Thud from driveshaft when shifting into D -- u-joints are new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chasing clunks, can be a daunting task. If clunk when shift from D to N to R and back repeatedly. I always start with hub flange inspection.

Last edited:
these are the exact parts i put on my LC.

Note that the new part# is 43421-60060.

And thanks for mentioning ToyotaPartsDeal. Somehow in all my years of multiple Lexus ownership I've never heard of that site. Just bought from there now.

Last edited:
Note that the new part# is 43421-60060.

And thanks for mentioning ToyotaPartsDeal. Somehow in all my years of multiple Lexus ownership I've never heard of that site. Just bought from there now.
yeah i saw that. Glad it worked for you. I find that the prices on this site are the most reasonable (for oem products) that i have found. Good luck

I replaced the axle flanges on my 01 LX and that fixed my clunk issue. I would like to add that there is an assortment of c clips of varying thicknesses that maybe required to prevent damage to the new flanges. Once the flange in mounted, the axle is pulled through and the corresponding clip needs to be installed to eliminate slack in the axle. Please refer to the appropriate thread or FSM for more details.

2021-02-16 (1).png

Once the flange in mounted, the axle is pulled through and the corresponding clip needs to be installed to eliminate slack in the axle.

This info is pure gold. Many thanks. Lots of non-obvious parts are simply missing on my poorly maintained LX470. Your diagram, together with ToyotaPartsDeal, will save me a ton of trouble.

This info is pure gold. Many thanks. Lots of non-obvious parts are simply missing on my poorly maintained LX470. Your diagram, together with ToyotaPartsDeal, will save me a ton of trouble.
I know it is quite old now, But can you let us know if your problem has been solved?

I bought a 2005 LX470 and the previous owner removed the drive shaft. When I connected there is a very bad noise from the diff and jerk(Thug) noise while shifting from R to D or vice versa,

I replaced the front diff (along with all three bushes) and now there is slight whining noise but the jerk (thug) is still there. Is the CV and Flange will solve my issue?

I know it is quite old now, But can you let us know if your problem has been solved?

I bought a 2005 LX470 and the previous owner removed the drive shaft. When I connected there is a very bad noise from the diff and jerk(Thug) noise while shifting from R to D or vice versa,

I replaced the front diff (along with all three bushes) and now there is slight whining noise but the jerk (thug) is still there. Is the CV and Flange will solve my issue?
Try the easiest thing first that has worked for many others: lubricate the propeller shafts. Often the thud comes from the lack of grease in between the splines of the prop shafts.

Try the easiest thing first that has worked for many others: lubricate the propeller shafts. Often the thud comes from the lack of grease in between the splines of the prop shafts.
Thanks man and also thanks 2001LC. The problem is inside the flange and excel end as you identified. The Thug noise reason is identified and I will solve it soon.

Another problem is that the whining noise which starts at around 40 km/hr and increases as your speed. But the sound only come when you keep the foot on accelerator even when you are cruising on constant speed. Once you lift the foot from the accelerator the whine stops.

Update on my issue:
I tried to find the used diff in the scrap yard but all of them having some problem or the ratio of 4.1:1 is not available. Finally I have bitten the bullet and bought new diff from Toyota. The whining noise is over. Thanks all.

Then I also bought the new flanges, it reduced the thud noise but still there. Looks like I have to replace the the axle, I tried from the scrap yard but they are also loose. I will install new axles and will update.

Driveline slack is not solved at one point-on a high KM/Miles truck its actually coming from many places on your truck both front and rear.

Oftentimes the rear control arms (lowers) rubber bushes are worn and allow too much movement- which is a big contributor to “thud” noise from Park to Drive. Worn front drive flanges, worn outer axle stub(what flange mates to), front carrier bushing(to a lesser degree) front axle tube extension bushing, and if the truck was towing a lot of its life, splines of the propeller shaft.

Whining gear noise- id check the gear oil- maybe try a little heavier weight since you are in hot climate- (75w/140).

Driveline slack is not solved at one point-on a high KM/Miles truck its actually coming from many places on your truck both front and rear.

Oftentimes the rear control arms (lowers) rubber bushes are worn and allow too much movement- which is a big contributor to “thud” noise from Park to Drive. Worn front drive flanges, worn outer axle stub(what flange mates to), front carrier bushing(to a lesser degree) front axle tube extension bushing, and if the truck was towing a lot of its life, splines of the propeller shaft.

Whining gear noise- id check the gear oil- maybe try a little heavier weight since you are in hot climate- (75w/140).
You are right, there is small slack in every drive component, the main play is inside the CV joints, need to replace that and hopefully it will reduce further. There is also slack in rear differential. Any how, I bought the new front differential and I am using 85W-90 oil which is Toyota/Lexus recommendation.

I had 2012 GMC Terrain earlier and I tried 75w-140 is the front and rear differential, after that the car feel very heavy and dosen't like to coast once you remove your foot from the accelerator. The fuel comsumption reduced like 5~10%. That is why I am little skeptical for oil with 140 Viscosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom