Thoughts on 1991 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - been traveling lately so not looking for potential cruisers as much. However, there is one in my area that looks interesting (engine rebuilt, new brakes, cooling system, etc.) that I'd like to look at. It's in the Portland Craigslist.
I don't want to start an argument - but I know the engine in the 1991 is not preferred by many, so I wanted to ask the members here for input. What are the primary "minuses" for this year model vs the later model 80's? And - are there any "pluses"? Is the 3FE engine really undesirable?
You guys are very helpful and I'm still looking.
Thanks!

80 series ih8mud cliffnotes: 3fe = underpowered but very reliable.

If you don't mind putting along in the slow lane, it is a great engine. If you don't want be run off the highway by semi trucks, shoot for the later 1fz-fe models.

Other minuses:
you can't get factory lockers with a '91 (not a big deal since there are plenty of aftermarket options if you want lockers)
You don't get full float rear axle (rear axle will be a little weaker and harder to service, but also not a big deal as few of them ever break)
You don't get rear disc brakes and braking is overall a little weaker.

I love my 91, the 3fe is more reliable..... I bought an 80 series for its reliability not speed. I spend a lot of time in some remote and hot areas so it was a no brainer to go with the 3fe for me

I'm not planning on it being a daily driver but I do want to explore and camp out of it.
Do the 3FE's run cooler?

We've had a 92 3FE since new. A few thoughts:

- This 27 year old truck was designed at a time when the U.S. was still transitioning from 55 to 65 MPH speed limits. On highways, ours cruises along just fine at 60 - 70 (on 33s), but feels most comfortable around 65. For lack of power, it slows to 55 on long, steep ascents. One can hold speed while ascending hills by manually shifting. Relative to modern power and modern highway speeds, the 3FE is slow and underpowered.

- It's incredibly reliable. Each year, even after 238K miles, I still go deep into Mexico -- hours and hours from anywhere on dirt and sand. I would not hesitate to drive it to South America tomorrow. It's that reliable.

- It's remarkably impervious to neglect. The trucks seem to continue to run even with owners guilty of terrible neglect.

- It's super capable off road. Despite the lack of lockers and a floating rear axle, the 91-92s are still highly capable off road. Ours has never been stuck. In sand, for example, I have driven circles all around and helped recover triple-locked trucks (non Land Cruisers).

- It gets s***ty mileage. Ours pulls 14 on a good day. That's a bummer for the atmosphere, wars, one's pocket book and available range. We added a 24 gallon aux tank to bump that range up to 500-700 miles depending on driving conditions.

- It shines on dirt roads. That's what it feels like it was designed for -- comfortable, capable, and with plenty of power where and when you need it. It's hard to imagine a better platform for remote dirt touring. That's how we use ours - a camping truck, and for that it's just about perfect. For the price one can get into a 3FE 80, it's a great platform for that.

Last edited:
I'm not planning on it being a daily driver but I do want to explore and camp out of it.
Do the 3FE's run cooler?
I don't know if they run any cooler, but they are less susceptible to problems caused or worsened by heat (namely the head gasket failures that some get with 1fz-fe trucks)

Great info. I'm driving it tomorrow so will have more observations
then. The seller was planning to build an overland rig and that's what I'd like, but as light and simple as possible. I don't know why the motor was rebuilt at 164k and that actually seems like a minus.
Twilly - do you have a lift, etc to do all that traveling or run mostly stock?
Thanks.

then. The seller was planning to build an overland rig and that's what I'd like, but as light and simple as possible. I don't know why the motor was rebuilt at 164k and that actually seems like a minus.
Thanks.
Thanks.

Mostly stock. I made a handful of mods for traveling, but wanted to keep it clean, simple, and light: slight lift on 33s, aux fuel, and a pop-top roof. More here.

I would get the story (with evidence) on why a 3FE needed to be rebuilt at such a young age. Given my experience and that motor's reputation, that's a little worrisome to me.

Nice rig. That's what I'm after - clean and reliable.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow but I agree that the rebuild raises questions.

A lot depends on what you want to use it for. I bought a 1992, about 2 years ago.

In my case, I wanted something to become the vehicle that I would camp with. It easily fills that role. It's a little slow, but not troublesome. I want to build drawers/sleeping platform later this month. The previous owner put 16 inch land cruiser wheels on it, and it runs 285/75/16.

I looked at the Craigslist ad you're looking at, and while everyone claims that they always buy cheap, I must say this one looks to be overpriced by quite a bit. I paid less than half of that for mine. There are multiple 80 series on Craigslist in my area, for much lower than this one. There is a 3x locked 1996 with 140,000 miles and asking $9,500.

This picture was the day I brought mine home. I'll continue to add to it, over time.

1992 LC.jpg

Here's the real deal: They're both slow. Going from the 1fz to the 3fe is akin to "Holy crap this thing is slow" to "Holy crap this thing is really slow".

It's 190hp vs 155hp in a ~6000lb vehicle. It's essentially the choice between being shot in the arm vs being shot in the leg. You're getting shot either way.

The right move is to find the cleanest truck in your price range, then buy it.

Yes - quite high but a lot of work done as well. It's close by so worth a look and a chat with the seller to check it out.
Love the two-tone on your rig and it's super clean! Congrats.

We've had a 92 3FE since new. A few thoughts:

- This 27 year old truck was designed at a time when the U.S. was still transitioning from 55 to 65 MPH speed limits. On highways, ours cruises along just fine at 60 - 70 (on 33s), but feels most comfortable around 65. For lack of power, it slows to 55 on long, steep ascents. One can hold speed while ascending hills by manually shifting. Relative to modern power and modern highway speeds, the 3FE is slow and underpowered.

- It's incredibly reliable. Each year, even after 238K miles, I still go deep into Mexico -- hours and hours from anywhere on dirt and sand. I would not hesitate to drive it to South America tomorrow. It's that reliable.

- It's remarkably impervious to neglect. The trucks seem to continue to run even with owners guilty of terrible neglect.

- It's super capable off road. Despite the lack of lockers and a floating rear axle, the 91-92s are still highly capable off road. Ours has never been stuck. In sand, for example, I have driven circles all around and helped recover triple-locked trucks (non Land Cruisers).

- It gets s***ty mileage. Ours pulls 14 on a good day. That's a bummer for the atmosphere, wars, one's pocket book and available range. We added a 24 gallon aux tank to bump that range up to 500-700 miles depending on driving conditions.

- It shines on dirt roads. That's what it feels like it was designed for -- comfortable, capable, and with plenty of power where and when you need it. It's hard to imagine a better platform for remote dirt touring. That's how we use ours - a camping truck, and for that it's just about perfect. For the price one can get into a 3FE 80, it's a great platform for that.
Amen to all of this! They are fantastic trucks and I love my 3fe

Here's the real deal: They're both slow. Going from the 1fz to the 3fe is akin to "Holy crap this thing is slow" to "Holy crap this thing is really slow".

It's 190hp vs 155hp in a ~6000lb vehicle. It's essentially the choice between being shot in the arm vs being shot in the leg. You're getting shot either way.

The right move is to find the cleanest truck in your price range, then buy it.
1fz-fe is 212 hp, and yes 57hp is a very noticeable difference--that's over 1/3 more power. I would even go as far as to say my '96 is not slow at all, I'd call it adequate for 95% of all driving scenarios I've encountered. Sorry, getting a little bit into the "argument" weeds here. :eek:

There both slow and that one in Portland is overpriced.

3fe is not going to be reliable anymore due to its age. Lots of work will have to be done to baseline either a 1fz or 3fe. Hoses can burst, lots of gaskets and seals to fix, wiring issues. Get a 1fz, yes you pay more to begin with, but a 1fz is worth shooting for if your going to build a rig and you have the option to turbo or supercharge it. 212hp is adequate for a 4500lb rig. 155hp is not.

3fe is not going to be reliable anymore due to its age. Lots of work will have to be done to baseline either a 1fz or 3fe. Hoses can burst, lots of gaskets and seals to fix, wiring issues. Get a 1fz, yes you pay more to begin with, but a 1fz is worth shooting for if your going to build a rig and you have the option to turbo or supercharge it. 212hp is adequate for a 4500lb rig. 155hp is not.
All I can tell you is that I have a 3fe for recreation and a gx (v8) for the commute. Damn if I don’t find myself driving that 3fe on the commute a lot of days!

Is it a barn burner? Of course not. Does it always get you there (regardless of location) at a comfortable speed? Yep.

Also have to argue the reliability because of age. Any 20+ year old vehicle is not a “reliable” play, but a fair amount of folks here would argue that the 3fe is more reliable than the FZJ motor. I would think that the FZJ DOES have the advantage with less NLA parts, but just give it time - that advantage will not be there forever.

I got my 91 5 years ago with 180,000 now it's at 260,000 at least 20,000 of those were offroad. Not a single issue on my 91 other than an alternator that went bad after a wreck and a leaky radiator. All my issues have been small maintenance issues. I am doubtful I would have been that lucky with the 1fze. Head gasket, pesky hose, exploding plastic radiators. I sold my 88 fj62 with 412,000 on the odometer in 2007. It had never had work done on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom