1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires decision time

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Pucker5, Feb 4, 2018.

1. joseywales

joseywales

I’m in Canada. In the most expensive part... Vancouver. You just have to shop around.

2. Tareq

Tareq

Nah, I will stick to Toyo AT2, if I change I will go to Toyo MT since they are better suited for Canadian terrain.
    btw, I am ending my trip in Vancouver rather than going back to Toronto, so I might see u on the trails there ;)

3. joseywales

joseywales

Toyo MT:$405, Toyo AT:$321, ST Maxx:$338. All for 285/75-16. Pick your poison;)

I love the Toyo MT, and the local rep owes me a favor. I called him before buying the Coopers but he was away. Next time I may go back to the MTs if I’m doing less highway miles.

PM when you hit Van. We can debate tires much better with a beverage in hand!

Tareq likes this.
  4. Noah Randall

Noah Randall

Vote here for the KO2's. I got mine at Discount(America's) Tire here in Atlanta. They price matched Costco on a set of 4 who had them for $196 a tire. Had them on my '16 4runner for 22k before and like them even more on the cruiser. I think the extra weight of the 100 on an E tire makes them ride a little better than they did on the 4R.

IMG_6089.jpg IMG_6090.jpg

LTrain0800 likes this.
  5. BillZ260

BillZ260

Media:
    I am currently running 285/70/17 KO2s, They are awesome on the street and DRY off-roading, but when things get wet, they get slippery. I just ordered a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers a tad taller, 285/75/17.

6. ad27326

ad27326

Albums:
    Just ordered the Faulkens, should be installed tomorrow! Pics will follow.... $742..installed OTD!

JPS and TexasCharley like this.
  7. TexasCharley

TexasCharley SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Dilly dilly! Coops for me forever more. Will never go back.

8. TexasCharley

TexasCharley SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Same here.

9. ad27326

ad27326

Albums:
    If money wasn't a factor, I would definitely get the ST Maxx, as I had them on a 07 4runner, they rode better and performed better in snow and dry conditions than the KO2, IMO. But, for the price point and with good reviews, I will give the Faulkens a try!!

TexasCharley likes this.
  10. mattafact

mattafact

Albums:
    My Falken AT3Ws are made in Thailand. They'v been great tires so far. I'll likely get them again when I move up to 285/75/18s.

11. TexasD90

TexasD90 SILVER Star

The thing with tires is everyone loves whatever they just spent $1000 on. I own an off-road shop and deal in tires constantly. I have my personal opinions too! Duratracks are the loudest crossover tire out there. KO2s are I little inconsistent but usually a great option. Cooper seems to be the most consistent of the big names. Cooper is made by Mastercraft. You can usually buy Mastercraft cheaper. The CXT is the same tire as the ST MAXX. I am running the CXT on all my personal trucks right now. They are formed with a chip resistant rubber compound. We do thousands of miles annually on gravel and rock roads. The compound is holding up better than anything else I’ve tried to date. I’m no expert but between myself and my customers I’ve been around most tires that are available in the market. My list goes like this:
    1 - Mastercraft
    2 - Cooper
    3 - BFG

JUST MY $.02

UltraFJ40 and larryt like this.
  12. flintknapper

flintknapper

The construction and specs would appear to be the same, but there are minor differences in the tread pattern (based on pics I see online)?

Good information...nonetheless. Thanks.

cooper ST.jpg

Cooper_Mastercraft CXT.png

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    bucfl likes this.
  13. bucfl

bucfl

That’s awesome! I love options! I couldn’t justify $900 plus on name brand tires so I went with Kenda Klever. Kenda is known in speed sports mainly.

But there $600 MT has been so great. I rotate every 4K miles and are wearing perfect. Unfortunately Kenda does not make an AT in the size I’ll go next so I’ll be looking for another option.

I like the tread pattern of that Mastercraft.

14. Dparo

Dparo SILVER Star

So I am buying tires soon. I have a set of 18x9 wheels I am going to use. Most of my use will be overlanding and specifically will be in the search of ghost towns so much will be dirt two track. I don’t have a desire for rock crawling or highly technical trails. Since this is not a daily driver I am leaning towards the General X3 in 275/70-18 size, but they also have a true 33x12.5 available. Any thoughts on pros or cons between the two? Slee suggested a size of 285/65-18 iirc but the General is not available in that size.

My backup choices would be the Cooper STT Pro, then followed by their ST MAXX if I decided to go AT. I really am leaning strong towards the X3 though.

Is it just a personal preference between the taller, skinnier 275/70 and the slightly shorter but wider 33x12.5? Where does that 285/65-18 fit in for performance between the other two?

15. Dozer18

Dozer18 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    For what it’s worth, I just had to purchase new shoes for my 100. I run BFG KO2s in 33x12.5R15s on my FJ62, and I have been nothing but happy with them. Low road noise, great traction, great wear - total package.

However, as I was researching tires for the 100, this thread and others caused me to give a good, long look at the Cooper STT MAXX. No question that they are high quality, and easy to see that there’s a lot of love for them on this forum - says a lot, and I trust the collective wisdom. No one here makes arbitrary decisions on important kit for their Cruisers.

When the rubber hit the road, I went with what I know. KO2s in 275/70R18s on Method 305 NVs with a +25 offset. Proven setup run by other Mudders and I look forward to getting them on this week.

That said, excellent options abound for every budget and practical need, from the Falkens to the Mastercrafts to the STTs and KO2s. You can easily over-research this and second-guess yourself to death. Set the budget, consult the forum (check), read a few reviews, pull the trigger, and don’t look back. Tires are not a permanent addition, though can be a costly misstep. If you’ve taken the time to read all of this post and the three-plus pages before it, you’ve done your due diligence to mitigate the risk. Enjoy whatever moves you!