Timing belt miles vs age (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I understand the typical service schedule to replace TB is about 100K. And from searching I do see some talk about age as well. But not sure how many years would be recommended to change. I guess storage condition would factor in.
My new to me '99 LC 100 has a bit over 100k miles. 113k I believe. I found Toyota Service records showing the TB has been replaced at least twice.
I say 'I believe' because I also see a service in 2005 at 60K miles to replace DRIVE BELT? Is this something else? I know Timing Belt and Serpentine Belt. I don't know what DRIVE BELT would be. ???

Anyway,
So I see a TB and Water Pump replacement in 2008 at 81,400 miles. And a TB replacement in 2015 at 101,287 miles. I believe the truck is currently at about 113k or 115k miles today. But it's 8 yrs since last known replacement.
And looks like the dealer was replacing these at about 7 to 8 yrs regardless of mileage. Is that overkill or should I be looking at an inspection/replacement before I consider taking this on any long road trips? Probably will be taking it on a 1,600 mile trip sometime next year.
Other than any long trip once or twice a year, it will see low miles put on it the rest of the time. And it has and will be garage kept.

Thanks for any input

90k/8y is the service interval for the t-belt, personally the only time ive seen the v8 t-belt break is when another component fails like the water pump or an idler. i would change it and assess the other components while the belt was off, but i think that is a repair that you could put off for a little while.

as for the d-belt i always recommended relacing it when the t-belt was getting done unless i could see that it was recently replaced in the history because at that point the only cost is the belt itself there shouldnt be any labor with replacing it.

90k/8y is the service interval for the t-belt, personally the only time ive seen the v8 t-belt break is when another component fails like the water pump or an idler. i would change it and assess the other components while the belt was off, but i think that is a repair that you could put off for a little while.

as for the d-belt i always recommended relacing it when the t-belt was getting done unless i could see that it was recently replaced in the history because at that point the only cost is the belt itself there shouldnt be any labor with replacing it.
Thank you. So is the d-belt the serpentine?

Yes

If the belt is OEM or Mitsuboshi purchased from a repulted seller, I'd say you can do 100K miles and 10 years easily. Im am on the 13th year at 50K miles on the 4Runner (non inteference engine)

If you have a non-OEM belt, I'd say stick to 60K and 5 years: I had a Gates belt on my Corolla/Prizm and had ton of cracks at 50K miles/7 years.

On a note: My Prizm/Corolla had the original OEM belt at 175 K miles and some decent cracks after 15 years.

If the belt is OEM or Mitsuboshi purchased from a repulted seller, I'd say you can do 100K miles and 10 years easily. Im am on the 13th year at 50K miles on the 4Runner (non inteference engine)

If you have a non-OEM belt, I'd say stick to 60K and 5 years: I had a Gates belt on my Corolla/Prizm and had ton of cracks at 50K miles/7 years.

On a note: My Prizm/Corolla had the original OEM belt at 175 K miles and some decent cracks after 15 years.

Some of that is probably a function of local climate.

Bake it in texas heat or middle eastern desert for 5 years and it would look very different than one that encountered same use;/time in a northern climate with cold winter/moderate summers

When in doubt replace it.....its cheap insurance

OEM belts can handle any condition while non-OEM depends on the climate.
4Runner got the belt in Northern Neveda and living it's live in West TX, same for my Prizm, all Northern NV and now in West TX.

What is the average cost for Tbelt replacement?

Oem parts
And
Labor

depends on how much is changed, lots of parts can add to the cost.

My 2002 LX470 has only 68K miles and is on the original Timing Belt.
That's 21 years old. Always Garaged and runs great.
I'm keeping watch on any strange noise from the front of the Engine and then get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom