Knuckle Rebuild Discovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my front right knuckle cleaned up to rebuild it. Took longer than inspected due to rock hard gaskets that needed to be scraped and stubborn brake lines. I also still can’t hammer out my wheel studs so I can replace the rotors, but that’s another story and I may have to find a buddy with a press to get them out.

Onto what I’m really here for tonight… During the cleaning, I looked inside the axle just to check it out, and found this sitting just inside the knuckle… what did I find and how much should I be concerned?? It is some sort of spring, but I have no clue what is to be found inside a differential and to be honest am hoping not to have to find out right now as the knuckle rebuild has turned into new tie rod ends as well since the rubber was all torn up.

IMG_6867.jpeg

Just take your hub with the old Rotor on it along with your new brake rotor to a brake service shop. They’ll press out the studs and press on the new rotor for super cheap. I’d replace the studs with new.

I pack the back side of the new seal with grease to keep that spring from popping out during installation. And I check to make sure the new seal has one in I have gotten one once with no spring in it

It’s the spring on the back side (inner) face of the inner axle oil seal. Fortunately you found it while you had it apart, not after you got it all together.

A1E9892C-B6F0-4177-A445-BCD0FF60B33D.jpeg

Just take your hub with the old Rotor on it along with your new brake rotor to a brake service shop. They’ll press out the studs and press on the new rotor for super cheap. I’d replace the studs with new.
I think this is my plan. Need to get the studs ordered. Along with a few other odds and ends and new tie rod ends. As seized up as they look I may just be getting a whole new steering linkage.

A nice trick for brake studs is to support the disc in away that allows the stud to be free at the bottom. (2 2x4s with a crack between them) hold a ball peen hammer on the stud, and hit the first hammer with a second hammer. Full face visor is advised in case you break the hammer(s).

A nice trick for brake studs is to support the disc in away that allows the stud to be free at the bottom. (2 2x4s with a crack between them) hold a ball peen hammer on the stud, and hit the first hammer with a second hammer. Full face visor is advised in case you break the hammer(s).
That's exactly how I do it! Put ball peen hammer on stud, and bash ball peen with small sledge hammer. It works brilliantly. Studs are in in under 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom