Builds The "Wife made me buy a FJ40" to shut me up build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H
Small update: the rig isn't running yet, but getting closer all the time. I sent my carb out to Marks offroad for a rebuild. I also located most of the missing evap system, I still need the charcoal canister and the one way check valve. Last mod was the pertronix kit I installed today. Once the carb comes back I should be able to fire it up and go for a much needed drive.
hi... I’m trying to get hold of an EVAP system for my ‘74. Where did u fing yours? Thx

H

hi... I’m trying to get hold of an EVAP system for my ‘74. Where did u fing yours? Thx

Go to the classifieds section of this forum and post a want ad. It works really well, I've been able to get a lot of parts from other mudders. You can also reach out to Mark's Off-road, he has lots of these items as well.

Got the pertronix Kit installed and the freshly rebuilt carb installed from @65swb45. Took about 30s of cranking to get fuel in the bowls but once it was in there it kicked over and ran for about 30 seconds.

Need to play with the timing And read up on what's a good baseline for this carb and then try and get it to idle

More progress, I was able to adjust the choke cable and it fired right up and ran. I can hear a vacuum leak somewhere so I need to track that down. Oil pressure looked good, and no wierd noises. I'll start tracking down the vacuum leaks and buttoning stuff up

Thanks to Corona Virus I had some more time to get into the garage and see what I could get fixed. I was able to get it fired up a few weekends ago but it wouldn't idle at all for more than 2-3seconds. I went around and plugged all of the vacuum ports that I could find and it fired up and idled on the first try. Afterwards it made this ridiculous whine:

Thought I was going to have to throw in the towel for the day, but I decided to look around and see if anything obvious was unplugged. Turns out the carb mounting nut on the inboard side was pretty loose. I tightened it up and got a nice idle

I backed it out of the garage and part way down the driveway, then pulled it in under it's own power just to see how it would do. I don't have any of the air cleaner parts so I am going to have to find those so I can seal off the carb correctly. Hoping once I have those, I can finish tuning the carb and go for a drive.

The FJ40 runs and drives now, which has opened up a whole new set of problems to run down, which honestly is nice...I'm glad to be at this point:

1. Disc brake swap. I've been slowly collecting parts as I go.
2. Suspension refresh. The truck currently has a Rough Country spring and shock kit in it and it's horrible and really jarring to ride in.
3. lots of leaks to track down, the valve cover is the worst so far.

Still glad it's at least on the road and driveable. Getting the electronic ignition ironed out was a huge help to cold starting.

Here are your 2 Fresh Restored HAZARD and FAN PULL switches ready to ship :)

i use 100% stainless steel recessed hex key set screws , a 2mm Key is included with each switch

this
IS the Hazard Knob you picked from my litter upper L:H side ! :D

i WILL send tracking info Via PM .......

Thanks again

matt

264EA8DD-DB1D-4BC9-B91A-895AE1AB850D.jpeg
6FEFAD9C-B5FF-4563-B4C9-55158CDD482B.jpeg
F430FB35-F1D9-490B-B02B-AD6199EB121B.jpeg
6412B265-6172-4FC4-B513-66B01111DFD1.jpeg

Last edited:
i do believe i was busted earlier above NOT having the the large 68- 1972 style pin wrench nuts on your 2 Fresh Switch's like you requested yesterday ........🤣

they are on now installed and box'd up for first thing shipping out in the AM

1596415557656.jpeg
🤣

Last edited:
i do believe i was busted earlier above NOT having the the large 68- 1972 style pin wrench nuts on your 2 Fresh Switch's like you requested yesterday ........🤣

they are on now installed and box'd up for first thing shipping out in the AM

Thanks Matt!

Been a year since I posted in here it looks like. I got the rig running and driving ok, but the brakes were starting to act up and required multiple pumps to get stopped. I decided to do a FJ60 disc brake swap. A lot of the parts I got from members here on Mud in the classifieds section which was great. Here's a quick rundown of what I am running

FJ60 Knuckles / Spindles
FJ60 Vented Rotors
FJ60 stock calipers
New Aisin FJ60 Hubs
Axle rebuild Kit from Marlin
Backing Plate Delete from Cruiser Outfitters
New FJ60 Birfs from Cruiser Outfitters
Stock Inner Axles
HD Steering Arms from SOR
1971-75 Drum/Drum Brake Line Kit from SOR (used all the lines except what was needed for the front drums).
Master Cylinder - Undecided, Likely FJ80 Disc/Drum w/o ABS
Booster - Undecided, likely FJ80

Big lesson learned was that none of the drum hardware (studs, cone washers etc) were re-useable so I had to scramble at the end to get correct studs etc. The wife and I just added a baby boy to the family so this has been a really slow process.

IMG_20201121_132436218.jpg

Passenger side complete:

IMG_20201223_170305786.jpg

Drivers Side wrapped up:

IMG_20210205_121643386.jpg

Got started on brake lines today

IMG_20210205_121527700_HDR.jpg

Checked the date code on the tires and they are 11 years old, and the wheels have the incorrect Back Spacing so, those have been added to the list. The suspension is also in really poor shape so I will need to address that as well at some point.

looking REALLY Sharp !

congrats on baby boy ...too
:)

Bunch of small things completed in the last few days. I haven't touched the cruiser in about 6 weeks due to a bunch of issues. Things completed:

Ran new hardlines for the disc brake swap. I purchased a drum brake kit from SOR and just didnt use the lines from the knuckle out. I used AN fittings and braided steel AN hose to go from the axles out to the calipers.

Installed new master cylinder and vacuum booster. Both are from City Racer. I used the original drum/drum master and removed the proportioning valve in the front circuit and left the rear drum circuit alone. Rear brakes are still drums for now.

IMG_20210327_130338875.jpg

Purchased new wheels and tires. I bought some OEM steel wheels from McGeorge Toyota in Virginia and then had a local discount tire put BFG AT 33x10.50's on them. I am really liking the look so far. I need to figure out some kind of spare tire carrier for my spare. I think when the PO replaced the quarters, he didnt add the holes for the tire carrier.

IMG_20210327_115759160_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210327_130244083.jpg

Bunch of small things completed in the last few days. I haven't touched the cruiser in about 6 weeks due to a bunch of issues. Things completed:

Ran new hardlines for the disc brake swap. I purchased a drum brake kit from SOR and just didnt use the lines from the knuckle out. I used AN fittings and braided steel AN hose to go from the axles out to the calipers.

Installed new master cylinder and vacuum booster. Both are from City Racer. I used the original drum/drum master and removed the proportioning valve in the front circuit and left the rear drum circuit alone. Rear brakes are still drums for now.

View attachment 2628449

Purchased new wheels and tires. I bought some OEM steel wheels from McGeorge Toyota in Virginia and then had a local discount tire put BFG AT 33x10.50's on them. I am really liking the look so far. I need to figure out some kind of spare tire carrier for my spare. I think when the PO replaced the quarters, he didnt add the holes for the tire carrier.

View attachment 2628451

View attachment 2628452

For your rear tire carrier was more than just holes in the quarter panel. A plate with fixed nuts was spot welded inside for the upper hinge. Lower hinges bolted to rear sill that had fixed nuts. If your plan is to add a hard top down the like would be sure the rear sill is solid. If it's been replaced be sure it's was done right. Them them replaced with pieces and just welded together. From one end to the other was one continuous piece. An over size spare and hard top will put a lot of strain on the passenger's rear corner.

@Living in the Past did some 40's come with spare tire carriers and some not? I'll snap a pic of the rear of the vehicle, the only threaded holes I recall were for the bumperettes and 4 holes under one of the ambulance doors that I assumed was the latch for the spare tire carrier.

So like the title says, my wife made me buy a 1973 FJ40 to shut me up about having to sell my last one. A few years ago I had a nice 1969 that I did a LM7 swap on (Build thread here if anyone is interested). Life happened and I had to choose which of my two project cars to keep so I sold the FJ40, I regretted it immediately.

Fast forward a few years later and a move to San Diego and here we are. I'm not thrilled with myself as I rushed through my inspection and missed some rust in the floor by the gas tank. I think eventually this will get treated to some bodywork and paint, it's a 10 footer for now.

Immediate goals are:
Power steering
Disc brakes

Long Term goals
Engine /trans swap
EFI

View attachment 1811803
Congrats on the new project! I got mine in San Diego back in 1998 and still have it up here in Laguna Hills. Parts of the pre-rebuild rig are probably still littering the 5 & 805 in areas 😂

That thing is looking really good. Can't wait to start working on Badger to be as nice as yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom