Throttle Linkage Connection FJ60 with Weber Carb (and electric choke) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I'm nearing the final stages of a massive overhaul to an '85 FJ60 and am having trouble with the weber carb. So this summer my truck died out ad wouldn't start. It seemed likely it was a carb issue so my buddy (licensed mechanic) bought a rebuild kit and decided to rebuild it. While we had it off, we fixed a bunch of cracks, shoddy backyard mechanic stuff (for example a welded brake pad to cover exhaust ports) and we did a desmog.

In rebuilding the carb something went wrong. the throttle won't push properly etc etc. I reached out to JimC (cause I know he's the guru) but never heard back so I bought a weber carb from CruiserCorps to get me through until the world is normal-ish. We put on the weber carb but there's a few issues I'm having:

The throttle linkage won't connect nicely. I can't seem to find any nice pictures of anything Weber carb-linkage related and it just won't fit on right. When I hook up the stock linkage my gas pedal is already halfway down. I was wondering if anyone had pics of their Weber 38/38 conversion hooked up? Is there anything that would cause the gas pedal to be halfway pressed? It feels like I have to lift the rod arm from the gas pedal overly high to connect to the throttle arm causing it to already be twisted.

Secondly, I have a manual choke, but the carb is setup with an electric choke. There are no pictures anywhere that show where to hook the eyelet end on to to get the proper voltage. Would I go straight onto the alternator or will that leave it constantly on?

Thanks for your help, I'm a little in over my head mechanically and could use all the help I can get.

You probably just got some of the linkage pieces together wrong on the Aisin carb. Post a photo of it from each side.

You can make the Weber work, but it’s a lot of fooling around as your discovering.

I would get a kit to convert it to manual choke and rig the stock choke cable. Or wire it to 12v switched with the coil, but Weber chokes are a PITA.

Heres a pic. Yellow arrow shows how I could rotate mine to adjust and then tighten the bolt down.

IMG_4234.JPG

I can help with the linkage tech , info , pics of all
Related parts

stand by for all that

I know fj60
Linkage very well

usually it does not communicate well
Mechanically with the non toyota Webber design flaws

never really intended or well thought out to use factory linkage set up parts

I see you modified your carb base bracket a tad bit ?

I have not seen this approach before ?

where or who told you to do this mod this way

this will help determine your nest fee positive steps foward twatds sorting this out so you have a safe no hang up linkage going on

Hey! Thanks for all the replies. I've been a bit busy with work but I'll post pictures and reply to everyone tonight! Thanks for the help :)

Hey! Thanks for all the replies. I've been a bit busy with work but I'll post pictures and reply to everyone tonight! Thanks for the help :)

DSCN3323.JPG
DSCN3326.JPG
DSCN3327.JPG
DSCN3328.JPG
DSCN3331.JPG

Only thing I can provide is parts for cable linkage conversion, but not sure what carb you are ending up with ???

Only thing I can provide is parts for cable linkage conversion, but not sure what carb you are ending up with ???
Only thing I can provide is parts for cable linkage conversion, but not sure what carb you are ending up with ?
I’m searching the forums. Do you offer a conversion from linkage to cable? My ‘78 FJ40 is missing the entire linkage set-up. I’m fine with a cable if that is the easier/cheaper solution. Any input?

I’m searching the forums. Do you offer a conversion from linkage to cable? My ‘78 FJ40 is missing the entire linkage set-up. I’m fine with a cable if that is the easier/cheaper solution. Any input?
If you want to go the OEM linkage route more than likely @ToyotaMatt has what you need. Or try Classic Cruisers in Poncha Springs, CO.

I have Fully Restored FULL Linkage Kits with NEW OEM Push Rod and Carb Side Small Accel ROD too ..

In this case Being Cheaper can cause a Jerry Rigged Cable to Hang up and well somebody WILL get hurt to say the least

DSCN3300 - Copy.JPG
DSCN3302.JPG
DSCN3304.JPG
DSCN3309.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom