Builds The "Wife made me buy a FJ40" to shut me up build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's funny, I always think I don't like red cars very much, but a red FJ40 that looked a lot like your's was the big reason I decided I needed one. Very nice!

It's funny, I always think I don't like red cars very much, but a red FJ40 that looked a lot like your's was the big reason I decided I needed one. Very nice!

Thanks! I honestly wasn't a fan either until I came across this one

Thanks badsamaritan. Do you know if this FSM is something that can be purchased? Does FSM stand for Field Service Manual? I have a Toyota engine repair manual and also the Chassis & Body manual from Toyota Motor Sales. The engine repair manual is for the 2 F. I believe both manuals cover the 1975 year model. I got the books from the PO when I bought the truck. Thanks for the help!!

Thanks badsamaritan. Do you know if this FSM is something that can be purchased? Does FSM stand for Field Service Manual? I have a Toyota engine repair manual and also the Chassis & Body manual from Toyota Motor Sales. The engine repair manual is for the 2 F. I believe both manuals cover the 1975 year model. I got the books from the PO when I bought the truck. Thanks for the help!!

Try here for starters, .then search around for FSM. I think yourcorrect and it stands for field service manual

FSM's

Bunch of little stuff knocked out over the last few days:
IMG_20181214_144048409.jpg

Battery Tray was toast, got a replacement and a new hold down and swapped them in, PN is there if anyone needs it.

IMG_20181214_144055291.jpg

Removed PO's ridiculously undersized battery, and that wire was running to the distributor, I replaced with a new wire. Also found a bunch of wires going to the starter that were stripped on the ends and just twisted together, got those cut out and replaced as well.

IMG_20181214_144108909.jpg

Heater valve was rusted through, replaced with new. I have a leak in the cab, so now I should be able to isolate the heater core while I find the leak. I can't tell if it's the core or the pipes that connect to it. I need to cut this hose and fit it to the valve
IMG_20181214_144121678.jpg

New Battery and hold down
IMG_20181214_144304621.jpg

Also drained both diffs and got the fluids replaced. While I was at it I replaced the fill and drain plugs with the newer 10mm Allen key style plugs.

Great looking start! Been on the road a lot recently but would love to meet up with some fellow north country SD members. I'm right in the middle of Carlsbad.

Great looking start! Been on the road a lot recently but would love to meet up with some fellow north country SD members. I'm right in the middle of Carlsbad.

Hey Sounds good, I have met up with few through here on Mud, and through Beach N Toys which meets 1st Tuesday of every month at Mikes BBQ in Escondido

Beautiful Truck - congrats on listening to your wife!

Noah is great, he has worked on my FJ40.

I am in Carlsbad too, near Poinsettia and El Camino. I should find my way to Escondido for one of the meet and greet events.

Would love to meet up some time - I'm right around the corner in Bressi Ranch.

Hey Sounds good, I have met up with few through here on Mud, and through Beach N Toys which meets 1st Tuesday of every month at Mikes BBQ in Escondido

Going to try my best to make the next one! Does everyone drive their cruisers to the meetup?

Would love to meet up some time - I'm right around the corner in Bressi Ranch.

Going to try my best to make the next one! Does everyone drive their cruisers to the meetup?
Most of the members bring their respective cruisers... fun to drool over new meat.

Got the new heater core in, but decided to go through the rest of the cooling system. Lots of nasty hoses, and the radiator pipe was rusted through. Got everything disassembled and cleaned up. I found a ton of oil sludge in the bottom of the radiator, fingers crossed that's from something in the past. The coolant looked good, as does the oil from what I've seen.

Two biggest changes were adding a zinc anode to the radiator to hopefully help with the corrosion, and eliminating the heater pipes until I can find some that don't leak.

IMG_20181225_154819811.jpg
IMG_20181225_154902258.jpg
IMG_20181225_154825765.jpg
IMG_20181225_154843148.jpg

I keep meaning to ask where are you buying most of your OEM Parts from ?

I keep meaning to ask where are you buying most of your OEM Parts from ?

So far, I've been buying a lot from FJ Parts LLC - Toyota Land Cruiser Parts They are out of Corona, so the shipping times are great and Sonny has been awesome to work with. He got my order just before Xmas day and I got them day after Xmas.

Noticed some issues with the headlights during my last test drive. They were LED's (I think from Rock Auto) but they were way out of adjustment and the light was pretty weak. I ordered a pair of generic 7" housings that would hold a standard 9003 bulb and tore everything down to replace them.

Original Hardware was rusted solid. Took a few hours to get all that nasty hardware off

IMG_20181231_165726465.jpg

After cursing the PO some more over other things I got everything torn down. I made a trip to lowes and surprisingly they had everything I needed in stainless. Got everything assembled tonight for test fit. I will have to trim a couple screws down as they were too long but most stuff fits fine.

IMG_20190101_185319406.jpg

Decided everything will come out and be blasted and powdercoated to keep from further rust. All of my adjustment screws were trashed. I was able to find these at the Pepboys "Help" Section. They are same diameter as the originals but different pitch. Since all my plastic parts to the adjusters were trashed, I used the supplied plastic nut. It's definitely not a permanent fix, but it's working for now.

IMG_20190101_185408893.jpg

If anyone has a set of the originals or knows where I can find them I would love to get a set

IMG_5508_1024x1024.jpg

last time I looked you could still get the buckets, rings and hardware on Megazip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom