This cranks me off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My newly rebuilt F and 1/2 locked up at work the other day. Drove fine, parked, came out 2 hours later and clank.

It's been a while getting to the issue, which turned up in the 1st main oil hole:
DSCN5987 (Medium).JPG
DSCN5990 (Medium).JPG
DSCN5989 (Large) (Medium).JPG

Heck if I know what it is: or how it got there.

The groove it dug in the journal is about 1/2 inch long and 3/16 inch deep.

if i see that right it a chunk of that bearing from right above the oil hole

Maybe. It seems pretty smooth, tho', except for the ends. A cylinder, not what you would expect from the bearing. Well, I've got my work cut out for me...

how bad is the crank?

The crank journal for Main 1 has a divit/valley 1/2 inch long and 3/16 deep. (that's the middle picture).

In other words, toast. No way to buff that out.

I'll have to load the engine on a stand and flip it and then remove the crank to see what's underneath.

Well, since it didn't get in thru the pickup screen on the oil pump, it was either generated in the pump, or was already in the passage from the pump to the filter, the filter itself, or in the galley to the mains.

Did you have the galley plugs off during the rebuild?

You sure you don't want to try running it with a buff out?

No, I am NOT kidding.

I'm also not kidding when I say I might just have to come and have a look at that for myself!;)

Best

Mark A.

I'm also not kidding when I say I might just have to come and have a look at that for myself!;)

Best

Mark A.

Sounds genuine to me. Beautiful place, Idaho.:beer::beer:

IDave, so sorry about that POS motor:frown:

Ed

I would in a second..

So.................."kinda gay" guys run damaged, but buffed cranks?:D Just trying to learn something here;)

Ed

id buff it out ,but it still looks like it came from the bearing .that one hole is not round it looks like it has a chunk the same size out

It's hard to show, but that chunk fits into the hole on the bearing like a glove, like it pushed and crushed the bearing hole out of shape.

As for buffing it, the problem (and it's also hard to show with a camera, at least from underneath) is the furrow the chunk dug in the main journal also raised a 3/32 inch ridge on one side (like a plow plowing furrows in a field)! So to "buff" it I would have to take a file to it: too high for emery cloth.

I guess I could do that, but I'm not sure how it would run after that.

Now that you mention it, Mark, I did replace the leaky oil galley plug last year. Maybe that was when it got in there. (And you are more than welcome any time: are you coming to Idaho this year?!!!)

Ed, don't worry. I'm gonna just consider it a learning experience.
DSCN5991 (Medium).JPG

when i built my 2f i checked/blew out the oil gally holes in the crank before i assembled it.
i found what looked to be a chunk of steel that resembled a bullet. :confused:
and it fit just perfect in the oil holes.

don't know if it was something already there or if it happened during the crank work.

when i built my 2f i checked/blew out the oil gally holes in the crank before i assembled it.
i found what looked to be a chunk of steel that resembled a bullet. :confused:
and it fit just perfect in the oil holes.

don't know if it was something already there or if it happened during the crank work.

I've seen two posts on Mud with pieces of crap like that that found their way into a bearing. 2bad, I've not seen pics of yours, but it counts, too;)

Total = 3...................all the pieces looked the same........and bullet-shaped describes it.

Ed

This is definitely bullet-shaped, FWIW.

OK, how many people besides Mark and Mace would really try to file that journal down and shine it up and run it? Honestly, is it an option?

This is definitely bullet-shaped, FWIW.

OK, how many people besides Mark and Mace would really try to file that journal down and shine it up and run it? Honestly, is it an option?

I would also........

What exactly do I do to knock the ridge down? 30 grit emery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom