Builds 1992 FJ80 Basic Travel Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This post discusses basic upgrades that really improved my Land Cruiser's remote touring capability. I hope this thread is helpful to others thinking through similar priorities.

Some background...

I was lucky to grow up with this truck in the family. It came home from the dealer lot in the winter of 91/92. I've been fortunate to be able to use it for trips in the west and Mexico since I was 17 or 18. Now in my mid-forties, a vehicle couldn't be more familiar.

Until 2005 it was a daily driver in northern Arizona and rural Sonora. It's never been stuck and has left its occupants stranded only once--an alternator close to home.

It turned a quarter million miles in March of 2020, in the Kofa. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Argentina tomorrow.

IMG_8016.JPG

In 2005 there was discussion of selling it. So I bought it to keep it in the family. It didn't see many miles for a decade or so. I then began upgrades and maintenance to optimize its utility for remote touring. I now use it for camping close to home, for work trips in remote places in the West, and for vehicle-based dirt touring in the West and Mexico.

IMG_3458.jpg

A first upgraded suspension, which was badly worn.
  • stock height OME medium springs in the front and heavies in the rear, Tourflex 2' heavy (f) and extra heavy (r) springs;
  • Dobinson's gas shocks, and
  • 33s.
This improved ride quality and height, especially under load. It loves galloping down dirt roads.

Next, a 24 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, by LRA,
  • total capacity is now 49 gallons
  • allows me to stockpile cheap and bypass expensive fuel
  • doubles my range to 550 on dirt and 650 or so on highway
  • roof-top gas cans are no more
  • affords plenty of ground clearance
  • very well made
No more range stress. The tank requires relocating the spare; I now run mine inside with a @LandCruiserPhil carrier; perfect.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lastly, a Campteq poptop. It's transformed how I travel. In bed within a minute of stopping and on the road within 5 minutes of waking. Wonderful sleeping, high up and airy.

IMG_7936.JPG

It's dust-proof, stoutly built, directly (not secondarily) fastened, low profile, and capable of carrying a big load should I need to. The mattress is 3 7/8" medium-high density foam. Not too firm; very comfortable.

IMG_7952.JPG

That's about it. Three modifications sharply improved the truck's capability and comfort for remote touring.

Cheers!

Last edited:
hey bud. I recently put one of the 40G replacement tanks from LRA on my '89 FJ62 and love it. Considering the same supplemental tank for my FZJ80 that you have. How's it working out? any problems with the filler neck? How's it work is it the lever you pull or the one with two holes one for each tank? Also, any issues with the fuel transfer pump as of yet? Thanks for your reply.

hey bud. I recently put one of the 40G replacement tanks from LRA on my '89 FJ62 and love it. Considering the same supplemental tank for my FZJ80 that you have. How's it working out? any problems with the filler neck? How's it work is it the lever you pull or the one with two holes one for each tank? Also, any issues with the fuel transfer pump as of yet? Thanks for your reply.

Everything functions well. And it's very well built and up and out of the way.

The two tanks fill from a common point. Pull the valve and it fills the rear tank; push it back in to send to the main. See photos here.

The only quirk that I can report is that sometimes the aux gas gauge misreads. But it always self-corrects in short order, or after re-starting.

6176706208_IMG_2178.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice truck, love how clean it is, all business. Don't change a thing! Quite possible one of the nicest 80's on here.

Thanks. Kind words. The body could be in better shape; left rear quarter panel was victim to a hit and run a decade ago. But it sounds like you and I both appreciate simplicity and function.

Last edited:
When did you get your CampTeq? Was it from the original run or one of the new ones I heard rummer of. One of my only Land Cruiser regrets was not getting one when they first came out.

When did you get your CampTeq? Was it from the original run or one of the new ones I heard rummer of. One of my only Land Cruiser regrets was not getting one when they first came out.

I got it this summer, and I'm really impressed with the design and build quality. An efficient, sturdy, smart, and simple design - very much in the spirit of the 80 and Land Cruisers in general. It's the 11th or 12th made, I think, and it's really transformed how I travel. It's different enough from a roof top tent than I didn't and wouldn't run one of those, but gladly paid quite a bit more for the Campteq.

I see on Instragram that they've got a new company called Yoteq that's a collab between Eric and Yota Imports producing Campteqs for 80s, 60s, and some of the 70 series imports. I hear tariffs have pushed prices higher yet, but, even so, they should be more available than ever going forward.

Last edited:
Do you enter the tent from the outside rear of the 80 or from inside the 80?

Very nice practical and effective build. What’s next?

Do you enter the tent from the outside rear of the 80 or from inside the 80?

Very nice practical and effective build. What’s next?

Thanks - that was the goal. Ideal for my purposes. Enter, exit from the outside rear. For a variety of reasons I did not cut the roof.

Not sure what's next. Maybe solar and a fridge - just returning from a few weeks in Mexico, and being time limited by ice in a remote location bums me out.

IMG_8638.jpg
6176646288_IMG_3061.jpg

6176684848_IMG_3416.jpg

Last edited:
so sweet, done right! Spare tire in the back storage area?

Thanks, and yes, the spare is now stored in the back, along the rear driver's side window, with a carrier made by @LandCruiserPhil which fastens to the stock bolt pattern.

When I get my FJ80, I’ll be using for mountain fishing expeditions. I saw your fishing kayak in one of the pics, what kind is it. I sold my 17’ canoe and will be purchasing a fishing kayak in the very near future.

Nice expedition truck set up.
At last a simple but very pragmatic approach.
Bit by bit you will reach and find all details for your truck .
I would have done it the same .

Bye Renago

When I get my FJ80, I’ll be using for mountain fishing expeditions. I saw your fishing kayak in one of the pics, what kind is it. I sold my 17’ canoe and will be purchasing a fishing kayak in the very near future.

Hi @Smokefx.

That kayak is a Necky Cruiser II. That's right: the cruiser rides atop the cruiser. It's probably 15 years old, and wasn't specifically designed for fishing. It's big -- almost 15' long, it's wider than almost anything sold today, and it's heavy. It had gone neglected in a family member's yard for years; I re-purposed it for ocean fishing and photography, and added a rod mount for trolling. It works great.

If I were shopping for a fishing kayak now, I'd look into finding a cheaper used one, and repurposing it for fishing (fishing kayaks are still relatively rare used, I think). Or, if shopping for a new boat, I'd look at Jackson kayaks. My travel partners paddle Jacksons and they make some really nice fishing boats. I'd also find one that's a little smaller and lighter than the one I have, just for ease of loading and unloading.

Last edited:
Do you ever camp in cold weather - if so any issues with the foam hardening? With the 4" foam do you still have plenty of room to store bedding in the top? I have a really comfortable Nemo Cosmo pillow top in mine which I like, but considering switching to panels with foam and covers for convenience when moving around inside. I still want to keep sleeping bags and blankets up top, though. Mine can get tight with deflated mattresses, sleeping bags, and the tent material.

Do you ever camp in cold weather - if so any issues with the foam hardening? With the 4" foam do you still have plenty of room to store bedding in the top? I have a really comfortable Nemo Cosmo pillow top in mine which I like, but considering switching to panels with foam and covers for convenience when moving around inside. I still want to keep sleeping bags and blankets up top, though. Mine can get tight with deflated mattresses, sleeping bags, and the tent material.

I've only camped in perhaps 20* overnight low temperatures; the foam didn't harden. We keep two sheets on the mattress. I remove other bedding for travel (sleeping bags, quilts, pillows, depending on season), and no, there wouldn't be enough room to close it without doing so. I've considered removing a layer of foam from the mattress to be able to keep bedding up top, but honestly, without space limitations otherwise, we err on the side of plushness. My lady and I consider sleeping on a nice mattress in the field a special luxury.

@ab1985 - What do you mean by panels and foam? And, did you cut your roof?

Yes, my roof is cut. When I want to stand up and move around inside I let a little air out of the mattress, fold it back, and slide the slats back so all the bedding sits in the dead space over the sunroof. Many pop-tops have panels with foam cushions similar to a couch cushion. There are pros and cons to each approach.

I don't have great pics of the interior, but these show the slats pushed back:

026_zps25c0ebf9.jpg

LandCruiser011_zps4dbefe42.jpg

Yes, my roof is cut. When I want to stand up and move around inside I let a little air out of the mattress, fold it back, and slide the slats back so all the bedding sits in the dead space over the sunroof. Many pop-tops have panels with foam cushions similar to a couch cushion. There are pros and cons to each approach.

I don't have great pics of the interior, but these show the slats pushed back:

026_zps25c0ebf9.jpg

LandCruiser011_zps4dbefe42.jpg

Just clicked through to the page linked in your signature. Cool build.

I'll be interested to see if you change your sleeping platform. Yours sounds like a fast and simple system except for reinflating the mattress. I'm sure it stowes faster and more compactly than cushion-panels, but then panels wouldn't require re-inflating. Trade-offs.

Have you considered a mattress platform like an Alu-Cab Hercules for the Troopy? - One that raises and lowers from the pop-top ceiling to flat? If I ever cut my roof, that's what I'd investigate first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom