Thoughts on 1991 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I might need to drive to Portland and sell my 91. I never dreamed I could get 8500 for it lol. These rigs must be popular in that part of the country.

Im not saying the 3fe is unreliable, but it needs to be baselined to be reliable-and thats not a quick task. You have to replace every seal and gasket, all hoses, water pump, fuel pressure regulator, o2 sensor and cat, and reseal all electrical connections. And then its reliable again.

As opposed to a vehicle thats at most, 5 years newer and still 22 years old?

I do like the 3FE but to play the devils advocate here, they can and do have some achilles heels, that are as bad or worse than the 1fz though not as common, or pretty rare really.

They can blow an oil galley plug in the head which generally leads to starving your bearings as you pump every qt of oil out the side of the head and onto the ground. Rebuild time. OTOH do some easy PM and tap the hole for a set screw and problem eliminated.

They do from time to time strip out the nylon camshaft timing gear. Cool huh. Uncommon but has happened.

That being said, I still don’t think that highly of the 1fz and I think you’re much more likely to pop a hg than run into above issues but it needed to be mentioned

I respectfully disagree and have had the exact opposite experience. Prudence calls for baselining any vehicle of this age. That shouldn't confuse the fact that the 3FE's longevity and reliability is legend; it's literally one of the most reliable gasoline engines ever produced.

The ultimate in reliability and simplicity is the 1991 3f 80series carburettor version..truly a bullet proof engine..nuffin like it

My 91 3Fe has been fantastic. It is great for buzzing around town at sidestreet speeds. Perfect for country roads. and feels much more vintage than the later FJZ models. I like the fact that you get a a modern vehicle but with cloth, small 16" wheels, non-tinted windows, and no airbags in a very reliable truck. It is a truely vintage experience to own one without all the harshness of a vintage rig.

IMG_1755.jpg

I enjoy the simplicity of this rig as a stark contrast to my 100 and my LX570. Just a simple sewing machine for a weekend drive in the country. I hope the hipsters figure out how cool these are so prices jump and I can justify my expenditures on making this old girl as good as new.

RKTINC

View attachment 1955245

I enjoy the simplicity of this rig as a stark contrast to my 100 and my LX570. Just a simple sewing machine for a weekend drive in the country. I hope the hipsters figure out how cool these are so prices jump and I can justify my expenditures on making this old girl as good as new.

RKTINC
View attachment 1955245

RKTINC

My 91 3Fe has been fantastic. It is great for buzzing around town at sidestreet speeds. Perfect for country roads. and feels much more vintage than the later FJZ models. I like the fact that you get a a modern vehicle but with cloth, small 16" wheels, non-tinted windows, and no airbags in a very reliable truck. It is a truely vintage experience to own one without all the harshness of a vintage rig.
Good stuff

Both are great rigs and both have great engines. To me, what you are planning to ultimately do with your vehicle can lead you to one over the other. For me, I was more interested in using it off pavement, so 35" tires, sliders, bumpers, winch, etc. were called for. Running larger tires on a 3FE engine did not sound appealing. I know I could do gears, but that is not where I was wanting to go. Add on the full floating rear, discs all around, front and rear lockers and my choice of a FZJ80 was a no-brainer.

If I were going to stay more stock and not wheel it as hard, or make it as heavy, then a FJ80 could totally work. They are great rigs. And I do know what it is like to have an slow cruiser. Try a FJ60. Slow and totally great.

And I have found that people tend to ask stupid prices because they look and see other people asking stupid prices. It doesn't mean they are getting anywhere near those asking prices.

My 91 is on 37s regear, triple locked, full armors, and I have no problem doing 75 on highway and 65 up the Grapevines. It is excellent on dirt and the low end torque is perfect for rock crawling. I also love the simplicity of the engine and low maintenance once you get the rig properly baselined. The cloth interior is ideal, no airbag and abs is a plus as well. Also no problems stopping the huge 37s on and off the pavement as well with stock brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom