Timing concern after timing belt!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

Does anyone else have a crank pulley that doesn’t line up exact even though the other 3 marks are lined up? (Oil pump dot and both cams)

I checked and rechecked before pulling the pin.

Rotated the motor a ton by hand and the 3 marks still line up but the pulley doesn’t show 0 on the outside 🤔🤔
Help!!

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg

IMG_6971.jpeg

The last picture is the hard marks behind the crank pulley right (on the oil pump)? If so I am pretty sure you are all set since that is the timing mark not the lines on the plastic cover on the front.

Edit:
Check out this post from @2001LC:

You should be all set.

Last edited:
The last picture is the hard marks behind the crank pulley right (on the oil pump)? If so I am pretty sure you are all set since that is the timing mark not the lines on the plastic cover on the front.

Edit:
Check out this post from @2001LC:

You should be all set.
Ok! I Was completely baffled for a couple hours 😬 thank you!!

Ok! I Was completely baffled for a couple hours 😬 thank you!!
Yea doing a timing belt is always a bit nerve racking. If I remember correctly I believe the plastic cover markings are to help align everything for removing the belt so it doesn't jump. Then you adjust all the markings to the actual spots when you install the new belt/reinstall the old belt.

The dimple on oil pump to crank can be seen misleading on the angle you look. The way to see it correctly is to get your eye right in front of the marks, but not possible to get the head there, so use a mirror. Looking at an angle "feels" like aligned but it is not if you use a mirror to see it.

The dimple on oil pump to crank can be seen misleading on the angle you look. The way to see it correctly is to get your eye right in front of the marks, but not possible to get the head there, so use a mirror. Looking at an angle "feels" like aligned but it is not if you use a mirror to see it.
It would be microscopic though! I’d still be in the same tooth id think! It’s such a tiny dimple. But I was to the left of it a tiny bit and so we’re my cam markers if you see the pics..
Thanks!

Looks timed! You've not fully centered, but all the same at about 0.1 degree BTDC. But this could just be camera angle. Regardless you look fine.

This is why I do not use the plastic cover marks. Plastic cover shifts, shrinks and swells making a dead-on mark unreliable. Hard marks on metal are the most reliable.

Last edited:
Looks timed! You've not fully centered, but all the same at about 0.1 degree BTDC. But this could just be camera angle. Regardlees you look fine.

This is why I do not use the plastic cover marks. Plastic cover shifts, skinks and swells making a dead-on mark unreliable. Hard marks on metal are the most reliable.
You rock

Another reason not to use the harmonic balancers' marks is that the inner and outer parts are held together with a rubber layer. So the timing marks on the outer metal part can shift with respect to the key slot on the inner metal part. Probably not very common with a 4.7, but slippage does happen with harmonic balancers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom