Replacing rear brake backing plates and rear axle bearings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dekeman

SILVER Star
Threads
EDIT: Figured it all out and posting pix for future reference.

Changing the bearings and seals on my 1983 semi-float rear axle (on a truck that sat for 14 years). Before putting everything back together, wanted to ask those who've been here before if everything looks OK. Didn't have any issues with it other than a small leak at the driver side.

Also, do I need a flange / collar for the new backing plates? Pic below shows old plate with a collar of some sort around the bearing/seal. Is that part of the axle housing itself or do I have the wrong backing plates or just need another part?
Many thanks.

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I know that, but old plates have some sort of collar that the new plates do not. Or am I looking at part of the axle housing itself on the old ones? Thinking I either have to remove the old collars, if possible, or order new if available. Not sure if it's just part 42137-55010.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 5.51.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks, I know that, but old plates have some sort of collar that the new plates do not. Or, on the old one, am I looking at part of the axle housing itself?

Thinking I either have to remove the old collar, if possible, off the old plates or order new if available. Not sure if it's part 42137-55010.

View attachment 3544484
I ordered that collar part (very bottom right corner) when I was rebuilding my drum brakes thinking it would be an easy “while you’re in there”. No idea even what it is, but it was deeper down by the bearing if it was even there at all - and I didn’t get that far. No clue what they’re for either. Happy to send them to you this week for whatever I paid plus the ride.

Thank you! Very kind of you, but I think I can still get from Mr. T.
Going to parts counter tomorrow, but if they can't get, I will message you. From the diagrams, I know I need two of 42137-55010, just not sure if there's more to that collar based off the looks of the old ones. Thx again.

Thank you! Very kind of you, but I think I can still get from Mr. T.
Going to parts counter tomorrow, but if they can't get, I will message you. From the diagrams, I know I need two of 42137-55010, just not sure if there's more to that collar based off the looks of the old ones. Thx again.
They’re available, or at least were when I got them from a dealership a few months ago. I guess mine will sit in a bin for years until I eventually need them haha.

Yes, still available via parts counter, on their way from California. And leaving this here for anyone in future wondering about the backing plate collar - yes, the first ring is part of the axle housing, the second is part number 42137-55010 (also on way from Cali.) Bearings also came out relatively easy so at least crossed that rubicon.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

Yes, still available via parts counter, on their way from California. And leaving this here for anyone in future wondering about the backing plate collar - yes, the first ring is part of the axle housing, the second is part number 42137-55010 (also on way from Cali.) Bearings also came out relatively easy so at least crossed that rubicon.

View attachment 3545277

View attachment 3545278
So what function does the collar serve?

And how did you access it? I seem to recall from doing my brakes last time that behind the flat end of the axle, there's a metal plate. That must hold the oil seal and be what the four bolt holes are for? So take the diff cover off, remove the axles c-lips, break down the drum brake stuff, pull the axles out, then take that 4-bolt cover off? Then you can access the collar and the bearing?

Like I said I've never gotten past rebuilding the drum brakes, never been in that deep.

Not sure what purpose it serves. To change it, yes, exactly as you described (plus pinion shaft). The four-bolt brake backing plate can stay on to change the seal or bearing, of course, but you'd have a hard time getting that collar off with the plate attached. Maybe with a bearing puller? After getting the plate off with a nylon hammer, I just gave the collar a few good taps from behind with flat-bar hammer after squirting it with my home-brew penetrant of 50/50 trans fluid and kerosene. I'm just replacing everything on the rear axle as my winter project, even the diff breather port, cover studs/bolts and brake-line clips. Plates were like $75 each, I think, from partsouq. Bell cranks rebuilt too since I was ordering parts from them and parts were available.

IMG_0717.JPG

@CruiserTrash this is how your new collar will look installed if you go back in there. Tight fit for sure. Lots of hard taps. Bearings go in tomorrow. Shafts got new studs and deflectors. Made a new rear brake line (copper nickle) when I saw enough corrosion on the stock one to render it suspect. I suck at bending lines, but learned plugging the lines with vacuum caps stops the fluid from leaking out.

IMG_0721 2.JPG

IMG_0738 2.jpg

IMG_0732 2.jpg

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0739.jpg

Last edited:
And done. Bearings in the freezer overnight (great tip from here) made it easy. Bleeding brakes and filling diff tomorrow. Pic of how it was originally. That Spider won't be happy.

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

I was reading that thread. Checked mine for play and there is none. They are both clicking when I pull the handbrake now, so hopefully they will not over click. They didn't before, but will keep a watch on it. Thanks Jim.

I was reading that thread. Checked mine for play and there is none. They are both clicking when I pull the handbrake now, so hopefully they will not over click. They didn't before, but will keep a watch on it. Thanks Jim.
That's it.

I'm roadtripping from Denver to Ottawa and when I arrive I'm pulling apart the drums on my truck and yours. Gonna sit on the ground and have a good long comparison. Hope you don't mind if I throw a tent in your yard. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom