

Do you tow with your tires at 24psi? Never rotate? Never aligned? Only half kidding - 'cause that's way (!) off from my and others' experiences. Typically, you hear around 40,000-55,000 for a set of properly maintained KO2s.

These are HEAVY, full-time four-wheel-drive trucks. You have GOT to keep them aligned, balanced and rotated every 5,000 miles. Discount Tire includes lifetime rotating and balancing as part of the deal. I'm sure lots of other retailers do this too.

There's a reason every off-road tire test conducted by every magazine in the past 30 years has featured the BFG All Terrains.

I have the Falken Wildpeak ATs on mine, 265/65 18, AHC equipped. Very happy with them, quiet on the road.

Last edited:
The right pressure, rotation, alignment, etc. I was surprised and disappointed in how long they lasted. Do a google search and you'll find a ton of guys with the same experience.

Jim

Do you tow with your tires at 24psi? Never rotate? Never aligned? Only half kidding - 'cause that's way (!) off from my and others' experiences. Typically, you hear around 40,000-55,000 for a set of properly maintained KO2s.

These are HEAVY, full-time four-wheel-drive trucks. You have GOT to keep them aligned, balanced and rotated every 5,000 miles. Discount Tire includes lifetime rotating and balancing as part of the deal. I'm sure lots of other retailers do this too.

There's a reason every off-road tire test conducted by every magazine in the past 30 years has featured the BFG All Terrains.

KO2s are worth it!

Most of my exploring is dirt roads and very little rocky trails, so my next set I may do the General X3’s or the Cooper STT Pro. If I decide to do AT I will prob go with the Cooper ST MAXX. I mostly do forest service roads in search of ghost towns.

ST Maxxs are a much better choice than the BFG ATs if you drive in the wet like we do in the PNW. They clear water like nothing else short of a MT, but are as quiet as the BFG ATs on road. If you like the KO2 tread style, I would also suggest the General AT2 as they are very similar, but much cheaper. My bro in law had the on his Land Rover (silly rabbit) and they were amazing in snow, great on road, decent in dirt and lasted a very long time.

There is no way you should go through KO2s in 18,000 miles on a 100. I put 30,000 on KOs and sold them for $500 with 60-70% left when I went to the ST Maxxs. I can’t imagine they’ve screwed with the tread compound that much for the KO2?

Last edited:
For Road Tires, go with Michelin LTX M/S

I had the Falkon Rocky Mountain AT's on my pathfinder. Hands down the worst tires I have ever owned on a vehicle. Bougth a set of KO2's for the land cruiser 3 months before the Falkons and they still have years left. The falkans shoudl have been replaced months ago.
Not only did they wear out super fast they sucked in the rain.

Hodl off for Presidents day sales. American Tire/Discount tire was 904 for 4 and by opening a credit card I got intrest free for a year and a 160.00 gift card. Making my 285/75/16 KO2's 744 installed.

Seeing how OP stated mainly road driving: I look at the tread and try to picture how water is handled at speed on asphalt.

In my simplistic non-quantified mind, tires with the least path of hydraulic resistance gets my vote.

KO2 has no clear path for water to get out from under the treat....very tortuous.

ST Maxxs have 2 relatively clear groves that allow water to escape forward and back as tire roles.

I used to run GEOLANDAR A/Ts on my J*&p wagoneer. Those have 4 grooves.....Reason stopped using (besides vehicle upgrade) was discount tire would not rotate after x years...BS in my mind as no industry standard was produced. They worked well otherwise.

I also suspect that the same tread pattern water factor also plays into highway noise generation. No basis for this...of course.

I went from LTXs to KO2s. I ran em for 12,000 miles and ended up selling them. I didn't think they were worth the cost. I ran em offroad quite a bit and they were good, but they weren't worth the cost.

I replaced with Hankook ATMs and am super happy.

I went from LTXs to KO2s. I ran em for 12,000 miles and ended up selling them. I didn't think they were worth the cost. I ran em offroad quite a bit and they were good, but they weren't worth the cost.

I replaced with Hankook ATMs and am super happy.

I gotta say I’m in the same boat. I’ve had the Bfg AT KO and I was not blown away based on cost vs performance. The Kenda Klever I run now are $300 cheaper and have performed beyond expectations.

I won’t buy them again because of road noise but if I had a dedicated trail rig I’d run them all day. I’ll go AT next set.

Everyone quotes the BFG stats about winning Baja a bunch of times and how awesome the tires are.

Thats great, but i'm not running the Baja and I don't need tires than can when the vast majority of my driving is back and forth to work.

Reactions: JPS
I'm running Kumho RoadVenture AT51 LT275/70R18 LRE. I've got 20k on a set of 5 and I LOVE these tires. Just drove home in a snowstorm, and I was in the snowpacked left lane almost the entire 25 mile drive home. I got passed by 1 vehicle, a semi, and I passed too many to count. I do NOT drive like a hotrod, but I was very comfortable I had all the traction I needed and was in complete control.

They are a little noisy on pavement, but have been wearing very well. I've towed 5,000 lbs 75+mph for 200 miles, numerous times. I am getting ready to buy another set, same size, for my wife's 2018 JL Wrangler.

Seriously thanks to everyone for the input. So it sounds like the ko2’s aren’t loved in the rain...but then again the original ko wasn’t either. My concern is that guys aren’t getting the stellar mileage like so many did on the original ko.

Not too much bad feedback on the falken at3ws and I’ll be somewhere around 600 bucks. Lastly, lots of good things to be said about the ST Maxx but they also fall into that price rage similar to the ko2S

Anyone got a 2003-2007 with these tire pics on thhe 18” wheel. 275/70/18 or 285/65/18 sizes preferred

I've had the Falkens on my Cruiser since November 2016. Did have one tire split a sidewall after hitting a giant pothole at 50mph in the snow, but other than that I'm quite happy with them. Dunno how many miles on them, at least 10k.

The BFG is a good choice especially after the revision, but comparatively I'd rather save $, have 5 matching tires AND not have the same shoes as 7/10 rigs next to me.

Seriously thanks to everyone for the input. So it sounds like the ko2’s aren’t loved in the rain...but then again the original ko wasn’t either. My concern is that guys aren’t getting the stellar mileage like so many did on the original ko.

Not too much bad feedback on the falken at3ws and I’ll be somewhere around 600 bucks. Lastly, lots of good things to be said about the ST Maxx but they also fall into that price rage similar to the ko2S

Anyone got a 2003-2007 with these tire pics on thhe 18” wheel. 275/70/18 or 285/65/18 sizes preferred

I've posted it before, but here's a shot with steelies in the 275/70-18 tire size.
Untitled by Calvin Kim, on Flickr

Another vote for the Cooper STMaxx. I had the Falken AT3W's for about two weeks when a friend of mine offered me his 07 LX470 wheels and (2 month old) STMaxx tires in return for a buff and polish job on his new 200 Series. Love these tires! They do well in the slick stuff, and on road dynamics are composed. They're definitely not a dedicated snow tire, but they do rather well on their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom