Tires decision time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone quotes the BFG stats about winning Baja a bunch of times and how awesome the tires are.

Thats great, but i'm not running the Baja and I don't need tires than can when the vast majority of my driving is back and forth to work.

I agree 100% with the first part. BFG won their reputation when Ivan Stewart was kicking ass all over the desert. I ran BFGs on my mini trucks back in high school in the early 80s. Now, I won’t pay the premium for an MT that absolutely sucks on road.

To your second point, my “commute” is from the 110 miles from the ocean up to a ski hill in the PNW. I buy tires to handle the worst likely scenario, not to handle 90% of regular duties and then leave me hanging when I really need them. To me, it’s worth a bit more road noise to know that my vehicle can deal with any situation. That’s why my “street” tire is the ST Maxx. Phenomenal in the wet (picture 6” deep flooded roads on blind corners at 60mph, but I know where 90% of the water sits so I don’t get caught out too often), great in snow (studdable) and twice as long wearing as Toyo’s crappy AT2.

Pic with the Coopers (although in 255/85-16, not the requested 18s).

BF06F524-CF91-48D6-A04E-A05D0CCD31EC.jpeg

How do you like the 255/85/16? I was contemplating going with this size.

Seriously thanks to everyone for the input. So it sounds like the ko2’s aren’t loved in the rain...but then again the original ko wasn’t either. My concern is that guys aren’t getting the stellar mileage like so many did on the original ko.

Not too much bad feedback on the falken at3ws and I’ll be somewhere around 600 bucks. Lastly, lots of good things to be said about the ST Maxx but they also fall into that price rage similar to the ko2S

Anyone got a 2003-2007 with these tire pics on thhe 18” wheel. 275/70/18 or 285/65/18 sizes preferred
I've put 40k miles and two HIH trips on a set of KO2s in the last 18 months and they barely show any wear. I think there were some bad castings when they changed over to the new design a few years ago but it was quickly fixed. They are made in the US as well.

How do you like the 255/85/16? I was contemplating going with this size.

I’ve run 305s, 285s and now 255s on this one. I went with 255s to see if there was any benefit to going skinny. So far I’d have to say there is a tiny improvement in braking and acceleration, but the skinnier tire seems to follow road imperfections a bit more. 285 is probably a “better” overall size, but with my 1.25” spacers I actually had a bit of rub with them. There is none with the 255s. I also think the 255s would look goofy without spacers as they would be tucked way in.

I've put 40k miles and two HIH trips on a set of KO2s in the last 18 months and they barely show any wear. I think there were some bad castings when they changed over to the new design a few years ago but it was quickly fixed. They are made in the US as well.

The only two flats we had at HIH this past summer were both KO2s.

Toyo AT2 came with the car when I bought it.
Very quiet on the highway until you go over 120/kh you start to notice the noise.
Took it on EVERY North American terrain you can think of!
Only struggled on deep mud on a hill, but still went up!

I would buy the cheaper of either Toyo AT2 or BFG KO2

I would buy the cheaper of either Toyo AT2 or BFG KO2

Or, you could just buy the ST Maxx which is cheaper than both, AND better!

Lot of love comin in for the ST Maxx. They must be nice!​

What about the Yokohama G015? They are great on the road, dry and wet, plus they are snowflake rated. Reviews are positive and they are reasonably priced. They don't look as aggressive as the K02, but they look pretty good especially in LT form.

Here is a review. Field Tested: Yokohama Geolandar AT G015

It’s fun to buy tires - both performance and style come into play. They can make a real difference in driving feel.

My brother in law has those r/t’s for his Jeep. They are beefy tires and they ride really nice on pavement. Can’t imagine them being anything but good on trail and what not. I think I’m gonna roll with the falkens. Price point, everyone says they’re quiet, deep tread, good channels for rain water displacement in the handful of time it rains in SoCal and the sidewalls look pretty aggressive.

Reactions: JPS
I have had both in E rated form. I had KO2s on a truck ran them off road a ton and they lasted a long time with no issues. My local tire guy talked me into the AT3s on the cruiser. The cost savings hooked me. I have only had them 4 mos but think they are great. While actual long term use will prove there value the design looks to be just as good as the KO2s, road noise is about the same, they both track good, and cost is way better on the AT3s. So for now I am sticking with the falkens.

Another vote for the Toyo Open Country ATIIs. Most of my driving is on-road as well and they're pretty quiet but I'm also very happy with how they perform in the wet/snow. Pictured here in 285/60/18 and love the way they look.

20150922_143917_zpsadrgaj60.jpg

20150922_132825_zpskprhdyqr.jpg

20150922_132539_zpsadalbd8n.jpg

Another vote for the Toyo Open Country ATIIs. Most of my driving is on-road as well and they're pretty quiet but I'm also very happy with how they perform in the wet/snow. Pictured here in 285/60/18 and love the way they look.

They fit without issue, stock 100?

20150922_143917_zpsadrgaj60.jpg

20150922_132825_zpskprhdyqr.jpg

20150922_132539_zpsadalbd8n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom