Threw a rod - how did this happen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all,

been a long-time reader but just joined to share this and ask you all for your collective wisdom. I'll start by saying I'm not as knowledgeable about the ins-and-outs of cars and how they work as I'd like to, but I can pass muster to a good degree. That said, when things start going wrong I will not be the guy to notice the signs, and as it happened, that ended in catastrophic failure today. I'm wondering if you folks can help me figure out what may have happened.

Was driving my '86 FJ60 (w/ 2F) today in 4th at around 3krpm (~70mph) and started to hear knocking; by the time I got close enough to the shoulder to pull over it was too late. Loud sound, loss of power, and immediately start smoking from the hood. I pulled over safely, put the brake on, pulled the key, and got a safe distance. Even with the key out and "off", engine kept knocking on its own and smoking for a good few minutes. Eventually stopped knocking, smoke stopped as well.

When the FD came they wanted me to drive it off the freeway and I told them I couldn't, but they asked me to start it. That obviously didn't go well - looked like fuel was squirting out of the carb in some direction or another. We didn't see oil or anything significant dripping.

Sent it to the shop, and they sent some photos of what seems to be a hole in the oil pan. Apparently most likely threw out a rod and pierced through the pan on the way out. I don't understand how this happened - I baby the car and drive it very carefully, and I can only assume somehow/sometime that either all the oil got lost or oil pressure got lost. I haven't noted any oil residue below the car in the morning or otherwise, though. Picture below.

417615515_3615579735323089_4978881255560681370_n.jpg

About two months ago the shop also did a carb rebuild, replaced oil cooler coolant hoses, and the fan clutch. It's been driving very differently since the rebuild, but I suppose that only makes sense (it's like a lung transplant for the car). I've driven a few hundred miles since then and besides the drive feeling really different, nothing has stuck out too much.

About a week ago, I did hear this sound for about 30 minutes and couldn't tell where it was coming from. It's the last weird sound I noticed before this happened today, so perhaps it's related - video below. Today it all happened very quickly.

So my question is if anyone can advise what could have happened or anything that can help me piece together the story... I always drive below 3krpm so never over-revved, so I can only imagine there was some oil problem that suddenly hit a limit, and I can't imagine how that happened.

Thanks in advance.

Was it overheating before it died? Could be smog pump seized, threw the belt and then waterpump would be no longer pumping. Overheated it and boom.

Anything happen with the gauges prior to this? Your gauges are your alarm bells. Did your temp gauge peg to the hot? Oil pressure drop to nothing? Any warning lights flash on? It'll all be speculation till the engine is torn down and analyzed.

Could have been running rich after the carb rebuild. The oil became saturated with fuel and thinned out causing the rod bearing to fail. That is just a guess based on the recent events you explained. Due to the long stroke on these engines they do not not high RPM's. 3000 RPM is not really high but I keep mine under 3000 when cruising for long periods. Limits me to about 60-65 tops.

Sorry this happened.

Not sure, but that intermittent squeak sounds like an accessory or water pump bearing ready to seize. Perhaps could be a belt, too. So many possibilities for the cause, impossible to know without more info or possibly a teardown.

Where is the truck now? What shop has it?

Was it overheating before it died? Could be smog pump seized, threw the belt and then waterpump would be no longer pumping. Overheated it and boom.
I'll be honest, it was my first "catastrophic" failure of any kind like this and I freaked out a bit, so I wasn't exactly watching the gauges. Not sure what happened to the temperature leading up to this.
Anything happen with the gauges prior to this? Your gauges are your alarm bells. Did your temp gauge peg to the hot? Oil pressure drop to nothing? Any warning lights flash on? It'll all be speculation till the engine is torn down and analyzed.
Echoing the above. That said, no lights or anything obviously wrong right before that I could have noticed.
It happens. My sister's 60 threw a rod 17,000 miles after a complete rebuild
That sucks.. I always thought something like this usually just happens from negligence or bad maintenance. Never imagined that it would just randomly happen all of a sudden...
Could have been running rich after the carb rebuild. The oil became saturated with fuel and thinned out causing the rod bearing to fail. That is just a guess based on the recent events you explained. Due to the long stroke on these engines they do not not high RPM's. 3000 RPM is not really high but I keep mine under 3000 when cruising for long periods. Limits me to about 60-65 tops.
How likely do you think that explanation is? Just curious as I'm not sharp enough to assess. RPM wise, I really don't even get to 3krpm, definitely tops.
Sorry this happened.

Not sure, but that intermittent squeak sounds like an accessory or water pump bearing ready to seize. Perhaps could be a belt, too. So many possibilities for the cause, impossible to know without more info or possibly a teardown.

Where is the truck now? What shop has it?
Appreciate the condolences. I'm just surprised that it came out of seemingly nowhere. Figured there'd be a lot of obvious signs and perhaps some more grace before such a major failure. The car is at K&H Imports in Canoga Park right now. Photo of the hole in the oil pan is from them, they are gearing up to remove the oil pan and investigate further.

@RodrigzCrzr This guy seems to be local to you in the Valley. Any thoughts? Can Westside Land Cruisers assist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom