Builds The "Wife made me buy a FJ40" to shut me up build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. It hooked up to the carb and managed the retarding dizzy.
146E1437-6C16-4366-B938-6E5CEBF955CF.jpeg

Catching up on your thread. I had a house built in the Santa Luz area of SD (my ex got the house in the divorce ). Anyway, my contractor was great but expensive but he may have good referrals. Do you still need a contractor reference?

I would appreciate it, just shoot me a PM. I'm pretty doubtful I can afford to have one built. Most of my quotes we're $200-$300 a sqft. ImI looking into prefab metal right now, but even then, the permits are insane

Decided to skip work today because it's Veterans Day (Thanks to all who served). Spent the day tinkering with the 40, trying to get it started so I could check out the new clutch master/slave. Went to start it and nothing, no lights or gauges. It was reading 13 at rest, and 12.6V with the key on, so I should have had something. I took the terminals apart and cleaned them, it fired right up after that. I did notice some things to fix:

1. Battery is ancient and not the right series for this rig.
2. Ghetto as F wiring between the coil and the dizzy (wire actually bent in a zig zag pattern) will need to replace
3. bare wires twisted together near starter.
4. carb linkage needs adjustment, gas pedal not moving the blades enough. If I just pump the pedal truck is hard to start. If I go under the hood and manually move the linkage 2x it fires up on the first turn of the key.

I may have to take a break from the rig for awhile to do some maint. on my other project car, it needs a tuneup and I need to play with the Holley Terminator setup a bit.

20180630_140740 (1).jpg

Got the carb linkage apart and adjusted. The gas pedal used to hit the trans tunnel way before it it would move the throttle blades all the way. Now I bottom out at the carb about 1in from touching the trans tunnel. Should be able to get it started a bit easier now.

Do you have a picture or two and description of how you adjust the carb linkage? I was looking at mine and I don’t think I will ever get the secondary to engage because the pedal bottoms out before the linkage kicks it and opens the secondary.

sure, no problem..on mine there is a long threaded nut that connects the gas pedal to the linkage. I took it off, and extended everything about as far as I could, then re-assembled and so far so good. Let me grab you a picture

Do you have a picture or two and description of how you adjust the carb linkage? I was looking at mine and I don’t think I will ever get the secondary to engage because the pedal bottoms out before the linkage kicks it and opens the secondary.

This guy, in the very back, you can see some of the gold threaded rod back there. Both ends have fittings that snap on to a little ball. Should be easy to remove, then just lengthen

IMG_20181115_213434677.jpg

Had a good time with @69LC and @1973Guppie week or so ago, thanks for the invite guy's.

Bunch of little stuff knocked out, @RAGINGMATT got a new oil pressure sender out me, and I used his included harness and replaced the melted wire that was there. He also is setting up a new to me fuel door lock cylinder and key.

Question fornyou guy's..I know my heater core is shot and the fan blower motor isn't working. Are these worth trying to get repaired or is an after market replament the way to go?? The PO of my old cruiser installed an aftermarket heater only and it worked great.

Shop safety supervisor loves "his" cruiser

IMG_20181125_152751304.jpg

IMG_20181125_152708195.jpg

Nice truck, thanks for posting pictures. A while back in your thread thebigredrocket posted illustrations from a manual. What manual did they come out of? Is there one for a 77 year model? Sorry to hijack your thread. I would like to get the drawings of the emission system for the 77 FJ40. If you or anyone else could PM me where I could find this information I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

Nice truck, thanks for posting pictures. A while back in your thread thebigredrocket posted illustrations from a manual. What manual did they come out of? Is there one for a 77 year model? Sorry to hijack your thread. I would like to get the drawings of the emission system for the 77 FJ40. If you or anyone else could PM me where I could find this information I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

I believe those are from the FSM, I'll see if I can find them and share the link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom