Timing belt replacement guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of changing out my timing belt. I already have ordered the Aisin Kit with the cam and crankshaft oil seals and also a new thermostat and thermostat gasket. I have been watching Otramm’s YouTube Video and what all to take out for the timing belt change. Is there a step by step guide anywhere as it is very difficult to see everything he is taking out.

I did my first v8 T belt and it was a success so it is doable. Get oem oil seals. Aisin kit is what I used. How good is the radiator? If it is bad or old replace it along with oem radiator hoses
If alternator is oem, replace the brushes while there.

I am in the process of changing out my timing belt. I already have ordered the Aisin Kit with the cam and crankshaft oil seals and also a new thermostat and thermostat gasket. I have been watching Otramm’s YouTube Video and what all to take out for the timing belt change. Is there a step by step guide anywhere as it is very difficult to see everything he is taking out.

There’s a very detailed step by step in the repair manual: aka FSM. It also includes the necessary tourqe values for the hardware you’ll be removing and reinstalling.

While youre in there, consider replacing alternator brushes if its the original alternator and replacing the accessory belt tensioner & pulley.

There is at least one detailed thread here. Look in the sticky threads, or try searching from google (I've had a hard time searching the site lately).

It'll make a LOT more sense as you take things apart. Even for some of the stuff that you can't see, @OTRAMM describes it really well. Just pay attention, lay things out in a way that makes sense to you, and you'll sail right through the job. Arrows on the belt point to the front of the truck, not at timing marks.

i Had my heater tees replaced at the same time. One was fine the other was totally brittle and fell apart. I have 170k on the truck.

There’s a very detailed step by step in the repair manual: aka FSM. It also includes the necessary tourqe values for the hardware you’ll be removing and reinstalling.

While youre in there, consider replacing alternator brushes if its the original alternator and replacing the accessory belt tensioner & pulley.

Thanks for the info. The alternator was replaced back in December.

I change out the water pump, is that in the kit?
I also change the radiator hoses and the serpentine belt and as mentioned the "T'"s

I change out the water pump, is that in the kit?
I also change the radiator hoses and the serpentine belt and as mentioned the "T'"s
Yes the Aisin kit comes with the water pump. My heater t’s were done by the PO back in June of 2018.

This is the clearest guide that I found on the net for setting the timing marks:

Buy the Lisle Toyota/Lexus crank holding tool. It's about $65, you'll likely only ever use it once, but that and a long handle for your big breaker bar will make removing the crank bolt a breeze. Use a steering wheel puller or pulley remover to yank the harmonic balancer.

Make note of which bolts come out of what holes when you remove the water pump and fan bracket. They are not all the same, and have to go back in the same places. Also, be careful witht the o-ring on the water pump. Use a little smear of white lithium grease or similar non-dinosaur grease to make sure it seats right (not axle grease!)

Good that you bought a new crankshaft oil seal. This should not be considered optional. Pull the old one carefully with a seal puller. To set the new seal straight, use a piece of 1.5" pvc coupler and a pvc cap. Put a hole in the pvc cap and use the crank bolt to drive the seal in straight. Make a match mark with a Sharpy on the crank end so you can put the crank back to the right spot if it moves at all when you do this. If it does move, page I linked to above will show you how to re-time it, it's not a big deal if it moves.

Last edited:
I did a second set of timing belt videos while i had an engine out. These are easier to see everything in.

Otramm, thanks so much for taking the time to make those videos. They make a scary job seem very doable by the average joe. I'll be tackling my timing belt in a few weeks with your videos leading me through it!

Thank you guys for all of the replies. I really appreciate all of the guidance and help. Thanks Otramm for posting this video. I will check this one out.

Hey Mongoose I still don't know. I checked my records and it was completed 11/2017 at a Toyota/Lexus shop in Roswell and there is less than 50k on the LX since then. I am not sure if the quality of the belt made the difference or what caused it.

Hey Mongoose I still don't know. I checked my records and it was completed 11/2017 at a Toyota/Lexus shop in Roswell and there is less than 50k on the LX since then. I am not sure if the quality of the belt made the difference or what caused it.

Did your belt fail or come apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom