Those dang knuckle threads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I plan on doing the dreaded front knuckle rebuild and while I am doing that I am going to be replacing the steering knuckle studs and brake pads. Any other quick maintenance I should do while I have things torn apart in the front end?

If cash isn't too much of an issue consider also doing new flexible brake lines, new calipers if there's any doubt about your existing ones (they are so much cheaper these days), and new rotors if yours are showing a lip or they've already been machined more than once. A full inspection of Tie Rod Ends would also be beneficial prior to starting, its a great time to change out any that are showing too much slop.

Well I think they both are already bad And I think I should look at my sway bar?. I was also thinking about cleaning off the frame rail and remove the surface rust and painting to help keep from getting bad. Any recommendations on tie rod ends or sway bar bushings or anything like that. And as for money i just have to plan it out and put it into the budget for the month.

Unless you want to fall into a bottomless pit of "fix that while you're in there" that will empty your wallet and ask for more— just replace the knuckle seals & bearings & get out of there with your life & bank account intact.

Along shell full knuckle and wheel bearing kit, I’ll be doing rotors, pads, SS braided brake lines, MAF extended pivot sway links, swap thirds front/rear, spring bushings, castor shims, front u bolts ( punks get caught in rocks) and possibly TREs. Phew ... should be good for another 200k. Have all the parts just need the motivation

Along shell full knuckle and wheel bearing kit, I’ll be doing rotors, pads, SS braided brake lines, MAF extended pivot sway links, swap thirds front/rear, spring bushings, castor shims, front u bolts ( punks get caught in rocks) and possibly TREs. Phew ... should be good for another 200k. Have all the parts just need the motivation
Does swapping the thirds do anything or am I reading it wrong and your putting new ones in

Does swapping the thirds do anything or am I reading it wrong and your putting new ones in

I figured it can’t hurt to put the fresh low mile (front) third in the rear ... I have a little bit too much backlash on the rear and I think the pinion bearing is going as well. This way I can just have it rebuilt down the road sometime but in the meantime have a fresh third in the rear where I spend most of my time

I pulled the whole axles out when I did mine and painted them, but I was also installing a lift so that’s a little different. Also did new tie rods, drag links and rods, rotor, calipers and rebuilt the locking hubs. Good time to take apart the diff breathers and make sure those lines are clear.

Oh and not to poo on one company or another but I bought studs from SOR and they striped and the bolts striped. For all I know it could have been my fault stretching the threads while doing the double but method of install, so your mileage my vary. Ended up going with cruiseroutfitter and got the style that use the E12 socket to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom